Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 AM

545 posts, read 1,555,918 times

Advertisements

I just realized that I'm not interested in dating girls anymore. I just feel like I need to focus on other things in my life for now. Having a relationship just takes too much time and there's not much to gain (especially since I'm not interested in marriage right now... want to wait for at least 10 more years). It seems like a big hassle.

Does anyone else feel like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Absolutely. I am at the top of my career right now and I don't want anything getting in the way of that! All of the relationships I've had the girl wanted me to get married/have kids blah blah blah. I don't want any of that, too much of a hassle and too much drain on my lifestyle. I've opted out of it and I got a vasectomy so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

A good alternative to a relationship is to get friends with benefits. All the benefits of a relationship with no hassles! I love it!

Marriage/relationships are for losers.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:01 AM

525 posts, read 948,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I just realized that I'm not interested in dating girls anymore. I just feel like I need to focus on other things in my life for now. Having a relationship just takes too much time and there's not much to gain (especially since I'm not interested in marriage right now... want to wait for at least 10 more years). It seems like a big hassle.

sorry folks,

I hate to admit it but I'm single and not looking too, but for different reasons. It's not that I'm not interested in having a relationship or getting married, it's just that I'm not seeing what I would be interested in. People would say I'm one of the 'too picky' ones but, I don't think wanting a spouse that is at least sane, honest, and not overweight is being too picky. Is it? If they are at least two of those, then they are already taken. If they are all three of those, then they surely are from another country! jk I bring all those things to the table as well as a few other traits such as fidelity, integrity, brains, and hard work. I have flaws, problems, and plenty of imperfections but isn't it fair to expect the same or at least the three mentioned? really!

This is not gender bashing.. another reason I'm not looking is because as an alpha male I don't care how many tv commercials and movies she's been watching-- She is not my boss-- and I have no interest in being hers. (there goes the rest!)

Show me a lady who is at the minimum sane, honest, fit, and respects men.. then I'll be interested. I mean geezus, bring something to the table! Yes, I know, it's fantasy, I'm doomed..

Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post

Does it matter if anyone else feels like this? If being single is what you prefer, then it doesn't matter if anyone else shares your sentiment, now does it?

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and make some bold assumptions about a complete stranger based on very limited information provided on an internet chat forum (such as, most notably, your desire to seek affirmation and acceptance of your decision to remain conspicuously single which is a decision that really requires no affirmation from anyone but you). You're perfectly free to tell me that I'm off-base, and that may very well be true.

But I get the sense that you're really swearing off relationships because you've either had a colossal relationship failure, or a string of relationship failures, or worst of all, a string of colossal relationship failures, and you just don't want the pain, grief, and aggravation right now. And your explanations for why you don't want a relationship now sound like a defense against further discomfort. It's a perfectly understandable and not entirely unhealthy response. There comes a point where it's not worth the stings to try to get the honey. But keep an eye out for situations where the honey comes to you, because it often seems to happen when you've sworn off honey. Cliche, yes, but all too often true.

And maybe that's because once one stops focusing on trying to be in a relationship and starts focusing on who they are and what they want, they become a more attractive flower and those honeybees start coming to them. But you have to find yourself and blossom before the good honeybees can find you. Just be sure to recognize that blossoming and being ready for the honeybee doesn't necessarily involve a rigid time frame such as '10 years.'

So yeah, sorry about all of the assumptions and the lame drawn-out metaphor. This post may be useful, or it may not be. Take it or leave it, and I wish you well either way.

Last edited by Drover; 07-22-2010 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Absolutely. I am at the top of my career right now and I don't want anything getting in the way of that! All of the relationships I've had the girl wanted me to get married/have kids blah blah blah. I don't want any of that, too much of a hassle and too much drain on my lifestyle. I've opted out of it and I got a vasectomy so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

A good alternative to a relationship is to get friends with benefits. All the benefits of a relationship with no hassles! I love it!

I for one used to just not think about relationships and concentrated on my career instead. And if a girl came a long that I didn't want to pass up so be it. And just that happened to me and I'm quite happy.

I don't think especially in today's world that you need to be married or in a relationship. Different strokes for different folks and there's nothing wrong with one or the other.

To say marriage/relationship are for losers though is downright idiotic and just shows me what kind of person you are. I would say the real loser here is the one who ends up the single grumpy 75 yr old male with multiple STD's.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

Wow, that's just unnecessary. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be single for a while and focusing on yourself but to say marriage and relationships are for losers is just disrespectful, closed minded, immature and offensive. But I guess it works for you since I can't imagine anyone wanting to be in a relationship with someone who has such a lack of respect for other people anyway.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,662 times
not worried about relationships/marriage now, just going FWB route too. girls in their 20s dont know what they want and rarely treat guys with the same respect they demand so i do other things then when im horny go for FWB. minimum drama

Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
I think it would be a good idea to "not look so hard." You never seem to find anything you are looking to hard to find.

Mabey when you aren't looking so hard, you can truly be yourself and attract people that are good for you. Mabey that is why it always seems like you find that one person when you are least expecting it.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
I've felt that way my entire life. I've never "looked." I have always focused my interest on things in life that interested me. Somehow, I am not sure how or why, in that process, I happened to meet a lot of really great people that were interested in the same things that I was interested in.

I dated some of them. I lived with a few. I married one -- and he's still interested in all the things I am, and lots more.

Have a wonderful life.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Wow, that's just unnecessary. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be single for a while and focusing on yourself but to say marriage and relationships are for losers is just disrespectful, closed minded, immature and offensive. But I guess it works for you since I can't imagine anyone wanting to be in a relationship with someone who has such a lack of respect for other people anyway.

Killer is a jock, a tool, and an idiot. Don't mind him. He knows that the only thing he have to keep a woman for a while is in his pants...not that's a loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships