Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 05:34 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

I love artichoke hearts and I eat them a lot in the spring time. I've had whole artichokes in restaurants but making them intimidates me, for some reason.

I've had them in restaurants and I like them.

Do you prepare them? What is your favorite method of preparation?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 07:44 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,896 times
DH bought two really nice artichokes this week and we enjoyed them yesterday evening. Not really a recipe, we just boil them for about 20 minutes (you'll know they're done when you can easily pull off one of the leaves near the stem) I was lucky to be able to kind of jam them into a sauce pan so they would stay under water and not float up. I've used a pressure cooker but sometimes I overcook them that way.

Then we tear the leaves off one at a time, dip the soft end into a bit of vinaigrette and scrape the soft portion off the leaf with our teeth. When all the leaves are off, scrape the hairs off the heart, dip into vinaigrette and yum yum yum. We even eat the stem although sometimes we need to peel away the outer most part of the stem.

We make the vinaigrette by whisking a good vinegar with Dijon mustard and then slowly adding olive oil while whisking very rapidly, to make an emulsion.You could flavor this vinaigrette with salt and pepper and garlic if you like.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:54 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,329,814 times
Saw them at costco this morning, 4 small heads for nearly 10 bucks.
I could just boil them, but then to prepare the sauce from scratch ... ?
I bought these in glass jars instead.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
DH bought two really nice artichokes this week and we enjoyed them yesterday evening. Not really a recipe, we just boil them for about 20 minutes (you'll know they're done when you can easily pull off one of the leaves near the stem) I was lucky to be able to kind of jam them into a sauce pan so they would stay under water and not float up. I've used a pressure cooker but sometimes I overcook them that way.

Then we tear the leaves off one at a time, dip the soft end into a bit of vinaigrette and scrape the soft portion off the leaf with our teeth. When all the leaves are off, scrape the hairs off the heart, dip into vinaigrette and yum yum yum. We even eat the stem although sometimes we need to peel away the outer most part of the stem.

We make the vinaigrette by whisking a good vinegar with Dijon mustard and then slowly adding olive oil while whisking very rapidly, to make an emulsion.You could flavor this vinaigrette with salt and pepper and garlic if you like.
This one sounds easy, elegant and perfect since I love Dijon mustard. It emulsifies so easily.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Saw them at costco this morning, 4 small heads for nearly 10 bucks.
I could just boil them, but then to prepare the sauce from scratch ... ?
I bought these in glass jars instead.

That's what I usually do. I am trying to make a whole one.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:10 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,530,131 times
1 of my favorite ways to eat whole artichokes is cooked over a wood fire. Each bulb is seasoned with salt, olive oil, chopped parsley and chopped garlic. Roast them until the center leaves pull out easily. Discard the outer burnt leaves and dig in.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
1 of my favorite ways to eat whole artichokes is cooked over a wood fire. Each bulb is seasoned with salt, olive oil, chopped parsley and chopped garlic. Roast them until the center leaves pull out easily. Discard the outer burnt leaves and dig in.
That sounds really delicious!

Old 04-10-2021, 07:51 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post

We do similar, except melted butter instead of vinaigrette. Sometimes some garlic in the butter. I'll be trying the vinaigrette next time!

But I stopped booking them after I discovered the microwave method. Trim them and cut the stem so its a FLAT bottom. Rub all open wounds with lemon juice, squeeze remaining lemon juice on top of artichoke. Half lemon per choke. Put them in a casserole or bowl or any microwave safe thing where they will fit tightly standing up. Chicken broth or water in the dish, just enough to reach about 1/3rd inch. Throw in the leftover lemons. Cover with plastic wrap, or use the casserole top if it fits.

Microwave 6-10 minutes depending on size. Rest 2 minutes or so. The flavor stays in the artichoke instead of the boiling water. This method is easy to do, easy to cleanup, and REALLY improves the flavor.

I tried IP twice. No extra benefit in flavor to justify getting it out of the closet or the extra time.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 04-10-2021 at 08:01 AM..

Old 04-10-2021, 12:45 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I usually steam them, with a few lemon slices in the water underneath the basket. I melt butter and stir in some Vegeta or Maggi powdered seasoning, for dipping the individual leaves. I trim off the pokey parts before serving, of course Best part is getting down to the heart, scraping out the fluff, and eating the disc and stem.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:27 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Love artichokes! Here’s one of my summer favorites:

Grilled Artichokes with Lemon Garlic Aioli

Ingredients

For artichokes
1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 artichokes
2 tablespoons olive oil

For aioli
1 cup mayonnaise or veganaise
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
pinch of paprika
pinch of salt
pinch of white pepper
pinch of cayenne (optional)

Instructions

For artichokes
Pour 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice into a large bowl and fill the rest of the way with cold water.
Cut most of stem off artichokes, peel off outer layer or two of leaves and slice off the top 1/3 of the artichoke. Halve or quarter artichoke lengthwise, depending on size.
Using small knife or grapefruit spoon, remove choke and small prickly leaves. Place artichoke in lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Drain artichokes, add to pot, and boil until crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. Transfer artichokes to rack and cool. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).

Prepare barbecue to medium-high heat. Mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Brush artichokes with olive oil mixture and grill until tender and lightly charred, turning occasionally, about 10-15 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature with garlic aioli.

For aioli
To prepare aioli, mix together mayonnaise, lemon zest, 1-2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice, garlic, salt and cayenne in small bowl. Refrigerate.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-10-2021 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes