Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:02 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times

Advertisements

Lack of ambition is one thing - heck, men marry women like that every day! It's not a traditional male trait, however, and isn't accepted. Of course, lack of ambition is a far cry from being unable or unwilling to hold down a job! I would expect any capable adult should be held to that standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 AM

77 posts, read 89,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Anyone know of some ambitious women with men lacking ambition? Perhaps it's more common in younger generations, but I find it annoying when I see driven females with unambitious men (And vice versa, but that's another story). I have a cousin who never had steady employment, and has been out of work for over a year and a half. Yet he spends most of his time sleeping, playing video games and hanging out with friends. Social time is good, but even his friends have their own jobs and other responsibilities. Meanwhile his girlfriend has finished school, has a job as a registered dietitian, and has had her own apartment by the time she was 21. He's still living at her parent's house. What irritates me is that he's bright, as he was in higher level classes in school; but he was the type that never really applied himself.

Thankfully now, he's finally started working part-time this month, which is a step in the right direction, and I hope he continues reaching toward his potential. However, I see cases in which some men don't try to do better, while their significant others are doing otherwise.

My general question is why would women get involved/stay involved with men that don't have it together? Is it a lack of self worth? Wanting to "be in control"? Both?

(Note, I'm not speaking of cases in which the women make more while the guy is still meaningfully contributing in a relationship [i.e. also working/a stay-at-home-dad/completing higher education, etc.] I'm speaking of cases in which the woman have goals and work toward them while the men really do nothing but act more like children.)
Ahh i used to do that hahahah play games all day never worked for 4 years because i was living off my parents when i was staying in West Hollywood a few years ago.

I was only concerned with dating and playing video games ahahhahaa.

I think it's just a guy thing.

I don't have any ambitions but my woman does and consequently she has really good at her job and is climbing the corporate ladder constantly.

I work on and off in the oil and gas industry offshore and overseas. Sadly i do not have any ambitions. I have even told my boss don't give me jobs that has responsibilities.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

c'mon kramar, that's no secret.
I keep hearing this assertion that men and women are equal. That they all have the same qualities and capabilities. That the 100-pound firewoman is perfectly capable of carrying her 240-pound teammate out of the burning building.

Are you saying that's not true? That there are certain differences, and so different treatments for men and for women?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Interesting thread!

I see this quite often and live on the fringes of it myself.

Here's my observation. Men who are well off, powerful and successful, look for dependent women who are more fluff than substance. Women who will worship them and their accomplishments. They don't want intelligent, successful women they could see as competitors. Women who are well off go for the same things as the men. Very seldom have I ever seen successful men and women together.

I know there are always exceptions but that's what I see. The women I know who are successful are with men who are less successful. And the men are the exact same way. Quite a few of these relationships are happy too. I guess it doesn't matter as long as it works for you.

What's new about this whole scenario is the successful female side of things. Successful men have been doing this for eons and it's nothing new.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
I know plenty of women who have MDs, PhDs, or MD/PhDs who end up with men who are not equally educated, and do not earn as much $. I see nothing wrong with it if they love each other, support each other emotionally, and contribute equal efforts into maintaining the household. It's just a classic gender role reversal, completely acceptable in this modern age.

These super smart women will not pick an underemployed, totally uneducated scumbag off the streets though. There is some baseline level of achievement that the men would need to qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships