Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,733 times

Advertisements

Have you ever thought so lowly of an acquaintance that their negative comments about a neutral third party led to the development of a positive impression of said third party ?

Quick Example
Last week, after playing soccer with a couple of friends and acquaintances, one guy made a comment about how some girl who worked at the gym was a slob, because a couple ago, he saw her leave a house party with two guys in drunkin fashion.

I see the girl at gym all the time, but I never really noticed her. However, this douchebag's comment has changed everything. Now, for some reason, I see her in a positive light. I now think she's quite attractive, and I kind of like her voice. Tbh, I'm loving every new attribute I notice about her.

I know this resulted from the mere fact that I'm utterly disgusted by the guy's personality in general, and I probably didn't even bother to rationalize. You know, I highly doubt he's lying about the house party incident, but still....

Anyway, it just hit me that a fair amount of the positive impressions I have of people I relate and have related to platonically/romantically have come about in a similar way.

Questions
Has anyone ever being in a particularly similar situation, and do you think it's a healthy/good/normal way to develop positive impressions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,324 times
Probably not a good way to develop positive impressions about people but rather a GREAT way to want to get to know the "third party" to see if it's true

Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,108 times
I think its better to hold a neutral opinion of someone until you actually meet them and get to know them.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
I don't keep acquaintances that I think lowly of... so I can't say...

Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I can't think of an instance of that in my life, but that has probably happened a few times. Kind of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships