Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:36 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times

Advertisements

I was just on FB and read a few status updates from single moms telling each other happy fathers day. How they're both mother and father so they deserve to be celebrated on this day also. Then there were other updates talking about deadbeat dads and the hate they have for their fathers. I was like wow at all the 'father' bashing.

Do you think single mothers deserve recognition on fathers day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Although the single mothers have a very good point on this one; I think it just breeds negative energy and people should try to focus on staying positive. Life throws enough negativity your way without you adding to it.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Well if the (deadbeat) dad is nowhere to be found on Father's Day, and that mom is doing dad type activities with the child or children, then why shouldn't she get some Father's Day recognition? And by dad type activities, I mean teaching the children how to throw a baseball or some other sport, or volunteering to be a scout leader.

And I suppose it also depends on how the dad became a deadbeat. I feel that some of these baby momma types didn't put the daddy's name on the birth certificate and/or didn't pursue getting child support from him legally... perhaps in order to collect welfare. Or maybe they got pregnant with a man that is chronically underemployed and a failure at life. But whatever the reason why, those mom's have to take some of the blame for the guy's deadbeat status. They should have been pickier about who they were dating. And on birth control pills and using condoms when having sex with a man that wasn't proven good daddy material.

Otherwise, it can be a little odd feeling for the whole family to just ignore the holiday when other families all around them are celebrating the holiday.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Although the single mothers have a very good point on this one; I think it just breeds negative energy and people should try to focus on staying positive. Life throws enough negativity your way without you adding to it.

Good post.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Why is it ok for these single moms to bash their baby daddies? They picked the losers to be the fathers of their children in the first place.

Why are these single moms deserving of "praise" and "attaboy" when they are simply dealing with the consequences of immature decisions?

Its called growing the hell up.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Yes, just like I feel that if a single Father is raising his kids and trying to make sure they are well rounded and doing all the things a Mother usually does for the kids they should be allowed to celebrate Mothers Day.

If a single Mother is raising her kids alone ad does both parents jobs, then she has every right to be celebrated for her role as "Father" to her children.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why is it ok for these single moms to bash their baby daddies? They picked the losers to be the fathers of their children in the first place.

Why are these single moms deserving of "praise" and "attaboy" when they are simply dealing with the consequences of immature decisions?

Not all single Moms fit your description. There are plenty who have lost their husbands to death or other legitimate reasons Trying to make all single Mothers fit a narrow profile is wrong.

bashing the Fathers is wrong as well if that is what others are doing. Although I have zero respect for a deadbeat/uninterested Father.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
Quote:

Love your attitude...you don't know each individual story of single Mothers....or how their exes turned into "losers". Some people start out in a marriage as good people and fathers, and turn into losers later for one reason or another.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:08 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Some father's deserve to be bashed. However, the only reason one would do so on facebook today is for personal ego, not for justice. It's intended to take attention away from happy people in order to turn the spotlight on your sadsack self. It's pathetic. (and this is comin from someone whose father was a straight up azzhole.)

Old 06-20-2010, 01:09 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
*sigh*

I'm going to have to really start advocating for harsher educational standards in the classroom.

IT TAKES TWO PEOPLE TO MAKE A BABY.....A MAN...AND...A WOMAN.

Where is the father? She make have picked a loser to sleep with but he is a loser for not taking care of the kids he helped create.

Quote:
Because someone has got to step up and be the "man" since the boys who made these children are off sleeping in their mommies basement and playing X-box all day.

Quote:
Yes, and contrary to popular belief....it works both ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships