Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 AM

19 posts, read 25,864 times

Advertisements

So many people I know get much of their socializing with with someone of the opposite sex through their work. In other words, they have a work spouse.

Work spouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I look back at nearly every place I have worked in the last ten years and I have always had a work spouse. He was usually happily married but very open to have a close relationship (friendship) with someone of the opposite sex at work. It was always easier to justify a close relationship with someone of the opposite sex at work because we were thrown together. It was not like we spent the evenings and weekends together, which would be frowned at by our spouses.

I got to be really close to my work spouses. We would go out to lunch on a regular basis, and chat about so many interesting things during slow times at work.

I was always very interested in what my husband thought about these men at work who I talked about all the time. Sometimes it was years before they met. My husband was always very curious about these men. He would ask if I were attracted to them or just passing the time. One work spouse and I logged hundreds of hours of somewhat intense conversation over four years.

So, have you met your husband/wife's WORK SPOUSE? And what did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 AM

736 posts, read 1,694,983 times
My boyfriend is an engineer and works with all men.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's my question View Post
So many people I know get much of their socializing with with someone of the opposite sex through their work. In other words, they have a work spouse.

I look back at nearly every place I have worked in the last ten years and I have always had a work spouse. He was usually happily married but very open to have a close relationship (friendship) with someone of the opposite sex at work. It was always easier to justify a close relationship with someone of the opposite sex at work because we were thrown together. It was not like we spent the evenings and weekends together, which would be frowned at by our spouses.

I got to be really close to my work spouses. We would go out to lunch on a regular basis, and chat about so many interesting things during slow times at work.

I was always very interested in what my husband thought about these men at work who I talked about all the time. Sometimes it was years before they met. My husband was always very curious about these men. He would ask if I were attracted to them or just passing the time. One work spouse and I logged hundreds of hours of somewhat intense conversation over four years.

So, have you met your husband/wife's WORK SPOUSE? And what did you think?
i work for a huge company and there's about 10k people here during the day on this plantsite. so anyway there's a lot of that going on. so many people have their little work spouses and everyone talks about them and spreads rumors about whether they're screwing or not.
i had one years ago and we became very close in fact it became too intense so we "broke it off". i was in an unhappy marriage at the time and if my wife knew how much time i was spending with my work wife she would have gone off the deep end.
now i'm married to someone that works here and neither one of us hang out with anyone else too much. i'm a jealous type of guy so there's no way i'm letting someone get too close to her here at work. we work in different buildings but i'd have to say that my real wife is also my "work spouse" now.
by the way, it is fun having a work spouse as long as you don't cross the line.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 AM

736 posts, read 1,694,983 times
Kind of reminds me of Jim and Pam from The Office.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Wait a second. I already have a spouse. Now I have to get a work spouse? One spouse is enough!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Calling a work friend a "spouse" is bizarre. In fact, I think it's pretty stupid.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 AM

95 posts, read 227,995 times
I have enough trouble accepting that my fiance used to have an actual spouse. I think the "work spouse" thing is dangerously close to crossing a line and too often what looks like too close of a relationship actually is.

Maybe I'm jaded or maybe I'm just plain old jealous, but if my fiance started spending excessive amounts of time with one particular female coworker, I wouldn't be pleased. I'm 100% sure he feels the same way.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
[quote=That's my question;17390951]So many people I know get much of their socializing with with someone of the opposite sex through their work. In other words, they have a work spouse.

quote]

You gotta love how entertaining trolls can be sometimes

Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You gotta love how entertaining trolls can be sometimes
Did you read "Not a Member" under the name?

C/D's gotten so faster

Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
My work spouse and I have known each other for several years, but have only "tied the knot" in the last year.

Her "home spouse" knows me, we've met several times, had a few drinks together and he actually appreciates my attentions to her at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships