Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times

Advertisements

If you subscribe to magazines like BA or Food and Wine, you should realize that they tend to have recipes from global cuisines. Some ingredients are hard to find outside of large cities with many different cultures and the markets that supply them. Magazines like Southern Living or Taste of Home are less likely to offer recipes using "Exotic" ingredients. I love Mexican food, but some ingredients are not commercially available. I'd love to get my hands on some of the chilis that are only available locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! It has been over ten years and I can still remember the location of the cooler in Penn Dutch that has them and the various soft mozz. That store was the last place I could find reasonably priced lamb chops, and the fish there was REAL fresh fish. However, I think the store only has one or two locations, so just the mention of the name is a tease for most people on the forum.

Hmmm, I've got some cheese I bought from a farm in Tennessee that needs to be used... poutine... I like!
Only 2, but the person I was answering has their location as FTL, so... They have even more cheese now than they used to, even some fairly "exotic" ones for a store like PD. Their meat and produce prices are still great, as are their seafood prices and they still have very nice fresh fish. Only place we can go to that is cheaper is a restaurant supply place but you obviously have to buy in quantity there.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
We've found another thing to dislike about some magazine recipes: misleading preparation time.

The prep time for a dish might be listed as, say, 20 minutes, but that is AFTER having assembled constituent ingredients, which themselves sometimes have independent very long prep times. Add the prep times together and it might really be an hour of active work in the kitchen, not the advertised 20 minutes.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:22 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
I have a very old version of betty crocker that has all eorts of subetitutions as well as Joy of Cooking. The binding is literally falling apart. If I see something, oike rare french wine, i will look up subs. Vegetable broth, for example, usually suffices oddly enough.

I am not going to go buy some expensive ingrediant that will get used once, then the remainder thrown away. But subs are always out there.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:55 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
The recipe I can't get out of my head is raspberry rose sable cookies. I found freeze dried raspberries easily enough (Trader Joe's) but rose extract? What would you substitute and is there any other brand than the $14 one they recommended in the recipe?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The recipe I can't get out of my head is raspberry rose sable cookies. I found freeze dried raspberries easily enough (Trader Joe's) but rose extract? What would you substitute and is there any other brand than the $14 one they recommended in the recipe?
I am not a fan of the flavor of rose, so I would substitute with an extract that I like that would complement a fruit. Perhaps almond or walnut extract.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I would substitute with rose water. It's very common in middle eastern cooking and costs a few dollars a bottle. Do you have a middle eastern community in your area? You can probably order online too if not.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:38 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would substitute with rose water. It's very common in middle eastern cooking and costs a few dollars a bottle. Do you have a middle eastern community in your area? You can probably order online too if not.
I was just going to suggest that too, but read the label. Some orange and rose waters are made with just chemicals and have a funky taste to me compared with those made the old fashioned way by steeping.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
many times I come across a recipe that interests me and then down on the list it calls for some kind exotic French wine and/or something like oudielle sausage that I have never even heard of. Sometimes I think that the author of the recipe just wrote down items and then to direct you away from it put that exotic stuff in.
Feel free to substitute and eliminate as it suits you.

Just for example, recently I found a recipe for oat flour chocolate cookies; using the recipe as a base, I made oat flour raisin cookies. Results were satisfactory.

Next time I will replace sugar with molasses and maybe add peanut butter to the batter.

Lots you can do. Just take these recipes as idea starters.

Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
This thread reminds me when pad thai had first become popular around here and my daughter wanted to make it. We had a few Asian groceries around town and didn't have too much trouble finding fish sauce. But buying it left us in tears of laughter and puzzlement.

The bottle was excessively large considering the amount the recipe called for and I was doubtful that it would be something that got a lot of use in my home. The Thai grandma who was helping us and we had a communication barrier but it was plain that she could understand a great deal of what we were saying even though she lacked the vocabulary to address it.

So I'm questioning the size of the bottle with my daughter and Grandma says, "You buy this - you no die for one year." She says it several times insistently. I figure she's making a pretty good sales pitch and go ahead and buy the bottle.

We giggled a lot on the way home and later referring to the magic life-assuring fish sauce. It wasn't until several years later that it dawned on me what she was communicating. She was telling us not to worry about the size of the bottle because it would keep for a year.

After I tasted it I figured a year must have already gone past. Heh. But daughter loved the pad thai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes