Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:02 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times

Advertisements

well jam, when you gonna ask this chick out? I wanna hear the happy ending of the story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Oh you're an engineer! That 'splains everything. I wish my dad were still alive so I could show him that video b/c of course he was one too--taught it in fact. But guys, he was happily married! It can happen for you. And OP, the lady has already figured out that you're inexperienced and I'm guessing she likes you just the way you are.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Been afflicted with the exact same feelings lately, maybe the past year or so above and beyond the frustrations of the last 20 years or so. My hobbies etc are no longer fulfilling like they once were. Drinking way too much again too.
You guys are breaking my heart. Life is scary. I'm getting a divorce after 23 years of marriage--half my life. It's been 2 years since he left and I'm ready to start dating again--have done some already. I haven't met anyone I've remotely come close to falling in love with but I desire this feeling. But once I do, I know that it will be terrifying. I could lose the love of my life 6 months after I fall in love with him. He could get Alzheimer's in a few years and forget he ever knew me. Well, the possibilities are endless but I know that one of them will happen unless I go first, but I still want that. Why? Don't ask me, I'm not exactly sane. Maybe it's because life is heaven and hell all rolled into one and you guys are discovering that in trying to avoid hell, you're not getting to heaven either.[/quote]

Excellent post, stepka. Good luck to you in your own endeavors!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:14 PM

52 posts, read 63,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
well jam, when you gonna ask this chick out? I wanna hear the happy ending of the story!
Well, I believe she's interested so I firmly believe she would accept.

Quote:
Oh you're an engineer! That 'splains everything. I wish my dad were still alive so I could show him that video b/c of course he was one too--taught it in fact. But guys, he was happily married! It can happen for you. And OP, the lady has already figured out that you're inexperienced and I'm guessing she likes you just the way you are.
Do engineers have such a bad reputation when it comes to relationships?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfreak View Post

Good! then ask her out silly!

and funny you mention the reps engineers have in relationships. One of my friends is an engineer and he's such a nice guy, not bad looking either, but he's the most awkward, most man childish 29 year old I have ever met! He has mentioned that he struggles with relationships and I don't blame him sometimes. I get random texts from him with a bunch of childish nonsense words, sometimes to the point that I don't even know what he's saying! Its sometimes really hard to carry on in normal conversation with him, but at least he's fun to have around as a friend.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Good! then ask her out silly!
You have to see that from my point of view. I'm sure that for people who started dating in their teens, asking someone out is like a walk in the park. I really need to gain the courage to do that or hope she does. Even if I'm pretty sure she's interested it's like there's a voice telling 'you're crazy, why the hell would a woman in her right mind be interested in you?'.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Then don't make her miserable by passing this opportunity by. You seem to have a lot going for you, and not just the obvious things. For one thing, you'll be 100% faithful and that is big right there. Also, I'm thinking that if you can tell that she's interested, she's probably drooling in your lap over you, lol.

I wouldn't call it a bad reputation but engineers are different from the rest of us in so many ways, and it's not bad--just different. So yes, you are probably going to have more challenges in the relationship dept than your average person, but it's difficult, not impossible. That's ok, we all have challenges. Anyway, I've always said that I could hire an engineer though I know nothing about the subject, b/c I can tell just by what they're interested in, what they do for hobbies, and how they conduct their relationships. But, I love engineer types though I'm word oriented, and I'm betting your lady does too. Please let us know what you decide.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
You have to see that from my point of view. I'm sure that for people who started dating in their teens, asking someone out is like a walk in the park. I really need to gain the courage to do that or hope she does. Even if I'm pretty sure she's interested it's like there's a voice telling 'you're crazy, why the hell would a woman in her right mind be interested in you?'.
I see what you're saying. I know its not quite the same at all, but I remember when I went on my first date ever when I was 18 and the guy was a stunningly handsome blonde/blue eyed Marine, four years older than me. I remember thinking it must've been a joke that he even wanted anything to do with me because I didn't date until then. But I got over it really fast. When you really like someone its worth it. And if this woman is as interested as you say she is, why not see where it goes? c'mon! What do you have to lose?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Then don't make her miserable by passing this opportunity by. You seem to have a lot going for you, and not just the obvious things. For one thing, you'll be 100% faithful and that is big right there. Also, I'm thinking that if you can tell that she's interested, she's probably drooling in your lap over you, lol.

I wouldn't call it a bad reputation but engineers are different from the rest of us in so many ways, and it's not bad--just different. So yes, you are probably going to have more challenges in the relationship dept than your average person, but it's difficult, not impossible. That's ok, we all have challenges. Anyway, I've always said that I could hire an engineer though I know nothing about the subject, b/c I can tell just by what they're interested in, what they do for hobbies, and how they conduct their relationships. But, I love engineer types though I'm word oriented, and I'm betting your lady does too. Please let us know what you decide.
Yes, she's an English Literature teacher. There's a dinner party with some friends tomorrow, I'll see how things go and then I'll think. The other problem is even if things go well, we all know things are always very rosy in the beginning, but there's the problems and the real stuff, I'll probably give up then. Oh hell, an engineer can't solve anything when he doesn't know the problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,914 times
I suggest you seek counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships