Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 04:46 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: I eat rice so seldom & am moving soon, so don't want to buy a rice cooker. The only small appliance I have is a 1-qt crockpot.

But, I want to experiment with egg foo young recipes... it's about the only Chinese dish I like (no offense to anyone... just not my thing) & I don't want to pay $15+ at a restaurant for something that will cost me less than $4 to cook at home. I also have so many food allergies it's mind-numbing, so I want to use my own ingredients so I don't get rashes, choke, headache or have an asthma attack. < End disclaimer >

Here's the problem, I have no bloody idea how to cook rice without making it a soupy, inedible mush or the opposite, a sticky, inedible clump. I've followed a number of written recipes to the tee... some say 1C rice to 2C water... others say 1C rice to 1-1/4C water... I've also done everything in-between. I'm a great cook, but with rice, I haven't eaten it enough to know how to properly cook it or adjust a recipe.

Also, don't know if this matters, but I've watched a few YTube vids which said rinse the rice 3 times. I've never done that cuz it's not on the rice pkg. Maybe my issue is something as simple as that?

I'm making nothing special... I'm not a rice enthusiast, so white, long-grain, Jasmine, brown... I don't care cuz I won't eat it often enough where it's an issue. For egg foo young, atm, plain ol' white rice is what I've got.

I've tried to cook it stovetop in a pot with a lid, but my preference would be to use my small, 1-qt crockpot, if possible... basically toss it in & forget it for a few hrs.

So, my q... do any of you cook white rice stove top or in a crockpot so that you can guide me to make a fluffy rice, so I can make a nice EFY?

Thank you very much.

P.S. Any website recommendations for cooking Chinese food? I'll just be Googling EFY recipes, so a recommendation from someone who's used the recipes would be ideal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 05:16 PM

Lol. After looking up some recipes, I just realized rice isn't IN egg foo young. See, that's how little I know about any subject around rice.

Still, I'd like to make some rice with the EFY. Since a restaurant always serves rice with it, I just thought it was mixed into the recipe. Some people need to read more.

So, I'm still interested in instructions for properly cooking rice. TY.

Old 05-09-2023, 05:21 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
The 2 to 1 ratio works for me, two parts water to one part rice. Bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, I turn of the heat, & put a lid on it, & let it sit until it is cooked. This works on electric stoves, as the heat lingers, if you use gas, you may have to let it on a very low heat for a few minutes. I like to add some chicken bouillon to the rice with the water.

Or you can buy ready cooked rice which you just microwave. It is more expensive but might be worth it, for an occasional meal.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
1 part rice/2 parts water

Bring water to a boil, I usually add a little butter, stir in rice, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes, fluff with spoon and you're good to go.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The 2 to 1 ratio works for me, two parts water to one part rice. Bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, I turn of the heat, & put a lid on it, & let it sit until it is cooked. This works on electric stoves, as the heat lingers, if you use gas, you may have to let it on a very low heat for a few minutes. I like to add some chicken bouillon to the rice with the water.

Or you can buy ready cooked rice which you just microwave. It is more expensive but might be worth it, for an occasional meal.
TY for your reply, ES.

That's the way I usually make it & it doesn't work for me... maybe I'm boiling it too much before I remove it from the heat. I've made pasta that way forever & even though I rarely eat that, too, it works great for me. I seem to be a complete failure with rice.

With allergies, I can't eat frozen... there are additives. I make all my own food... I have to.

I'm getting annoyed. I may just take the rice Ihave left over, find a wedding & stand in line to toss it. Then just get a Chinese takeout a few times to satiate my egg foo young craving. I sometimes risk a reaction, so I avoid eating out for anything.

I just wanted to begin making something new. There's so much I can't eat, I'm getting bloody bored.

I think I'll just nix it.

Thx again, ES.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:40 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
You can buy ready cooked rice on the shelf. I think you just need to microwave it. Sold in pouches.
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/microwave-rice

If you have an electric cooker, don't remove the pot of rice from it, just turn it off, so the residual heat will continue to cook your rice. Be sure to have a good lid on it, so the steam will cook the rice.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You can buy ready cooked rice on the shelf. I think you just need to microwave it. Sold in pouches.
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/microwave-rice
Yes, but they contain additives, preservatives. As I said, I'm allergic to so many things... I cannot eat frozen foods or pre-packaged foods or processed. It's exhausting to find ready-made food that won't cause a reaction.

Quote:
If you have an electric cooker, don't remove the pot of rice from it, just turn it off, so the residual heat will continue to cook your rice. Be sure to have a good lid on it, so the steam will cook the rice.
Right. That's how I always cook it. Maybe it's just the one thing I'll have to go without save for the one every 6-yr visit to a Chinese place for a takeout. Then, I usually itch from head to toe, inside & out for a day & go another 6-yrs without.

Thx. I'm not going to bother. It's not a big deal. I'll get a take-out sometime this week.

TY for your help, ES.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:13 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I fix Success Rice all the time. Its virtually fool proof.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I fix Success Rice all the time. Its virtually fool proof.
Okay, TY, CD. I see the box says only 1 ingredient & you just boil the bag, so there's no guessing. I'll have to check the grocery isles to see if it's there & can read the box thoroughly. Didn't know anything like this existed (or the recommendations by ES), cuz I just avoid the canned isle, frozen food isle. Everything's so loaded with junk, I can't even eat tuna in a can without getting a rash from head to toe & that just lists tuna & either water or oil as ingredients. Unsure what causes the reaction, but after decades of it, sometimes I just want to toss aisles of food to the floor. I hate food shopping.

I'll check it out, TY.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:38 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
Invest in a rice cooker.

When you make large batches of rice, it's easy to burn the bottom on a stove.

Just saying......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes