Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Ridiculous. Would you dance with someone in a sackcloth? I've danced with guys and can't even remember their faces. I just wanted to get up and move. Dancing is my favorite stress reliever. Mixes well with margaritas.
Of course many women never get sick of playing Barbie dolls, but in real life, but alot of that is to attract attention. Outfits are getting skimpier and skimpier these days, next bouncers will be letting in girls wearing bikinis. Unless chicks secretly like to check each other out then I would say that's mostly designed for male attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Of course many women never get sick of playing Barbie dolls, but in real life, but alot of that is to attract attention. Outfits are getting skimpier and skimpier these days, next bouncers will be letting in girls wearing bikinis. Unless chicks secretly like to check each other out then I would say that's mostly designed for male attention.
Isn't it funny how men complain they don't understand women, yet, when we try to give them the answers they refuse to accept them?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know about you, but before I make a decision about anything I think, "I wonder what a bunch of guys I don't know will think about this--I hope they like it!"
Oh yes. I definitely am considering what some bunch of drunk dweebs might think of my outfit.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Isn't it funny how men complain they don't understand women, yet, when we try to give them the answers they refuse to accept them?
Sure it's not PURELY done to catch a mate, but it largely is, whether on the surface of deep down. It's about competition through attractiveness in nature. For most people fashion isn't really about expressing yourself. It's about expressing your conformity to societal standards. Why do women feel 'pretty' wearing pink frilly dresses? Look into the history of fashion, it's always changing. Girls are taught what was girly and what is not, so they feel good because they fit in and they project the image they want to.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Quote:
Sure it's not PURELY done to catch a mate, but it largely is, whether on the surface of deep down. It's about competition through attractiveness in nature. For most people fashion isn't really about expressing yourself. It's about expressing your conformity to societal standards. Why do women feel 'pretty' wearing pink frilly dresses? Look into the history of fashion, it's always changing. Girls are taught what was girly and what is not, so they feel good because they fit in and they project the image they want to.
So you must also believe that men don't really go out together to be with the guys, just to be with the guys?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
If your main point is to go out just to have fun then you should have no problems going out in a sackcloth.
most girls enjoy getting dressed up. Occasionally when I would go out partying, a few girls would get dressed at the same place, chat, eat something, have a few drinks etc.

At times I would wear pants, a tshirt & fashion runners (those were my dance party days ). The next time I'd be in heels etc, some of the girls would dress up, some wouldn't

it depended on my mood. It was never to impress other people, other than to feel good within myself.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,057 times
Most men don't really care about fashion or what a woman wears as long as she is clean and presentable (not too extreme or poorly groomed.) Dressing for the sole purpose of attracting men would be too easy. We really wouldn't need to worry about handbags, or cute shoes, or accessories. Men hardly notice those things; they wouldn't know a Coach bag if you smacked them in the face with it.

Fashion is fun. My daughter and I always dressed up to watch the Academy Award shows at home. Just for fun. There were no males in the household to impress. (gasp!)

Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
So you must also believe that men don't really go out together to be with the guys, just to be with the guys?
No I'm talking about this idea that girls what they wear purely for themselves. They enjoy wearing it because it confirms societal ideas of femininity, and they're told what they should like etc. A large part of the female psyche is projecting oneself as an object of desire, which is why women are neurotically obsessed with things like body image and fashion.

I'm not saying every gal who goes out to a club dresses up with that in MIND, but that's where the root dynamic behind that originated from.

Maybe I'm over-analysing, lol.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Most men don't really care about fashion or what a woman wears as long as she is clean and presentable (not too extreme or poorly groomed.) Dressing for the sole purpose of attracting men would be too easy. We really wouldn't need to worry about handbags, or cute shoes, or accessories. Men hardly notice those things; they wouldn't know a Coach bag if you smacked them in the face with it.

Fashion is fun. My daughter and I always dressed up to watch the Academy Award shows at home. Just for fun. There were no males in the household to impress. (gasp!)
Actually, you'd be surprised...why was it prostitutes who pioneered alot of cosmetic trends (don't get offended, I'm not suggesting anything about modern women, just stating a historical fact)? Because men are sub-consciously attracted to what is deemed feminine. That's why alot of men don't like women with short hair, for instance, or leg hair, even though those things aren't inherently un-female.

...but most men do care more about what a woman is NOT wearing than what she is!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
It's safety in numbers. You never know when some cougar might try to drag them off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships