Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 12:25 PM

8,775 posts, read 5,068,013 times

Advertisements

When I cook a porkloin, I save some, especially the fatty part, for pork fried rice.....that with lots of broccoli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 02:16 PM

28,937 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
When I cook a porkloin, I save some, especially the fatty part, for pork fried rice.....that with lots of broccoli.
Great idea

Old 06-20-2023, 02:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
The secret is leftover rice as it is dry .
Restaurants use them as they have plenty left

Old 06-20-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The secret is leftover rice as it is dry .
Restaurants use them as they have plenty left
yes, all the recipes I've looked at suggests to cook your rice the day before and refrigerate overnight.

Going to try this next week, along with egg foo young....which I can eat for breakfast....lol

Old 06-21-2023, 01:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I often make fried rice, pot stickers, sweet and sour pork or chicken, sizzling rice soup and yes, egg foo yung. The latter is a bit tricky, unless you have those little silicone egg molds that lie in the pan to keep the egg from spreading all over. Beat the eggs, add a little soy sauce, then I will use bean sprouts, chopped green onions, mushrooms, and Chinese BBQ pork chopped into small pieces. ladle into the pan with a small amount of sesame oil and try to keep in a 4-6" circle while it cooks, then when no more liquid turn over a few seconds and it's done. I will use either store bought beef gravy in a jar or Bisto beef gravy mix, add that to the pan with them to cover over and under and serve.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I often make fried rice, pot stickers, sweet and sour pork or chicken, sizzling rice soup and yes, egg foo yung. The latter is a bit tricky, unless you have those little silicone egg molds that lie in the pan to keep the egg from spreading all over. Beat the eggs, add a little soy sauce, then I will use bean sprouts, chopped green onions, mushrooms, and Chinese BBQ pork chopped into small pieces. ladle into the pan with a small amount of sesame oil and try to keep in a 4-6" circle while it cooks, then when no more liquid turn over a few seconds and it's done. I will use either store bought beef gravy in a jar or Bisto beef gravy mix, add that to the pan with them to cover over and under and serve.
thank you, I'm going to try it....

Old 06-22-2023, 08:14 AM

12,052 posts, read 8,436,379 times
This is a recipe I got from "Sunset" magazine years ago. It's fried rice but not the standard we often think of. With its lemony flavor and bit of a bite it goes very well with teriyaki.

2-3 Tablespoons oil
1/2 C. sliced green onion and 1/4 C. chopped parsley

Stir-fry about one minute. Turn up heat and add:

1 10 oz. pkg. frozen peas, thawed. There's your lots of peas!
4 C. cold cooked rice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
Dash of liquid hot pepper sauce. I use Tabasco but I think Sriracha would be better.

Stir fry until heated through and rice is slightly dry.

The original recipe calls for butter instead of oil but I think it just isn't right that way.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:22 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Looking for a great Fried Rice Recipe....

I've had it with the food out here, over the weekend bought chinese food and their fried rice is a joke...they don't put anything in it but a few peas, nor do they fry it, maybe there was a few peas in it, no flavoring and they charged me $9.00 for it....so I bought a wok, and am getting into making my own chinese food. I've been all over to the Asian Restaurants and no one makes it like back home, it has color, mostly a yellow color, with veggies and chinese veggies in it....

so, how do you make your fried rice....? Would appreciate some recipes....
thank you
I don't have a recipe, but there are some basic ingredients and tricks I like to use:

Mostly neutral oil, but about a teaspoon of Seseme oil really helps
Always scramble a few eggs in it
Some form of meat product (Smoked Pork is my preference, but chicken, beef, shrimp, and even "tofu" work)
I prefer brown rice over white, but either works. I've heard it helps to freeze it first, never tried
^Assume you'd have to spread it out, maybe put on wax paper on a baking sheet to freeze and not get a giant lump?
Nice cheat: Get a bag of frozen soup veggies (Carrot, Peas, Corn), about $1 for the generic kind, makes life easy and food taste good.
I like to add some Chinese Five Spice Powder, it's not really "authentic" though

Also, to make it really good, create a paste of Garlic and Ginger (Equal amounts, fresh) in your food processor, and add a big spoonful or more.

I finish mine with a splash of Rice Vinegar and Soy, with a very small dash of fish oil.

Make it even better by throwing in a huge handful of fresh basil leaves at the end.

EDIT: I didn't see the post below, but this is well stated. Pretty much what I do (except I move the "almost finished" fried rice, create an empty space in the bottom of my wok, crack the eggs, give them a spin, and then fold them right into the dish before finishing). Oregonwoodsmoke wrote it much more clearly than I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't really have a recipe. Cook the rice and then chill it.

Heat a little bit of oil in a frying pan, Scramble one egg, and then remove it, cut it into small pieces, and set it aside

Add more oil to the pan if needed, but don't use any more than the absolute minimum required. Sauté a bunch of chopped onion, fresh garlic, and finely minced fresh ginger, brown some scraps of meat of any variety, add a bunch of veggies chopped small, throw in the rice, stir while it heats, then add a dollop of soy sauce, a squirt of Sriracha, perhaps a glug of rice wine. At this point add the egg back.

Just before serving, stir in a bit of sesame oil.

I like it done with a generous amount of vegetables, and just about any mix of veggies: broccoli, snow peas, napa cabbage, green onions, anything else you fancy, and don't forget the water chestnuts. I like the veggies barely warmed through and still crunchy.

If I am really planning ahead, I will have the meat cut and marinating for a couple of hours before I start.

My best fried rice is made using the leftover marinade from bulgogi. The meat goes on the grill, the leftover marinade is poured into the rice as it fries

Leftover fried rice is good, so don't be shy about making a large batch.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:29 AM

12,493 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Default Nasi Goreng

The classic Indonesian fried rice is called Nasi Goreng - which is literally "Rice Fried" :-). I just grabbed some recipes here off the net that have strong reviews.

Some tips:
- You'll normally include a protein - pork, chicken or shrimp, and you cook this meat by itself (maybe with some garlic), *before* adding it to the rice so it gets fully cooked. You could skip meat and use soybeans (edamame) instead if you want to keep things vegetarian.

- The soy sauce you use makes a huge difference. The best is a good Indonesian soy sauce - I like the ABC semi-sweet soy sauce best, but the sweet (manis) from ABC or Conimex are good also. If for whatever reason you can't get this, use a real low-sodium soy sauce - not only will it be healthier, it'll taste better if the dish isn't made too salty by a typical mega-salty soy sauce

- You don't use fresh cooked, hot rice - that's still too wet and it won't fry nicely, instead it will steam more and get soggy - you're going to be adding water in the form of soy sauce, so you want the rice to be dry to start. At an absolute minimum, you want to use fully cooled rice - it dries while it's cooling... or you can use it cooked the day before.

- Totally optional, but a classic thing to do is to serve a fried over-easy egg on the plated Nasi Goreng servings

Now some recipes...
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...tir-fried-rice

https://www.recipetineats.com/nasi-g...an-fried-rice/

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/nasi-goreng/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 06-22-2023 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 11:12 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Thank you so very much, greatly appreciate.....

do you also have a recipe for egg foo young?
I use Chef Paul Prudhomme's recipe for west coast egg foo young. it is online if you google.

I modify. I don't use crab meat or ham. I use chicken or beef or pork. But the seasoning and cooking instructions are right on.

My only problem with egg foo young is that it can be difficult to find fresh bean sprouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes