Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times

Advertisements

I prefer people who like different music because it's an easy way of being exposed to something new. Having different tastes are a part of what makes interacting with a person interesting. I have no desire to be with the male version of me.

The only exception would be if a person likes music I literally find offensive. An example would be that 90s misogynistic rap music that was popular for a while. I could never date a person who would happily dance to lyrics like "Women ain't nothin but beeyotches and ho's"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Just a question, does it really matter to you. I find it extremely difficult to date a female who does not share somewhat similar taste in music as I. It sounds trivial but I can't help it. I play my records and music loudly almost every evening when I get off, in the car (windows up, I don't like to annoy others) and at home. I've totally written off females in the past because they enjoy country music, hardcore rap, gospel, etc......

BTW I do dj as just a hobby.
I would have a hard time listening to country/rap all the time.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Too much in common leaves very little opportunity to help each other grow or expose each other to new things.
Good point! Personally I think it's kind of nice if someone doesn't like exactly what I like, and I've found my taste has expanded when I'm exposed to new things.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
My musical taste is all over the place (With one exception. I agree with the statement that "Crap is short for crap") including progressive jazz, and international stuff. My wife's is really middle of the road.

So I have a bitchin' set of headphones. Problem solved.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Just a question, does it really matter to you.
i think i'd have problems with someone who loved music that I hated, or hated the music that I love.

but unless it is one of these extremes, no, it is not an important issue.

however i do think musical taste is a reflection of a person's personality, if not an influence. For example, a lot of alternative rock or metal lyrics these days are the introspective and hyperemotional wailings you'd expect from a teenager, vacillating from angry to despondent. Or some of the pop music basically encourages women to be obnoxious, materialistic wh*res.

I've dated grown adults who let the lyrical themes of their music bleed into their behavior, and that is definitely a problem.

Last edited by le roi; 12-28-2010 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM

130 posts, read 336,124 times
Music is a big part of my life so I would like to date someone who likes my favorite genres but I find my music tastes change depending on where I am in my life. Lately, I have been listening to a lot of singer/songwriter stuff. I just kind of feel like lying down under the covers during short winter days accompanied by the appropriate soundtrack.

I like to find music off the beaten path and have a lot of international artists in my music collection. I don't listen to the radio in the car but instead my ipod. I am drawn to things that sort of have a "classiness" or "elegance" about them. Thus, I like old jazz standards.

I have never dated a guy with the exact same music tastes as me. There were always artists that one of us liked and the other didn't care for. However, it is cool to date someone who has the same general tastes so that I can discover new music to listen to.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Due to my music tastes (underground/hardcore rap - think Immortal Technique) I do NOT expect any women to like what I like. I do not even let other people listen to what I listen unless I know they'd like that kind of stuff.... because thats some scandalous -ish. Therefore I am pretty open minded and can tolerate other people's musical tastes (rock, r&b, pop, house, jazz, classical, music in other languages, etc). The only music I absolutely HATE is country and gospel.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:12 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I just love my headphones

Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
one of the reasons (among many) that i divorced my husband was that, one day, when i was putting on some sixties soul, he confessed to me that "i never really have liked that stuff".
like the guy in high fidelity said, "these things matter". alot of people just like to have the radio on and buy a few cds a year. my music tastes, while being very eclectic, are pretty much rooted in soul, reggae, and sixties garage. and i am a VERY big music fan, and used to be a musician. bad music literally makes me want to throw up. i can't think of anything more WRONG than being with someone whose tastes were middle of the road.

there was a guy who wanted to date me and i had known him a long time. great guy, handsome, made 6 figures, but he didn't listen to ANYTHING other than pop music. he actually said "but i have really eclectic tastes- anything from sade to three doors down". i would rather have a sharp stick in the eye.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
My husband and I do not share the same tastes in music. I try to tolerate his, and he will not mine. I guess that is his version of compromise. He pretty much likes the "mullet crowd" pleasing music, which I do not listen to if I am by myself, but I can put up with that better than that rap stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships