Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 12:57 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times

Advertisements

First, some ground rules. I have not used syrup since Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. So all I putting on them, so far, is butter.

As a Type II, corn meal is better for me than flour. So my pan cakes are half corn meal, half corn flour, the "sugar" is splenda, using non fat milk and egg.

So what kind of spice can I add to batter to better the taste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 01:02 PM

13,065 posts, read 7,500,158 times
salt.
Monk fruit sugar because it browns the pancake as regular sugar.
dash of vanilla, almond flavorings, and/or nutmeg, all spice, cinnamon, cardamon, fennel.
a pinch of fine white or black pepper.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Can you put honey on the pancakes? Would definitely improve the flavor...
And as previously noted, a dash of vanilla.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
salt.
Monk fruit sugar because it browns the pancake as regular sugar.
dash of vanilla, almond flavorings, and/or nutmeg, all spice, cinnamon, cardamon, fennel.
a pinch of fine white or black pepper.
That's what I use, all of the supermarkets have Monkfruit sugar now, but also Amazon. I haven't tried it, but I read that you can caramelize Monkfruit sugar, that would make a tasty sugar-free syrup. If you like maple syrup, they do sell an imitation that's sugar-free.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,417 times
On the savory side, you can add bacon bits, or any other meat cut up fine. Chopped peppers and/or onion add a nice flavor, too. Season with cumin, chili powder, etc.

Fry in bacon grease for even more flavor.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:54 PM

75 posts, read 65,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
First, some ground rules. I have not used syrup since Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. So all I putting on them, so far, is butter.

As a Type II, corn meal is better for me than flour. So my pan cakes are half corn meal, half corn flour, the "sugar" is splenda, using non fat milk and egg.

So what kind of spice can I add to batter to better the taste?
Hey Tamara,

Here's another idea that might work better than corn meal and corn flour.

Birch Benders Pancake Mix (all you do is add water)

As for syrup here's one made of monk fruit (which is a safe natural sweetener)
Lakanto Maple Syrup (zero sugar)

Full disclaimer: I've not tried this particular Birch Benders product but I have tried there other products (such as their cake cups) and they have been very good (despite having zero sugar).

Hope that helps

Old 05-16-2022, 04:40 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Pure cornmeal without any flour? I suggest that you look into making fried mush instead. Make your cornmeal mush and the chill it in a loaf pan. Slice it and fry the slices in butter or oil until they are crispy on the outside.

Cinnamon goes well with cornmeal and maybe a very scant pinch of clove,. But if yo don't want to use sugar, cook finely diced onions with the cornmeal and go the savory route with your fried mush. You can still use cinnamon in a smaller amount.

A fried egg or any of the traditional breakfast meats go really well with fried mush.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:14 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
you can use agave syrup if you are diabetic

Old 05-16-2022, 08:37 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Bacon!

Old 05-17-2022, 09:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Okay, tried cocoa and nutmeg this morning. Could taste the nutmeg but not the cocoa and further, the cocoa, I think, changes the texture if not structure of the pancake. They ended up this morning very crumbly.

Tomorrow, I will try cinnamon, with or without the nutmeg.

As to other things, syrup of any kind is not in the ball park. I gave up on syrup back when Neil Armstrong walked the moon and never went back. I gave up for a childish and not a health reason, have only been a medicated Type II in the last 2 years or so, but gave up never the less. Having syrup on my pancakes and waffles is not something I do, not done in decades, and I am not going to start now.

Equally, I don't do bacon. It is a meat that never worked its way into my diet.

Special "flours" are rather out of the question especially in these massive inflation times. Besides, my Doctor has told me that corn meal is okay for me, she wants me on corn and not flour tortillas, and I am willing to listen to her.

The house is loaded with spices, so let's focus there, for taste and now, how it might affect the batter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes