Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But when you're in a relationship with someone, you should spend time with them and take them into consideration. "Oh, not feeling well? Well, then I'll just go to Disney/karaoke/the concert without you this weekend. If that's okay with you--or would you rather I stayed home?"
No one is saying otherwise. Why can't you understand that? Show me where ANYONE said that doing something without your SO means doing so when they aren't feeling well? Why are you making these ridiculous leaps and assumptions that simply aren't true?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No one is saying otherwise. Why can't you understand that? Show me where ANYONE said that doing something without your SO means doing so when they aren't feeling well? Why are you making these ridiculous leaps and assumptions that simply aren't true?
You're pursuing your own interests instead of remaining home and being miserable because your mate is feeling miserable. Everyone has been saying that you should go and pursue your own interests without your mate around. If he or she is home sick, and you're gallivanting about town, you're doing so.

I wouldn't recommend it, but other people seem to think it's perfectly fine.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Clingy is when you HAVE to be around them all the time instead of just WANTING to be around them all the time but being ok doing your own thing (like going to work, hanging with friends, etc).

Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Actually, if you take it to an extreme and demand to be with your SO every free moment of her time and yours, that is not normal. Any psychiatrist will tell you that. .
Errmmm...I work 16 days a month but get maybe 2 weekends off a month. And my wife works M-F. So, yeah...every bit of of FREE TIME we have, we do like to spend together.

I didn't get dogs so I could leave 'em in the backyard, and I didn't get me a wife so I could go do my own thing.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Errmmm...I work 16 days a month but get maybe 2 weekends off a month. And my wife works M-F. So, yeah...every bit of of FREE TIME we have, we do like to spend together.

I didn't get dogs so I could leave 'em in the backyard, and I didn't get me a wife so I could go do my own thing.
You have a lot of free time that's not 'our' free time. I think we all need our own time to do whatever we do (hobbies, volunteer work, etc).

Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You have a lot of free time that's not 'our' free time. I think we all need our own time to do whatever we do (hobbies, volunteer work, etc).
Yeah, maybe. I have always thought that our lack of time together has only served to enhance our relationship.

But I know couples who live together and work together. Drive to work together, eat all their meals together...and they seem to like it. My last relationship and this one were/are with people I really wouldn't mind being around all the time. It's not that I have to have them there. It's that I enjoy and don't mind them being there.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You're pursuing your own interests instead of remaining home and being miserable because your mate is feeling miserable. Everyone has been saying that you should go and pursue your own interests without your mate around. If he or she is home sick, and you're gallivanting about town, you're doing so.

I wouldn't recommend it, but other people seem to think it's perfectly fine.
I don't know where anybody said anything about gallivanting while their mate is sick. What most of us are saying is that he can go rollerblading with a friend while she goes to get her nails done, or she can go take a yoga class while he putters around in his workshop. It's okay to do things separately from time to time.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, maybe. I have always thought that our lack of time together has only served to enhance our relationship.

But I know couples who live together and work together. Drive to work together, eat all their meals together...and they seem to like it. My last relationship and this one were/are with people I really wouldn't mind being around all the time. It's not that I have to have them there. It's that I enjoy and don't mind them being there.
Sure, I agree. We're all different. For me, it's not so much about enjoying (or not) company with our SO's, but sharing every single interest 100% of the time. I'm sure some do, tho.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'm one of those sorry-a$$ individuals who needs fairly large chunks of time for himself. As a result, most women usually see that as being aloof, a loner or "hard to read". It can be difficult finding a balanced match using the clingy/aloof model, so when one comes along I cherish it.

I tried to rep ya but... you know how that goes when you've rep'd too much LOL

This was well stated and I really related well to your need for larger chunks of "alone" time. My SO understands this about me. Every now and then when I see he's feeling like he's getting shafted, I'll put selfish me on the side and give him his attention but I do enjoy time alone... As stated before, balance, balance.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I'm not getting the fixation on the sick spouse angle. Usually when people are sick, they're going to be sleeping or watching tv in bed or otherwise resting. If the other spouse wants to go to their yoga class for an hour, what is the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships