Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Ha! I really enjoy going out alone. I go out and play pool and have a couple of drinks and usually have a pretty good time. I really like the low commitment/responsibility of bar interactions when going out alone... when going out with others, one friend always wanted to go here, another wanted to go there, someone was ready to go sooner than someone else, etc. When you go out alone, you get to go wherever you want whenever you want. It sounds selfish... maybe it is.

I have found that the level of socializing and interactive fun depends on the area. Not as much fun to go out looking for pool games in 'typical bar scene' areas... a nasty contrast to the more singles-oriented college town scene.
I use to enjoy going out alone for the same reasons. There is no commitment or drama when byyourself. However, I still like mingling and I have found ever since college it has been so clickly . Even with the single scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times
Quote:
Vanilla Gorilla, I think a lot of getting 'hassled' has to do with demeanor. I don't get hassled really. Maybe I'm unattractive (but this doesn't flesh out either), but I think it has more to do with perception of mood. According to others, I have a 'serious face' and often look really distant [it just has mostly to do with bone structure & angles, I think - people tend to think by default that I'm extremely serious or even 'mad']. Maybe you look very open or friendly.
Although it may not (or may?) come across on this forum, I am a painfully friendly person lol. I love meeting new people, I can’t help it. I can’t be sour, even if I wanted to.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,600 times
I go out by myself and with my friend (guy) often. The trick is when you go out by yourself you have to be content and comfortable being alone, be capable of scoping the scene. Take advantage of opportunitites to mix with the opposite sex when you are ordering drinks or you can compliment a lady on her dress/look as you are passing by if she's with her friends and see where it goes. Don't feel weird. Hanging by yourself makes you approachable but you have to enjoy the crowd and be confortable where you are and in your own skin, that's the trick. Go to environments like sports games and such to give you something to do while you are by yourself.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,571 times
Quote:
Ha! I really enjoy going out alone. I go out and play pool and have a couple of drinks and usually have a pretty good time. I really like the low commitment/responsibility of bar interactions when going out alone... when going out with others, one friend always wanted to go here, another wanted to go there, someone was ready to go sooner than someone else, etc. When you go out alone, you get to go wherever you want whenever you want. It sounds selfish... maybe it is.

I have found that the level of socializing and interactive fun depends on the area. Not as much fun to go out looking for pool games in 'typical bar scene' areas... a nasty contrast to the more singles-oriented college town scene.
My sentiments exactly. I use to always go out with a group and it was always something. A girl meet a guy and wants to leave with him, which I was absolutely against if I was the one who drove because I didn't want to feel guilty or responsible if something happened to her. A girl has a possessive boyfriend that calls/texts all night so she's in a rush to leave. Girls interested in the same guy so they spend the whole night trying to one up each other. It was always something so when I started going out by myself it was truly a breath of fresh air. However it did feel a little awkward and I had to get use to it especially since I was always with a group before but it didn't take long for me to open up. And I found that if you come across inviting, you will usually attract people to you but if you're closed off and coming across socially awkward, people are going to be more reluctant to approach you or pull you into conversation.

Over all I loved going out alone simply because I didn't have to worry or be accountable for anyone but myself. Also if you're single, it's a great way to meet men because they aren't scared off by your girlfriends and they feel more comfortable approaching you.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,843 times
i go out alone occasionally and never have trouble mingling and meeting new people. do you initiate or you waiting for them to come to you?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,166 times
I think the friends in the bar are not really friends.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 PM

199 posts, read 490,849 times
I hate drinking alone. If it comes to the point though where I havent drank in a very long time and feel like I need a drink to relax with no one to accompany me then I rather do it at my own place. Going to a bar alone doesnt sound nearly as bad as going to a club or lounge alone. I dont see how its even possible to feel comfortable being at a lounge or club alone.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM

896 posts, read 1,399,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
I go out by myself and with my friend (guy) often. The trick is when you go out by yourself you have to be content and comfortable being alone, be capable of scoping the scene. Take advantage of opportunitites to mix with the opposite sex when you are ordering drinks or you can compliment a lady on her dress/look as you are passing by if she's with her friends and see where it goes. Don't feel weird. Hanging by yourself makes you approachable but you have to enjoy the crowd and be confortable where you are and in your own skin, that's the trick. Go to environments like sports games and such to give you something to do while you are by yourself.

I have done this. This does work when there is a game or something going on. I have had luck during a NCAA game. However, I prefer not to do this all time. I love to dance and not drink. Also, I am a girl btw. I am content going out by myself until I see everyone talking to each other when I am scoping the scene. Then I feel intimidated. Also, I prefer to go with to lounges or something with dancing so it is little harder when just going to a bar to drink. I am not into sitting around and i do not even drink.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times
I think your still better going with friends, just need to find more sociable ones that are not afraid to talk to other groups, or bring in other people into your group.

If you do meet someone you like, you can always trade numbers and meet for a date rather then the drama of splitting up.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Perceptions

Guy alone at the bar after work = having a relaxed drink to wind down the week.

Girl alone at the bar after work = clearly wants to be picked up.

Girl’s CAN’T go to bars on their own without being hassled. It’s a downright pain in the proverbial. I'd love to be able to go to a bar after work and have a nice glass of wine by myself.
Guys go more for Looks and outward appearance; so if a woman sitting at a bar alone is all dolled-up, on the thin-but-curvy side, and a little cleavage showing, what are the guys supposed to do - fight off natural instinct and and ignore her????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships