Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I've been emailing for less than a week with this one guy. He lives in New England but visits my area often. The emails have gone well, however he's becoming TOO flattering and too excited about getting my emails. Examples:

"Great to get an e-mail from you. Makes my day just to know that you are there and writing to me. I can think of nothing better then to be your friend."

Makes his day just to know I am here and writing? How is this possible with someone he has never met, in less than a week?

"I hope that you had a great day and that tomorrow is even better. I really am truly looking forward to finding out more and getting to know you. I definitely looking forward to getting to the point where we trust each and and discuss everything and anything. Every time I log on now I am looking for an e-mail from you."

Everything and anything, not gonna happen in general, but definitely not before we meet.

"How is you weekend? I do miss your e-mails."

This was after 3 days.

This kind of stuff has happened offline, but at least there was more personal interaction. I'll never understand how people fall in love online, or even get to this place before even meeting someone. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
This kind of stuff has happened offline, but at least there was more personal interaction. I'll never understand how people fall in love online, or even get to this place before even meeting someone. I don't get it.
Beware. Online, you're a relative unknown.

From his perspective, if he knows his life is good, the unknown probably doesn't seem very appealing. If he knows his life sucks, the unknown probably sounds GREAT; there's nowhere to go but up, right?

I find that people can use this type of blind positivity to mask the reality of how bad their lives are. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, though. Maybe you're just that awesome.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,216 times
Red flags, indeed.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
He sounds lonely. Just take your time.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,354 times
He certainly seems too excited. And considering it's less than a week, definitely red flags.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,078 times
...too thirsty acting already....definite red flag and it would be a turn-off for me.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Too gushy and fawning. Kind of clingy. I wouldn't call it a red flag, because he could just be trying too hard, but I don't think it's very attractive.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,216 times
Dating 101....NEVER EVER EVER show a woman that you are interested. Showing too much interest will get you nowhere.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I find that people can use this type of blind positivity to mask the reality of how bad their lives are. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, though. Maybe you're just that awesome.
LOL...there's no way for him to know what kind of person I am. I'm a good conversationalist, but I can't personally gush over that alone. I might be impressed, but not counting the seconds between emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
He sounds lonely. Just take your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Too gushy and fawning. Kind of clingy. I wouldn't call it a red flag, because he could just be trying too hard, but I don't think it's very attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
...too thirsty acting already....definite red flag and it would be a turn-off for me.
Clingy and lonely yes. Definitely not attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Dating 101....NEVER EVER EVER show a woman that you are interested. Showing too much interest will get you nowhere.
If men should NEVER EVER EVER show interest, how would they show too much?

If a guy didn't show interest, I wouldn't waste my time.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Well, online, you're an unknown.

From his perspective, If he knows his life is good, the unknown doesn't seem very appealing. If he knows his life sucks, the unknown sounds GREAT; there's nowhere to go but up, right?
I never heard it put that way, but it makes good sense. I've been in a couple online relationships in which I was probably "too eager too soon," and both originated at times when about any kind of relationship would have been an improvement. When you first meet someone online, it's so easy to make them into whatever you want (in your mind).

Or it might just be that he likes what he's reading. My first online romance ignited like a wildfire. Within 6 weeks I felt like I knew her better than anyone I'd ever met. And in truth, I really did. We were both very honest and open, as we lived 2000+ miles apart and didn't figure we'd ever meet in person.

We met after a couple months; she moved in with me a few months after that. She was the same person face-to-face as she was online, and it was the greatest love affair I'll ever know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships