Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:25 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,527,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I would absolutely not have a problem with it as long as he spends the income he saves on travel.
Hehe, I LOVE to travel and so does my gf.. one of the things I save my money for is overseas travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Well, except the THREE computers. But, I guess everyone has some kind of habit. For me, its my flat screen TV.
I trade stocks, currencies, and futures (using the money I save) so I need the 3 computer screens to see everything clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 AM

37,778 posts, read 46,279,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
By a frugal lifestyle, I don't mean a guy who is rather cheap during dates and stuff..

But a guy who doesn't spend much money on any material possessions other than the absolute necessities (shelter, a basic car, basic furniture, etc.) This guy doesn't blow off his hard earned $$$ on material possessions that don't directly add any value to the relationship and that he has no real need for but everyone else has like big screen TVs, the newest cars, designer furniture, etc.

My yearly salary is easily 5-8 times the net value of all of my material possessions (including my Honda Civic that I've been driving for over a decade ever since receiving it for my 16th birthday and my 3 computers.)

When my current GF and I started dating, she was a bit surprised I could afford to take her to somewhere semi-fancy. I'm very frugal when it comes to my own life but not when I'm spending time with her.
I would...and I do.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,122,492 times
I don't think you'd have an issue finding a woman that would date a frugal man as long as you weren't obsessive about it.

If you take your 2-ply toilet paper and re-roll 1-ply onto a recycled cardboard roll to double your stock, well...no thanks!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 AM

5,076 posts, read 14,670,359 times
I think it's fine to save money for luxury items you wouldn't normally buy there is a definitely very thin line between being frugal and being cheap. If you are reusing your chinese food boxes because you don't want to buy plastic one for storage, that's just being cheap. If you're using iron-on's for your pants because they ripped and you don't want to buy new ones that's being cheap.
If you're shopping around for the best value when buying new clothes, shoes, cars, etc... that's being smart.

I'd rather be with someone who is smart with their money but who also knows how to have fun. A guy I was talking to the other day told me about a restaurant, it's local to where I live, I've not been there so I asked about the food, price, etc..
He said it was kind of expensive. So, I asked him what he felt was expensive, he said $22 for a dinner meal... To me? That's about averate and what I'd expect to pay if I'm going out for a nice dinner at a more upper class restaurant, in fact I found it to be cheaper than I'd expected. But this guy LOOKS like he lives very frugally.
So, for me as far as dating goes. I don't make a lot of money, if you want to ask me on a date that's fine but make it a date, I don't want to see coupons on the table and I don't want to do the two for $20 at Applebees LOL

And please note, I just became single again, have not gone on any dates - but before when I was single, I would say yes to a date but always drive myself, always bring enough money for MY own portion of the meal - not presuming anything at all and JUST in case the dude turns out to be a dud.

I have to be frugal because I don't make a lot of money but I'm not a cheap a$$ about it LOL

Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,210,053 times
So thats why I am not the Ladies man. I am cheap. I reuse the plastic fresh vegetables bags you get from buying the vegetable. I am constantly doing the math whether something is more economical and not just a means of status. I hate spending money for ostentatious and ultimately worthless frills. From reading the womens responses this is pure poison. If I have a coupon that saves me money why would I not use it?

Comfort is one of the items that is part of whether a product is worth buying. It is a gestalt. Take comfort or reliability out of the equation and than I will buy something as cheap as I can. I have zero concern to display wealth. I do like displaying quality and part of quality is afordability. To spend money foolishly (IMO) to attract women will never be my thing.

Too bad there are not very many frugal women out there.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,858,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Too bad there are not very many frugal women out there.
Matt, there are so many opps for you to meet likeminded women. They're everywhere--they're hanging around the produce aisles of Aldi. They're comparing the pants at Goodwill and garage sales are a mecca. They may need a man to help them not get ripped off trying to buy a used car. Are there still coupon fairs? Hang around the dumpsters--is there a pretty lady sniffing around there or one eyeing the goods on the curb in your neighborhood? Yes!

You've found her so you need to start planning the cheap honeymoon. May I suggest camping out in Oz for 3 months? It's a fabulous way to see the country and the wildlife, and there are many places there where you can camp for free and you can buy a used car while you're there. While you're camping you can cook your own meals and you won't spend any more money than you do at home.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,120,101 times
Frugal is a good thing. Cheap is not.

I believe in living within your means and saving money. But I do know how and when to spend it and what I do buy will be quality goods. Quality above all but I do shop for the best price. If I buy a gift, it will be quality. Perhaps I got a 'deal' on the price but it will be a quality item.

Cheap trash is, well..., cheap trash. Why spend hard earned or saved money on junk? Stuff you will have to replace over and over.

Frugal beats spendthrift any day.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:46 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,527,363 times
I'm not that frugal with small ticket items like toilet paper. For example, it doesn't matter that much if I buy the $0.75 loaf of bread or the $1.6 loaf. Or the difference between $3.11/gal gas vs. $3.21/gal gas.

I'm extremely frugal with the big ticket items like cars, houses, furniture, plane tickets, TVs, etc. (and generally, I opt out unless it's really needed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I think it's fine to save money for luxury items you wouldn't normally buy there is a definitely very thin line between being frugal and being cheap. If you are reusing your chinese food boxes because you don't want to buy plastic one for storage, that's just being cheap. If you're using iron-on's for your pants because they ripped and you don't want to buy new ones that's being cheap.
If you're shopping around for the best value when buying new clothes, shoes, cars, etc... that's being smart.

I'd rather be with someone who is smart with their money but who also knows how to have fun. A guy I was talking to the other day told me about a restaurant, it's local to where I live, I've not been there so I asked about the food, price, etc..
He said it was kind of expensive. So, I asked him what he felt was expensive, he said $22 for a dinner meal... To me? That's about averate and what I'd expect to pay if I'm going out for a nice dinner at a more upper class restaurant, in fact I found it to be cheaper than I'd expected. But this guy LOOKS like he lives very frugally.
So, for me as far as dating goes. I don't make a lot of money, if you want to ask me on a date that's fine but make it a date, I don't want to see coupons on the table and I don't want to do the two for $20 at Applebees LOL

And please note, I just became single again, have not gone on any dates - but before when I was single, I would say yes to a date but always drive myself, always bring enough money for MY own portion of the meal - not presuming anything at all and JUST in case the dude turns out to be a dud.

I have to be frugal because I don't make a lot of money but I'm not a cheap a$$ about it LOL

Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I think it's fine to save money for luxury items you wouldn't normally buy there is a definitely very thin line between being frugal and being cheap. If you are reusing your chinese food boxes because you don't want to buy plastic one for storage, that's just being cheap.

What if I re-use the cardboard ones because I'm concerned about the use of plastics, think it is almost always better to re-use, and save money as well?

Quote:
If you're using iron-on's for your pants because they ripped and you don't want to buy new ones that's being cheap.
What if I sew in patches that were made from another pair of pants that I deemed 'unsalvageable'?

Quote:
What if I just don't buy those things? I've bought one item of clothing this year (a $4.?? pair of pants from good will) other than new socks and undies. Haven't bought shoes nor a car.

Quote:
[i][color=#006400]I'd rather be with someone who is smart with their money but who also knows how to have fun.
You don't have to spend money to have fun.

But, throwing down $1000 bucks for a plane ticket to Greece so I could work on a volunteer project working to protect sea turtles was fun.

Quote:
What's wrong with a coupon? Isn't it dumb to pay more than you need for a meal? Isn't it hypocritical to say that it's smart to shop around for a good price on clothes but it's not ok to get a good deal on a dinner?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,210,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You've found her so you need to start planning the cheap honeymoon. May I suggest camping out in Oz for 3 months? It's a fabulous way to see the country and the wildlife, and there are many places there where you can camp for free and you can buy a used car while you're there. While you're camping you can cook your own meals and you won't spend any more money than you do at home.
Now that sounds like a Adventure rather than simple travel. That would be a blast. It is like taking a cruise on a passenger sailboat instead of a floating Resort Hotel that most modern cruise ships are. Travel, IMO, should be about seeing and experiencing things you can not do at home. Just like eating out should be the same. Why pay for a meal when you cook it better than the restaurant does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships