Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times

Advertisements

Whats really funny is when you hear this from people who are unattractive or obese. They are like "Oh, Im single by choice". Then I am like "No, you're single because you have no choice".

Old 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM

54 posts, read 69,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I honestly can't say. I really believe that most women (particularly my girlfriends) would rather have a good man in their lives than to be single and looking so I question the "by choice" part.
I agree. I don't think anyone would ever truly choose to be single. (The "Not dating" single. Not the "Unmarried" single) Unless its a drastic circumstance such as having recently left a long term relationship. Or they are in an emotionally fragile phase of their life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It means women generally have less of a problem with getting dates/relationships than men and they could endlessly do it, if they're so inclined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom teaser View Post
...yet it also means there's someone approach me but I don't want to be with him.
Yes. When a woman says "I'm single by choice" it translates to one of two things:1) "There aren't any men in my life now whom I'm interested in and are available. There are however some men that want me and I can have them If I wanted, but Id rather decline and hold out for someone I truly want."
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Maybe some say they are single by choice because they don't really want to say nobody is approaching them (women)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom teaser View Post
It means someone I like didn't like me back
This is number 2) "There are men I'm interested in but they aren't interested in me, are not available or not approaching me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
It mean... I'm single by choice....

To me, it means that I have the opportunity to be taken like anyone else and the opportunity to be looking for a boyfriend...However, I allow dating to happen when the time is more convenient and appropriate for me. It means.. I am only looking for friendship, but even then, friendship do come first.
This is still number 1 only it's coming from a woman who is in denial. Some women like to pretend they are so busy and choosing not to date. But the truth is.. If a good-looking, successful guy with sexy attitude came along and expressed interest... Ding! the time is now more convenient and appropriate. Friendship..? yeah right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I hear MOSTLY women say this.
Because If a guy said it, no one would believe him. Unless its for the "emotional" reasons I mentioned no heterosexual man, If given the choice, would choose not to have a woman in his life. Whether its for dating or at the very least sex. Women can get away with it because they can claim to be picky about who they date and have sex with. A man can't get away with that lie because every man, between work, school, and his social circle, has many females in his life he's like to date and/or have sex with. So If a guy says "I'm choosing to be alone" either he's telling the truth and he really does prefer masturbation over sex. Or he is covering up the fact that he's either being rejected by women or afraid to pursue them.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
It makes perfect sense.

They haven't found anybody that tickles their fancy, yet.
Either no one tickles their fancy, or no one fancies their tickles.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM

408 posts, read 809,120 times
I haven't read all posts but another possibility could be that they just got out of a breakup (it could have been years, or just a horrible breakup in general) I know if I broke up with my boyfriend, I honestly would not want to date anyone, "I'm single by choice" might work. They just may not want to deal with people hitting on them after going through a hard breakup (maybe they don't even want to talk about it in the first place) so they would go with something more general such a: "I'm single by choice" I've never personally used this phrase but this could be another possibility?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM

196 posts, read 564,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
When women say that it means that no one wants to be with them. It also means that they are really jealous that their friends all have someone but they seem to have great difficulty in finding someone for themselves.
Bingo! Would've reped you, but have to spread the word.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:12 PM

259 posts, read 840,261 times
Mind trickery...Unless you have some serious commitment issues, it's just one of those random affirmations that people say to themselves to psyche themselves out...It's like when you tried really hard to land that oh-so-perfect job but didn't get it, so then you go back and think/say, well..I didn't want it that bad anyway and start making all these excuses as to why it would've been such a horrible move for you. After enough times of thinking it, the next thing you know you've manipulated the whole situation in your mind to make it feel like you were really the one who turned down the opportunity and that it was their loss.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
Here's something similar: I've been dating a guy for 5 years so the question I always get is: "When will you two tie the knot?" Or "When will you start having babies?" I find it easier to say: I don't believe in marriage, or I hate children. It makes them stop asking questions. (both of my answers are for the most part true lol)
See, I've found that the best way to shut people up is to throw them off. You can have a field day if you let your inner snark out.

Q. When will you two tie the knot?

A. [Look at shoelaces.] They are.

or A., for males: [Touch tie.] It is.

or A. Knot? Or noose?

Q. When will you start having babies?

A. I won't. I'm a vegetarian.

Similar:

Q. Don't you like children?

A. No. They're too gamey.

or A. Yes, but not as an appetizer.

My favorite:

Q. How come you never had children?

A. I was married to one.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 PM

408 posts, read 809,120 times
LOL Avienne--good comebacks! It's so frustrating when they constantly say "you'll change your mind" or something similar...just because my sister has 2 kids does NOT mean I want any...it's called responsibility!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
LOL Avienne--good comebacks! It's so frustrating when they constantly say "you'll change your mind" or something similar...just because my sister has 2 kids does NOT mean I want any...it's called responsibility!

If you're a guy, you don't really need a reason, you can just say "hey look, I'm socially retarded. I couldn't charm my way out of a wet paper bag" and that's that..

Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Single by choice means that you're not actively trying to get into a relationship. It's not code for "nobody will date me." I was single by choice when I was a recent college graduate, and living in a new city. I had broken up with my previous boyfriend, was starting my post-grad life, new job, new environment, and wanted to focus on myself and be unfettered by building a relationship with a new person. At this point in time, I wasn't even interested in dating. Just hanging out with my coworkers and housemates, and enjoying my time by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships