Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:10 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Why would you invite someone of the opposite sex on a trip knowing before hand nothing is going to happen?
Old fashion. At one time, this was not uncommon. Only recently has the hook up culture made "something happening" an almost sure thing, at least for the 20% of men in at least some demand by women.

OP needs to understand that:

1) Women want certain things from men.

2) Women want certain men.

3) Frequently, when they cannot get both in one package, they will work both sides of the street.

He's not the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
Oh don't get me wrong. It's great to have females as friends. But when NONE of them, for years, sees you as more than a friend or brother, you know there is some problem with yourself. Yeah, I sure have lots of sisters but I keep being alone in other areas of life.
Join the club. You can either resign yourself to this or set your sights low and likely end up unhappy with the decision.

Only women have the tools at their disposal to set their sights high and they usually end up unhappy too.

Modern relationships in a nutshell.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 AM

404 posts, read 701,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
If its any consolation I just wanted to say that you seem to have a great sense of humour. I found the bolded part very funny.
Hehe thanks! It does help. You know, Mordor does not get much respect these days

Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,647,600 times
I'm right there with Carra and CoolHand...I think that the woman definitely didn't need to sound so dismissive but I also think that because you overheard it, you heard the truth. She probably didn't know you were listening and spoke her very true feelings.
If you knew there was no chance, why was this such a shock? Perhaps she really values you as a friend (I mean ya'll took a trip together) but looks as you more like a brother so of course she's going to say it like that ..."Oh he knows there's no chance..."....

Try not to focus on the words but think bigger about your current friendship. if it's just friends, then this shouldn't have hurt your feelings...

Old 10-13-2010, 07:36 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Way to make a mountain out of a molehill! As it was already mentioned, nobody knows what the other person said. Heck, they might've been talking about something as mundane as somebody applying for a job, let's say.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It sound like you are projecting your own low-self esteem onto the conversation. You should have kept to your original plan and let fate take its course.
I agree. All this over one statement that you don't even know what exactly it was in regards to.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
At least she talks to you at all and considers you a friend. You should realize that it is equally annoying for her to have to balance friendship against your romantic intentions. She just doesn't like you that way, period. Why even ask why? I'm sure there are girls that you aren't attracted to, and you don't owe THEM an explanation. I do see why you are offended by rejection, but also realize that it was not pleasant nor comfortable for her this whole entire time if you had been trying to hint at your intentions... while she is trying to maintain a natural friendship.

As an aside -- If a girl isn't good enough to be a friend if she's not interested in being romantic with you... then you aren't good enough to be her boyfriend.
I don't think it's her lack of interest that bothers the OP. Like the OP said, what bothers him is the fact that she was so quick to dismiss him. You can say you're not interested without saying no chance at all.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 AM

404 posts, read 701,841 times
Yeah, I realize that I cannot be sure of what the original context was. I do realize that overall, I'm trying to get some validation. It would really help me to know that I can be attractive to someone, at least some girl out there. Even if it's a girl I don't really like, just knowing that she finds me somewhat attractive would make me feel better. That's why I'm overanalyzing all of this: because that has just never happened, since years ago. This is why hearing that hurts: it's not "she discarded me". It's "yet another girl easily discards me".

I know, you can tell yourself you are great and you don't need anybody. But this can only hold you for so long before the actual reality reaches you.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
Yeah, I realize that I cannot be sure of what the original context was. I do realize that overall, I'm trying to get some validation. It would really help me to know that I can be attractive to someone, at least some girl out there. Even if it's a girl I don't really like, just knowing that she finds me somewhat attractive would make me feel better. That's why I'm overanalyzing all of this: because that has just never happened, since years ago. This is why hearing that hurts: it's not "she discarded me". It's "yet another girl easily discards me".

I know, you can tell yourself you are great and you don't need anybody. But this can only hold you for so long before the actual reality reaches you.
It's perfectly understandable why you would want some kind of validation. But have you considered that you may be projecting this need and that it could potentially be turning people off? Women will often say they find confidence extremely attractive. Ask yourself what you would think of a woman who acted like you.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
You're obviously close with this woman, enough to travel with her. Why not ask her what it is about you that put you in the friend zone? She might have insight on a particular mannerism or quirk you have that is offputting. Something that you don't see because you don't look at yourself objectively. Keep in mind that you might not like what she says, but if you want things to change in your life it's a good place to start.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-13-2010 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships