Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,206,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
my question is, have you ever caught yourself one upping by accident?

i did that today by accident.

just because I knew a story of my own that related and wanted to continue the conversation.
Yes! It is all too easy to let slip things when in general conversations. You are not intending it to be one up, but relating something about yourself can appear that way. If you have had a varied background it can even appear like you are making stuff up.

I have known the one uppers and the pathological liars and I do not wish to be put into that camp. I find it is better to just let the other person talk and me keep to inconsequential things.

Oh my goodness, I may have just one-upped Orincarnia! Gods.. it is insidious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,346,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I tell them to ****, then I smile.

ETA: weird asterisks, but I think I'll leave it.
I tell them to *****.

Ha! One more * than you.

Just kidding.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,650,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I tell them to *****.

Ha! One more * than you.

Just kidding.

LMAO

Old 08-13-2010, 12:26 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,330,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
LMAO
HA! You think you're LYAO! I......ROFLMAO, get up and go over to the chair and SICLMAO!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:46 PM

408 posts, read 809,936 times
Quote:
my question is, have you ever caught yourself one upping by accident?

i did that today by accident.

just because I knew a story of my own that related and wanted to continue the conversation.
I've caught myself telling similar stories many times. I do it like you said, so they feel like I can relate.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
I agree with with the poster who said something about her being insecure. Honestly, I'm always speechless when she always is better/has better. I try to be nice to her because the GF of my SO's friend, but every time it's all about her and what she has! She did lose about 60 lbs (I hadn't seen her for about 2 years since we lived in a different city) which is great for her but at the same time she doesn't need to rub it in my face that she is skinnier than I am now.
More skinny does not equate to more hot.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:22 PM

53 posts, read 55,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Oh yeah, I did a thread on this & it had way more responses.
I believe that was after mine that went on forever..

Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,985,463 times
Because they have to pretend to be better than everybody else so they don`t have to look at themselves and see the truth about how messed up they really are. They are annoying and I try to avoid them as much as I can.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,083,252 times
My dear brother is like this.
Been on a great vacation? He's been on a better one.
Know all about wine? Wrong? He knows more about it.
Met a celebrity? He's met a bigger celebrity.
Drive a nice car? He drives a nicer car.
Know a lot about music? He knows more than you do.
You get the picture . . .

How do I deal with it? I keep my mouth shut and let him feel important. I love him to pieces, and it's not worth jeopardizing our relationship just to put him in his place. People who are like that are often seen as fools by the very people they think they are impressing. Just let them be.

My brother has a lot of other, wonderful qualities. He really is a great guy. Just happens to be a braggart, too.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:32 PM

408 posts, read 809,936 times
Wow PJ8, sounds just like the girl I'm talking about. I always try to change the subject and avoid her if at all possible, sometimes it's hard to keep up with making excuses for every time she and her boyfriend come over to our place...(I always end up going out with my friends, JUST so I don't have to be around her) sucks she can make me leave my own house, ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships