Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
And this is why police departments take stalking cases so serioulsy

no offense to any man but 80% of the stalking cases (The vast majority) are from men to women
There's really no reason to point that out. Most people know that.

To a man who's been stalked by a woman, that statistic doesn't matter; it's like how if you were to tell the family of somone that was murdered that there was only one murder per year in that city... doesn't really mean much to them, does it? Their loved one is the one who died!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There's really no reason to point that out. Most people know that.

To a man who's been stalked by a woman, that statistic doesn't matter; it's like how if you were to tell the family of somone that was murdered that there was only one murder per year in that city... doesn't really mean much to them, does it? Their loved one is the one who died!
Someone on this thread mentioned that the police seems to care a lot for women making the complaing of stalking of harassment. The reason is that on a lot of cases, things like the one YOU described happens.

I read some about stalking and the likelihood of murder by a female stalker to a male victim is very low. The likelihood of murder from a male stalker to a female victim is very high. Hence the behavior of PD around the country. It is really a matter of probability, not gender bias.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My sister went through the same thing with her husband a few years ago, execpt that she went back to him. While they were separated we were afraid that he'd come to my parents' house or to where she was staying with a gun. They've been together since she was 19, and she's convinced herself that he must love her so much to be so possessive. My dad forbids him to come into my parents' home, which my sister doesn't understand. Makes holidays fun, tellyouwhat.
I'm sorry about your sister. I'm glad that my husband's sister still won't have anything to do with her ex, although she still does not have very good taste in men. (She always finds fixer-uppers that don't work out. ) He never came to a single hearing, not for the restraining orders or divorce or child custody. I went with her to one of the restraining order hearings, and he was waiting for her outside. He jumped out of the car and wanted to talk to her. We kept walking--this was at the courthouse so there were cops everywhere--and our car was right there. He followed us for a while in his car, but when he saw us using the car phone (we were calling the cops), he left. He's a stupid coward, but I'm glad of that. He could be smart and not a coward, and that's when people really get hurt.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
And this is why police departments take stalking cases so serioulsy

no offense to any man but 80% of the stalking cases (The vast majority) are from men to women
Don’t know where you got your percentage but it wouldn’t surprise me either…

Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Unfortunately, yes. There was a man who knew when I got to work every day, what I was wearing, and how my hair was styled. he knew when I left and if I talked to anyone on the way to and from my car.

I got flowers every day at work, and gave them to my patients. I started refusing them after a while. Enough is enough. 100 roses? NO!

He covered his body in tattoos with my name and pictures of me, etc.

It got to be pretty scary and yes the police were involved. I am hoping it is done with.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Don’t know where you got your percentage but it wouldn’t surprise me either…
Onhi I got it from the US department of Justice study. Let me see if I can find it. I read some on the subject, just in case I had to sue someone like my employer.

I wish I wouldn't have read, because it is quite upsetting. Another book in stalking is "The Gift of Fear" of Gavin Becker. Most victims like me DO NOT UNDERSTAND why they are so afraid. But if you are afraid, besically you need to listen to those fears. 99% of the time if you feel you are being stalked YOU ARE.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I've never been stalked or knew anyone who has but I can imagine how scary it is!

I make it known to everyone that I am armed and have weapons stashed all over my house. I definately would not hestitate to pull out my .45 if I feel I needed to.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm sorry about your sister. I'm glad that my husband's sister still won't have anything to do with her ex, although she still does not have very good taste in men. (She always finds fixer-uppers that don't work out. ) He never came to a single hearing, not for the restraining orders or divorce or child custody. I went with her to one of the restraining order hearings, and he was waiting for her outside. He jumped out of the car and wanted to talk to her. We kept walking--this was at the courthouse so there were cops everywhere--and our car was right there. He followed us for a while in his car, but when he saw us using the car phone (we were calling the cops), he left. He's a stupid coward, but I'm glad of that. He could be smart and not a coward, and that's when people really get hurt.
Definitely scary stuff.

Not to make light of stalking, but here's a funny Donald Glover stand-up bit about the difference between crazy man and crazy women stories:

Donald Glover - Crazy Stories - Video Clip | Comedy Central's Jokes.com (starts at 1:45)

Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Onhi I got it from the US department of Justice study. Let me see if I can find it. I read some on the subject, just in case I had to sue someone like my employer

I can imagine the numbers up there.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 PM

http://www.ovw.usdoj.gov/docs/stalki...timization.pdf

here is the link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships