Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,088,633 times

Advertisements

[quote=onegreatnurse;17184562]Depends on how frugal...sometimes there's a fine line between frugal and cheap...and as far as necessities, being a minimalist is fine but I wouldn't want to come over to your place and find that the only thing to sit on is a folding chair and you have no TV and at least basic cable!![/quote]

*chuckle* I have no basic cable. Just a plain, old antenna. And with it I get almost 50 digital and HD channels - for FREE.

Okay, I know that was a little off topic. So to make this post legal, I'll state that I'd rather date a frugal man than a spendthrift. I agree with those who say you can take frugality too far, to the point of being cheap. If you can afford to have more than bare-bones necessities, then there's no sense in living the life of a martyr. There should be a happy medium. I like that OP does not have a problem treating his date to a special night out now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,111,704 times
I agree with foxywench! There is a difference in frugal & cheap, and it sounds to me like you know that difference. Taking your lady to nice places and spending money on her is the right thing to do when you find a lady that appreciates it. Continue on with the way you do things and one of these days you will be wealthy. I look around at myself and wish I could be more frugal, but it is not easy to do when you have a good income that you know is not going to end anytime soon. It is hard to save for that 'rainy day'. Finding a lifetime mate that thinks the same as you might be tricky. Buying a better brand of toilet paper is not foolish, there is a time to be frugal and a time to spend wisely.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Women, would you date a guy with a very frugal lifestyle?
Date? I married that guy! We've been happily married for eighteen years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizdezigner View Post
Well, it would bother me if he wanted me to be frugal too because to be frank, I am not.
This is key. He shouldn't change you AND you shouldn't change him.

If you're not frugal, you can't expect to marry a frugal person and not work for your unlimited luxuries.

If you're a women who wants to be a SAHM and unlimited spending, the frugal man is not for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm frugal myself, so absolutely. The trick is to find someone who is frugal the same way you are, or there could be problems. Say you get married, and she is frugal like you in most ways, but an expensive car is her must-have... Or she is even more frugal than you and doesn't want you to spend money on your much needed vacation....
I disagree. My husband and I are opposites. We provide balance for each other.

If we had married people who are the same as us, his life would be boring and my life would be dangerous.

Seriously. He keeps me grounded. I keep his life exciting.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,814,646 times
I would absolutely not have a problem with it as long as he spends the income he saves on travel.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,440,576 times
Saving is a good lifestyle, I agree with you. .

Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Absolutely.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:22 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Depends on how frugal...sometimes there's a fine line between frugal and cheap...and as far as necessities, being a minimalist is fine but I wouldn't want to come over to your place and find that the only thing to sit on is a folding chair and you have no TV and at least basic cable!!
Whoa...! What's wrong with that...

Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I would absolutely not have a problem with it as long as he spends the income he saves on travel.
All right...somebody who understands me!!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,322,580 times
I doubt that too many people posting here are much...more frugal...than I am.

I don't have a TV. I'd NEVER pay for TV. I don't have a car. I have 2 pairs of pants (I have more than 2 pairs, but I will speak of these 2 specific pairs) that I paid $5 each for and I've had them for at least 6 years. I furnished my apartment almost entirely from freecycle and craigslist.

I can hardly stand to buy any type of material thing. In part because:

I've lived in 9 cities in 4 countries in the last 3 years and moving 'stuff' back and forth makes you quickly realize just how useless 'stuff' is. I'm down to two suitcases full of clothes and other necessities that travel with me.

I do ok with 'the ladies'. There is a certain type of woman that is probably not interested in me, but it works out because I doubt I'm really interested in them

Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,278,380 times
It wouldn't bother me as long as he didn't pass judgment when I spent my own money on little indulgences, like the salon. Likewise, I would hope that if we took a vacation together, we wouldn't be staying in roach motels because he didn't want to chip in for someplace presentable.

Believe me, I'm no material girl. My car is a '96, and until my SO insisted on giving me a nice TV for my birthday, I was watching one I bought in 1992. But I do think a little bit of pampering and decadence are good for the soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I agree with foxywench! There is a difference in frugal & cheap, and it sounds to me like you know that difference. Taking your lady to nice places and spending money on her is the right thing to do when you find a lady that appreciates it. Continue on with the way you do things and one of these days you will be wealthy. I look around at myself and wish I could be more frugal, but it is not easy to do when you have a good income that you know is not going to end anytime soon. It is hard to save for that 'rainy day'. Finding a lifetime mate that thinks the same as you might be tricky. Buying a better brand of toilet paper is not foolish, there is a time to be frugal and a time to spend wisely.
While my sister was raising my eldest niece and nephew, she used the cheap stuff. I'll never forget the look on my nephew's face when he came to visit shortly after his college graduation day, and said, "Mom! Charmin?"

My sister said, "YES. All this time I've been using the no-frills brand to save money while you and your sister were still home. I'm 45, I've been waiting for 26 years, and now I'M USING CHARMIN."

Last edited by Yzette; 12-30-2010 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: Please don't squeeze the Charmin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships