Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times

Advertisements

I have not read through all the responses, but I think part of the reason that people act this way is because others allow them to. I would not allow them in my home if they were to act that way as a guest. You allow it, you breed it. I'm sure they get away with it all the time which is why they don't think twice about acting so poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 05:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I know it's a rude question--but shouldn't these people who leave early asked if they truly want to be there, or are just trying to avoid saying no to the person doing the inviting? Because some people view a declined invitation as rude also?

Maybe they think in their heads, "Oh, I hope Madge doesn't invite me to dinner again. I never know what to say." But they don't decline any invitations they receive.

I know I'm someone who's uncomfortable around others, and I'll decline, and I've probably hurt others' feelings. But I'd rather do that than feel that I HAVE to go and not know what to say to them.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Pagans are unnatrual?
Ancient man hadnt invented forks yet. They didnt use toliet paper either. Did this teacher wipe his behind?
That's why some cultures don't use the left hand for "anything". You don't shake that hand, you don't eat with that hand, it's only got one purpose.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Default Mr. Smell-test

We had an Uncle-in-law, who would hold everything up to his nose to smell it, before he would serve himself! It was soooo disgusting! He'd pick up an entire casserole dish and smell it, or plate of rolls, what have you. My aunt tried to convince how rude it was, but he simply didn't care if he offended people or not. They finally got divorced and the rest of us stopped worrying whether we were eating nose hairs with the cranberry sauce!

A simple way to train children: If you don't like, say no thank you. Nothing else. Not "I hate XXX or I'm allergic or any other excuse! No one cares!

If you want to try it, say just a taste, please.

And practice table manners daily, not a 10 minute pep talk in the car to Grandma's on Christmas day! It takes years to learn the nuances of proper social mores.

Hence as the previous poster mentioned, you have young adults who no loinger know how to interact with the opposite gender or conduct themselves in a job interview. Or take a client out to dinner. Manners count!

Old 12-25-2010, 08:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Besides, it's such a DRUDGE to hear about every individual's boring life, what school he goes to and what they are achieving and not achieving. After some point, family get togethers are a mere pitting kids against kids contest. I for one never cared about my extended family, ever since I was 12 or 13.
But that's also boorish behavior and why people shouldn't invite boors to their events.

My family's parties are great fun. Either side of the family can have a reunion and we have a blast. No one is really a slob - even the teenagers are nice to be around, polite and presentable. Even the ones who might have their own issues in their own homes are fine at the get-togethers.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:48 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I have not read through all the responses, but I think part of the reason that people act this way is because others allow them to. I would not allow them in my home if they were to act that way as a guest. You allow it, you breed it. I'm sure they get away with it all the time which is why they don't think twice about acting so poorly.
Exactly. People do what you allow. That wouldn't fly in my house and if they got mad, they got the problem.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:29 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But that's also boorish behavior and why people shouldn't invite boors to their events.

My family's parties are great fun. Either side of the family can have a reunion and we have a blast. No one is really a slob - even the teenagers are nice to be around, polite and presentable. Even the ones who might have their own issues in their own homes are fine at the get-togethers.
Do these actors get well paid for this sitcom?

Old 12-25-2010, 12:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
The update.

The woman in question called at 4. Said she could come. To that, I said, "Great! See you at six."

She came with her two teenaged sons who, in the sake of fairness, actually tried to make conversation. However, she disappeared downstairs ten minutes into the evening, and then left without a word to anyone, leaving her excuses to my mother's boyfriend that she had to work this morning at eight p.m. So my mother's boyfriend had to drive his two grandsons home at 9:30 at night on Christmas Eve, a thirty mile round trip.

Here's the deal on all that. You can always decline an invitation gracefully. But to show up, then leave without a word to anyone, is pretty rude. And not inviting her isn't an option.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The update.

The woman in question called at 4. Said she could come. To that, I said, "Great! See you at six."

She came with her two teenaged sons who, in the sake of fairness, actually tried to make conversation. However, she disappeared downstairs ten minutes into the evening, and then left without a word to anyone, leaving her excuses to my mother's boyfriend that she had to work this morning at eight p.m. So my mother's boyfriend had to drive his two grandsons home at 9:30 at night on Christmas Eve, a thirty mile round trip.

Here's the deal on all that. You can always decline an invitation gracefully. But to show up, then leave without a word to anyone, is pretty rude. And not inviting her isn't an option.
Well she sounds like a real piece of work. But maybe her kids are starting to grow up in spite of her. What is your mom's SO like?

I guess the rudest guest I ever had was an old college roommate who came over and stayed and stayed and stayed. It was getting to be like 4:00 in the morning before she finally went home and the conversation had run out hours ago and she got up at some point and was exercising on my floor while I prayed she would leave. I probably would have asked her to go, but my past training would just not let me and I couldn't find the words to even make a hint. Interestingly, when I went earlier to go visit her and we were watching a show on TV, and it was getting close to 10 pm and I was going to leave as soon as the show was over, but she beat me to the punch and suggested that I leave. I let her go b/c I just couldn't deal with someone that arrogant in my life, and I've never regretted her loss.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:02 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The update.

She came to leave her kids, maybe.

I bet she works in Exxon's tigermart pump store. Those buggers never close coz fellas like me need to drive

I see you're putting up with all this for the sake of your mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships