Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Princess here with a flashy ring. Well, I think it's flashy...I like flashy, that's why I asked for it. Had the "flashy" wedding too, although it wasn't really all that flashy by NY standards. Still own the tiara, but I hardly wear it these days. I don't want folks to get the wrong impression.
Lol ... I love that you are an unapologetic princess. I did not get an engagement ring, and my wedding ring was lost about six years ago, so I have no rings. I'd like an emerald, if I could choose a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
It’s the women who do demand a giant ring/complain about the one they’ve been given that drive me nuts.

You have a man who loves you - something millions of single women dream of finding every day - and one who has gone to the effort to buy you a ring, yet you’re still not satisfied?

Talk about taking for granted.
Okay, I can understand this. We all get a little envious at times. I just wouldn't worry about the grand wishes of someone who isn't in that situation. "Oh, when I meet Mr. Right, I'm going to wear Vera Wang and make a grand entrance in a carriage drawn by white horses!" Sure you will, cupcake. I've never met a woman who turned a guy down over the size of the ring. That would be stupid.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,097,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Would you get your guy an engagement ring? I mean, it takes two to get married, right?

Never bought my dh an engagement ring. He'd scoff at the idea of it.

Some may accept an average-priced ring and later ask their husband to upgrade them or buy them a bigger one like you said.

My husband wanted to buy me diamond earings for our 10th anniversary...I told him to get me CZ's instead.

How about if a guy expected his fiancée to buy him the latest biggest 3D LED TV as, say, an engagement gift? At least it would be cheaper than the ring she’s wearing.

Got him that when he had a vasectomy
It wasn't the biggest TV but it was the one he wanted and just a smidge bigger, but not 3D...he wasn't interested in that.

Some of those women even ask their husbands to upgrade their rings or buy them a REAL one later on.

My husband suggested upgrading my ring..I told him he was crazy! I have, and always will, cherish the original. There is no need to upgrade.

Basing the relationship on how big/expensive their ring is or if they will be upgraded or not is quite common. Just read some of the responses here and in other threads that talk about this.
I haven't seen anyone respond that their relationship was based on how big/expensive their ring is. I may have missed that post

Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM

174 posts, read 327,379 times
Quote:
I hate big flashy weddings and big flashy engagement rings… and I am a woman!

Over the holiday period, a male co-worker got married and he said that his bride has only a wedding band, no engagement ring.

I asked another one of my female co-workers if she would be happy with this and she said “No way in hell!!! I want a big shiny diamond!!!”

I really really hate this attitude. Shouldn’t his love and commitment to her be enough?

I agree with you. So many women try to fulfill their childhood fantasies of creating a fairytale wedding that fictitiously foreshadow a fictiously fairytale marraige. I was lucky enough to be the 6th out of 8 children and experienced the stress and the ridiculousness of huge frilly wedding. My wedding was simple and I designed my own wedding gown and had it made in the 2 weeks before my wedding. My wedding band was simple and beautiful. My family was grateful for my frugalness and it was a blast in Vegas.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Princess here with a flashy ring. Well, I think it's flashy...I like flashy, that's why I asked for it. Had the "flashy" wedding too, although it wasn't really all that flashy by NY standards. Still own the tiara, but I hardly wear it these days. I don't want folks to get the wrong impression.
I got married in NY too! Born and raised there.

I think that's the only place in the country where you actually make your money back from the wedding gifts! Nobody else seems to do cash gifts.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,220,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I got married in NY too! Born and raised there.

I think that's the only place in the country where you actually make your money back from the wedding gifts! Nobody else seems to do cash gifts.
Italians do. eta: cash + gifts. Unfortunately, my dh is dutch/Irish so there wasn't cash coming from that side lol.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Italians do. eta: cash + gifts. Unfortunately, my dh is dutch/Irish so there wasn't cash coming from that side lol.
LOL, must be it then!

There were LOTS of Italians at our wedding.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 PM

130 posts, read 336,381 times
Quote:
I don’t think it’s ok to end your relationship with someone that you claim to love, because they want to love and marry you... but won’t/can't buy you a diamond.

That’s just me.
There is a difference between "won't" and "can't". I mean, if someone has the financial means to purchase his bride the ring that she wants then what is the big deal? I can understand if you aren't coming from a certain level of financial means but then again there is always Zales or whatever where you can get something for $200. You do realize that a wedding ring doesn't have to be $20,000?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,405,375 times
Nice weddings are preferred. BIG flashy weddings are no-no FOR me. Small rings are better. BIG rings? No way for me as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times
Some couples can afford the flashy ring and fancy wedding. So why put them down? It's their money to spend as they please. And it's also alright to just exchange simple gold bands and have a small wedding. We live in a capitalist free market system, so we can do what we want to.

It seems to me that most of the women I know that went the big diamond ring and expensive wedding route, had the collective means to do so. And most had a family tradition of the big diamond ring and splashy wedding. Some bride's families treat a large wedding as an excuse to bring all of their family and friends together for a giant party. And many times, a wedding celebration is the only way to gather everyone together at the same time and place. And I know some guys that make enough money, so that it's no big deal to buy a big diamond ring for their intended bride.

I'm not a big wedding woman. But I do like diamonds, and I make no apologies for loving fine jewelry. However, I buy my own bling. And I don't expect all of us to think the same way about anything. I find this thread to be rather silly, and I'm thinking that the O.P. wants to be thought cool by the guys (and gals) for thinking the way she does. But I'm not impressed. Shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships