Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:32 AM

250 posts, read 933,084 times

Advertisements

Does it exist? And if so, why? I am curious to know what you think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 09:41 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,672 times
I think that it does except it's moved up. Now it seems like most people who get a divorce get it in between years 3-5.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I think it's real!

At 7 years you know what you've got. The big discovery is over. You most likely have children and adult activities have gone by the wayside. If you both work full time and take care of the kids, you don't have much leftover energy to nurture your own relationship. You've been together long enough to take each other for granted. You are probably still young enough to have some single friends and it looks like they have a lot more fun than you do!

Old 06-24-2007, 02:38 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think it's real!

At 7 years you know what you've got. The big discovery is over. You most likely have children and adult activities have gone by the wayside. If you both work full time and take care of the kids, you don't have much leftover energy to nurture your own relationship. You've been together long enough to take each other for granted. You are probably still young enough to have some single friends and it looks like they have a lot more fun than you do!
I have heard of the 7 year itch, but I don't know anyone who has actually admitted to having it. I would think at 7 years the realization of "it is cheaper to keeper" has set in big time. I would think when u know that u would work harder on the marriage. Now I have heard at 10 years if it is not working u r will to pay any price for your freedom U sound like u know a lot about this 7 year thing...I hope u got over it

Old 06-24-2007, 02:49 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Think it's more like the seven month itch these days. The infatuation & attraction wears off and they don't give time to see if they really care. They realize it's not like playing house. Many shouldn't have even married in the first place but everbody just "has to do it." Marriage meant more in bygone eras, IMO. Now it's more like buying a car or something.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
I've read somewhere that the make or break point in a marriage is now 2½ years.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:19 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
I was raised a Seventh Day Adventist and attended their schools...they are against divorce.

The friends I went to school with, when they do divorce, I am seeing it more after like 20 years...I think they stick it out because they were raised to NOT believe in divorce but they just can't take it.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:44 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I think that it does except it's moved up. Now it seems like most people who get a divorce get it in between years 3-5.
I agree it has moved up. Started with athletes foot and now has progressed to a nasty rash........up!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:53 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,926 times
I am sure some will think this is uber idealistic or silly, but I truly believe that if there's actually an itch after a certain period of time to leave the relationship or explore, then either that person isn't your best match and you've settled or you just aren't the monogamous type and need to figure out what kind of situation is best for you.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I have heard of the 7 year itch, but I don't know anyone who has actually admitted to having it. I would think at 7 years the realization of "it is cheaper to keeper" has set in big time. I would think when u know that u would work harder on the marriage. Now I have heard at 10 years if it is not working u r will to pay any price for your freedom U sound like u know a lot about this 7 year thing...I hope u got over it
Just because you've had the itch doesn't mean you have to scratch it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships