Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,819,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Mostly, but someone might just be curious. Peer pressure can exacerbate this curiosity though. I.e. 'come on, you've got to try this, it's great!'
This would mean there was motivation within the individual to try the drug or drink excessive in the first place (curiousity and desire) and later on came the lighter (peer pressure).

I've been in certain parties where heavy drinking was involved. I have no problems with drinking once (by the time it's over I'm hammered off course but sane, not wild) in a long while when invited or on social gathering but smoking or drugs is a NO NO to me. Some people were amazed when telling them I never smoked... can't even stand the smell of smoke lol....

I guess if you were never curious about something or it never turned you on then it's like trying to ride a stubborn mule (a loss for the person or peers trying to convince you). There has to be a level of curiousity within your personality (an ingredient) first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 AM

89 posts, read 141,164 times
Some people just get bored with life easier than others, so they tend to want to try different things. I don't feel there's anything wrong with this as it's completely understandable. While we might feel it's near impossible to be so bored that turning to drugs would be ridiculous, others do not. I don't think it's fair to judge individuals who partake in drug use. As long as their usage doesn't affect others, there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:14 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,328,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Or for spiritual purposes...or creative stimulation...or stress reduction...or self-medication...or simply because it feels good.
That is true. Drugs just make me feel overall crappy so I've forgotten about the spiritual uses. Even relaxing drugs make me crazy!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 AM

346 posts, read 970,606 times
A lot of people take drugs/drink because deep down they hate themselves. They use the substances to try and run away from their inner demons.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,262,613 times
Is peer pressure always the cause towards drug usage and excessive drinkings?

No.

Take children of alcoholics - they have a greater chance of becoming alcoholics themselves and it has nothing to do with peer pressure and there are many more examples.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,662,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I actually agree, I do still recreation-ally partake in marijuana use. Mainly through tea or hooka but it actually helps me relax. Several individuals in my line of work (Trade Floor systems admin) use various drugs to relax. All are great people with families and 100k+ salaries. Some of it just feels good. Plain and simple.
That's why I've been an advocate for years. I see some changes occurring, but they probably won't get to a national level in my lifetime.

At least I'm sweeping the path for the ones that follow...

Old 12-27-2010, 10:01 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,094,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Is peer pressure always the cause towards drug usage and excessive drinkings?

No.

Take children of alcoholics - they have a greater chance of becoming alcoholics themselves and it has nothing to do with peer pressure and there are many more examples.
No..

That's not peer pressure. Your parents aren't your peers or equals. You aren't looking to become your dad/mom. You aren't looking to fit in with your parent's. They're square, they don't understand us at all. Actually most are looking to avoid anything associating them with their parents. There are many examples of that...

Don't want to grow up to be my dad..
Don't want to end up like my father...
My parents are lame..
I can't wait to grow up so I can get away from them..
God, I'll never be like my father!

Peer pressure is you in a locker room and somebody lights up a joint, and 5 guys ask you if you're gonna be cool or not?
Peer pressure is that totally awesome girl your crushing on pulls you behind a wall and says "you're not lame, are you? Take a hit!

Peer pressure often involves you getting something, and respect for doing something you know is wrong. Most parents aren't asking you to take a toke to prove yourself to them.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,297,363 times
Always, no. Usually, yes.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,412,154 times
It really depends upon which drugs a person is using. I doubt if two more creative geniuses existed more than Lennon and McCartney, and both of them smoked enormous amounts of weed. So a teenager smoking bud is a lot less harmful than getting into pills, E. or hallucinogenics like shrooms.

Same thing with drinking. I see nothing wrong with slamming back some beers after school or work. It's relaxing. (I'm not talking 14 year olds here, more like 18). But if they're draining bottles of Bacardi 151 every day, then I'd be worried.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,845,745 times
Boredom. More often than not I would drink or smoke weed alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships