Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 09:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This morning I made potato salad to tonight's dinner. Whenever my son's friend comes to dinner, he requests my potato salad, which I think is odd because it is pretty much ordinary potato salad. The only thing I can figure is that he doesn't cook, so probably the only potato salad he gets is at restaurants, where they are conscientious about costs.

I cook the potatoes and hard boiled eggs the night before, and make the salad in the morning so the mayonnaise has time to soak in. All it is is:

Best Foods mayonnaise
Salt (I use seasons salt)
Pepper (freshly ground)

cubes of cooked potatoes
Finely diced onions
Hard cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
sweet pickles, cubed

I am generous with the sweet pickles and only buy the good ones: Vlasic or Mt Olive. I'm also generous with the hard cooked eggs.

Sometimes I put a couple of drops of Tapatio hot sauce in the dressing. Sometimes I put in little rings of green onion because that looks nice.

Occasionally, I have to add a bit more mayonnaise before serving if too much of the mayo has soaked int the potatoes.

The friend isn't coming to dinner tonight, but I might have to send a container of potato salad for him to work in the morning.

My recipe is like yours except I add sweet & dill pickle relish, a little yellow mustard, chopped celery & kosher salt.

My MIL added sliced black olives & radishes, no mustard.

I love potato salad, it's very forgiving, & every way is the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 05:01 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Sometimes, I just want Miracle Whip.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:35 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
I put Clausen dill pickle juice in addition to some dill relish in mine. I like the onion chopped rather large -- so I can taste the onion. I also put the leafy parts of celery in mine and use Dijon mustard along with the mayo.
I also top mine with stuffed green olives and paprika.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:13 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
I grew up from the age of 10 believing I was allergic to eggs, they would make me ill if I ate them, so I never made potato salad with them. Found out about 11 years ago at the age of 58, it was a bad gallbladder not an allergy.

Anyway, I don’t add eggs to mine, never grew to like eggs in mine in recent years.
Mine is simple, Dukes mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, a bit of dill weed, then add to the cold cooked potatoes.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
OP, I like your potato salad recipe except for the sweet pickles and hot sauce drops. Other than that, it's perfect.

Some people liked the potatoes cubed while others like them mashed. I like cubed.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:01 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Like to read the variations.

A friend who worked in a restaurant as a young woman told me to peel the potatoes while they were as hot as you could handle. Cube them, salt and pepper, dash with a splash of white vinegar and add chopped onions and let them marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Finish the rest in the morning.

Sometimes I add green olives or celery.

For German potato salad I still use the Betty Crocker recipe but slice the potatoes thin as for frying.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:07 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Apparently, it is a reginal thing and the folks in North Idaho love dill. The potato salad here is loaded with it. It doesn't matter where you buy it, it is strongly flavored with dill.

I'm not a fan of dill, especially when it is really strong, so I can no longer buy potato salad. Potato salad is a big project so I used to occasionally buy a good brand of prepared potato salad. No more. All potato salad at my house is home made.

The worst chore when making potato salad is peeling the hard cooked eggs. I got those little silicone Egglets to make hard cooked eggs and now the eggs are not too much trouble. The little silicone cups have to be washed, but that is nothing compared to picking egg shells off of hard boiled eggs,

Old 04-02-2024, 09:46 AM

27,165 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I had become a convert to Southern-style Potato Salad with the addition of mustard and the eggs simply halved before mixing in so they're in bigger chunks versus blended in. But then Southern Living had to print a recipe for Deviled Egg Potato Salad and now that's all I ever want. It's a definite must try!

https://www.southernliving.com/recip...g-potato-salad

Old 04-02-2024, 10:35 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
That sounds delicious, except for the hot sauce. I have to try that potato salad I bought at the deli.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:03 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sometimes, I just want Miracle Whip.
I did, too, until Walmart permanently traumatized me. I am fond of Duke's, but can't always get it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes