Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
bought them

I haven't made the chocolate rum balls in a while. Fifty nine cents at Aldi? That's insane! I'd have bough them. Mom and I would sit at the kitchen table and eat pomegranate in December. Dad didn't have that much time, and the older siblings were too busy to care.
As a kid, they were nothing but a pain in the you know where to our moms. So many of us had trees and we would just pick them, throw them on the ground, pick them up and start digging out the seeds. They stained everything, but boy was it fun.

Now,as for the cookies, well I made a batch yesterday, the flavor was great, the consistency awful. I thought they were not solid enough and I was right. They all ran together, I couldn't do anything but toss them. I did have a little batter left, add a bit more flour and baked them. They were better, but still the recipe I used was just not right. I will try again, using a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:48 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As a kid, they were nothing but a pain in the you know where to our moms. So many of us had trees and we would just pick them, throw them on the ground, pick them up and start digging out the seeds. They stained everything, but boy was it fun.

Now,as for the cookies, well I made a batch yesterday, the flavor was great, the consistency awful. I thought they were not solid enough and I was right. They all ran together, I couldn't do anything but toss them. I did have a little batter left, add a bit more flour and baked them. They were better, but still the recipe I used was just not right. I will try again, using a different one.
You could have crumbled them for the base of a cheesecake or a parfait since you said the taste was great. They would have kept well in the freezer until your next creation.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:39 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,316,869 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ies/?tid=a_inl

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e146f03d1e33

Old 12-17-2016, 09:44 AM

The sweet results of this year's Los Angeles Times Holiday Cookie Bake-Off - LA Times

5 fave holiday cookie recipes from readers of LA Times.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:34 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Sorry, I don't have anyway to post the photo, so I hope you can understand the description. These would be quick and good for a cookie assortment that is going to anywhere that there are children.

Santa Claus Cookies

1 package nutter butter cookies (the ones that look like peanuts)
12 ounces white chocolate
red colored sugar
32 vanilla or white chips
64 miniature chocolate chips
32 red hot candies

Melt the white chocolate and dip each end of the nutter butters into the chocolate. one end is going to be Santa's beard and the other end is his hat. Leave the middle uncovered.

Sprinkle red sugar on the top half of one end, leaving a band of white to be the trim on the hat. Place a white chip on the top of the hat to be the pompom.

In the middle, the red hot is Santa's nose and two mini chocolate chips are his eyes Fasten them on with a dot of the melted white chocolate

Old 12-22-2016, 07:51 AM

How to make 9 types of cookies using 1 basic recipe | Food & cooking | tucson.com

Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Hope it's not too early to bump this thread - we sat together with my daughter this afternoon to make a list of the cookies we will bake for Christmas. I inherited several trays for mini muffins (and other small treats) so we found some recipes for different kinds of tassies.

Got to thinking we would like to try something new this year - we found an adorable 'melted snow man' cookie on bhg's website which she was very enthused about.

Anyone want to share some of their cookie ideas for this Christmas?

Old 10-17-2017, 03:38 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have all of my mom's cookie recipes. She has retired from making them about 3 years ago. it was a tradition since I was born. She gave them as gifts during Christmas. Unfortunately I did not keep up with the tradition. I make a few here and there but she made like 10 different types and some were easy and some not so easy. She would make at least 2-3 dozen of each kind. She was a SAHM up until 20 years ago. So she had the time to do this. She's been working full time for 20 years and she's 72. She doesn't have the stamina anymore plus she liked to make them by hand no mixer. I will share a few in the next few days.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Pecan butter balls

2 cups flour
1/4 granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter softened
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups finely chopped pecans
3 Tbsp confectioners sugar(optional)

In a medium bowl stir togther flour, granulated sugar and salt, add butter and vanilla blending with a wooden spoon into s asmooth soft dough. Add pecans and mix well. Shape into 1 inch balls. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet on 325 degrees for 25 minutes or until firm and lightly browned on the bottom. While still warm dip each cookie in either granulated sugar or powdered sugar (your choice)my mom dips hers in granulated sugar. If you use powder sugar sift the sugar over the cookies.

My mom never uses a stand mixer to make her cookies she does them all by hand as she has done for 30 years. She prefers it this way.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:44 PM

Raspberry bars Recipe:

crumb mixture:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup of sugar
1 egg
2 sticks of butter softened
Mix the above on low speed of an electric mixture or you can mix by hand,

Step 2:
grease an 8X8 square pan
by hand add half of the crumb mixture
add 8 ounces of raspberry preserves or any flavor preserves you like.
then add the other half of the mixture. bake on 350 degrees for 45 minutes. make sure bars are cooled before cutting into squares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes