Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times

Advertisements

Well, Match once again "auto-initiated" my profile, and I had to go in and disable the sucker. Just out of curiosity, I checked to see who viewed my profile, and ... gee, it's a bunch of MUCH OLDER GUYS.

Look, I am not young; I am in my early 40s. I don't want to go out with someone who's 59, 60, 65+ for the same reason that I would never go out with a guy who's 20. Or even 30. The age difference is just too great. More than 20 years ... that's a generation gap.

I used to think that by the time guys reached their 40s, they'd be more realistic. But it never ends. I didn't want to date a 40-year-old guy when I was 20, and I don't want to date a 60-year-old when I'm 40. Insult to injury, I inherited the "youth" gene from my mom, so I easily pass for 30. Some of these guys would look like my grandfather. Four years younger, four years older. That's what I would prefer, and that's yet another reason I'm not on Match anymore.

What is there to understand about this?

Why do men do this? Why can't they be happy with someone their own age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,958 times
Same here!!! And I clearly specified my age-range. It was very annoying to have all these older men trying to get women 20-30 years younger than them. Sorry, but... no. And, yes, I said 30 years! What in the world would I have in common with someone older than my parents??

The guys my age that I did go out with... one was married, the other still not over his ex-girlfriend and he spent the entire date ranting about her.

I love Match.com.

I also keep having to hide my profile. Plus, since my membership is nearly up, suddenly I'm getting suspicious wink alerts (wait, don't go! Hot guys are wanting you!). Turned that sucker off really quick!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
Same here!!! And I clearly specified my age-range. It was very annoying to have all these older men trying to get women 20-30 years younger than them. Sorry, but... no. And, yes, I said 30 years! What in the world would I have in common with someone older than my parents??

The guys my age that I did go out with... one was married, the other still not over his ex-girlfriend and he spent the entire date ranting about her.

I love Match.com.

I also keep having to hide my profile. Plus, since my membership is nearly up, suddenly I'm getting suspicious wink alerts (wait, don't go! Hot guys are wanting you!). Turned that sucker off really quick!
Say ... I think I went out with that guy, too! And his six cloned brothers!

Look, I get a lot of "winkies" and messages from guys in their mid-20s, and that creeps me out, too. Just as much, if not more. I feel sisterly or maternal toward this age group, but I do not have the hots for someone 20 years my junior. Yikes! My last S.O. was 11 years younger, and that was problematic enough.

And ITA, it's really weird when the guy's closer to your parents' age than yours.

That 60+ year old men are still living in this world of delusion is stunning. If I'm 60 years old and still not married (heaven forbid), I will want to date a man who's 60 years old.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Yeah, I know an older guy who got a face lift to look more attractive to younger girls. And he hung out at clubs where really young people went. Ewww.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
That 60+ year old men are still living in this world of delusion is stunning. If I'm 60 years old and still not married (heaven forbid), I will want to date a man who's 60 years old.
Well, some women (me included) do like older men, so you can't blame them for trying! However, since you have specified age limits, they really shouldn't be bothering you.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 AM

I have no problem dating younger men...within reason. I've only dated one guy who was older than me... but I do have my limits! Yeah, 20 years is a lot... in either direction. With the younger guys, it depends on his maturity level. But with a guy 30 years older... um... I don't know how to be politically correct about this, but... no. Just... no.

Can you imagine me introducing him to my parents, and my parents calling him "Mr. So and so"?!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, 20 years is a lot... in either direction. With the younger guys, it depends on his maturity level.
So is this supposed to mean that you'd be comfortable with a "mature" guy 20 years younger than you then?

Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
So is this supposed to mean that you'd be comfortable with a "mature" guy 20 years younger than you then?
No, you'll have to forgive me - I'm on NyQuil and some prescription cold meds and not at my most coherent. That's what I was trying to say when I said "I have my limits".

No. 20 years is too big an age gap, younger OR older. I won't date a guy 20 years younger. But the younger guys I have dated in the past - which were LESS THAN 20 years younger - it was because of their maturity level. Around 10 years younger, average, has been fine... in my experiences, so far. Even late 20s. I just turned 40. Dating a 20 year old would not be something I'm into.

If I'm still not making sense, then I'll just crawl under the covers and try to sleep. I suck while posting when sick and stressed-out.

Last edited by Neemy; 08-14-2010 at 02:24 AM..

Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
If I'm still not making sense, then I'll just crawl under the covers and try to sleep. I should not post while sick and stressed-out.
Nah, it's OK! We should post drunk - that'd be fun!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
I have no problem dating younger men...within reason. I've only dated one guy who was older than me... but I do have my limits! Yeah, 20 years is a lot... in either direction. With the younger guys, it depends on his maturity level. But with a guy 30 years older... um... I don't know how to be politically correct about this, but... no. Just... no.

Can you imagine me introducing him to my parents, and my parents calling him "Mr. So and so"?!
A guy 30 years older than me would be retired. I'm just a big believer in being physically able to do the same things that your spouse is able to do. And I'm not just talking about sex (even though that is an issue, too), I'm talking about overall physical stamina. I can't apologize for not wanting to take care of someone who may or may not be experiencing age-related illness in a few years. I know that it will happen to me, but I want my S.O./spouse to be on the same page, going through the same things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships