Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post

There is truth to what he reported, some of the things he's said I actually believe myself. But he was a dispicable sex crazed sociopath.
I do not agree with you.

People may have a problem with Dr. Kinsey's personal morality - people are after all entitled to being judgmental and opinionated; it has been reported that Dr. Kinsey engaged in outside sexual activity with the knowledge and permission of his wife Clara ... but this does not diminish the value of his scientific research.

This is something we should give a rest; like Thomas Jefferson's sexual relationship with one of his slaves. Rather, let us focus on the more recent scientific research on human sexuality. Debating the sex lives of someone who has been dead for more than half a century is, in my view, is not that relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Few people are 100% anything, so this does not surprise me at all. I think that people are becoming less judgmental and paranoid about sexual orientation, so more are willing to be open about what was once taboo. Good for them.
This is what I'm thinking. Back in the 1950s Kinsey's research found that 30% of men had had a sexual encounter wtih another man, so this is nothing now. Finally, the sexual repression is being discarded and young people are just admitting to what has always been there.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
It seems people who want to attach labels to others are generally insecure in their sexuality and require such labeling in order to constrain and reassure themselves. A label gives them something to grip on, to identify by.

Personally, for me, I just live and let live. I totally understand what this article is saying, ultimately some guys just hate labels, and because they're so binary and stark, they don't want to identify with either gay, bi or totally straight because they have at-large societal connotations thanks to those who label.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It seems people who want to attach labels to others are generally insecure in their sexuality and require such labeling in order to constrain and reassure themselves. A label gives them something to grip on, to identify by.

Personally, for me, I just live and let live
. .
This^^.. Anytime I see people get so riled up over what someone else chooses to label themselves, I think 2 things: 1) An agenda is afoot, which necessitates the categorizing of people to either advance the agenda or vilify the opposition to that agenda. 2) People want others to cling to the labels that they themselves cling to, so that their own behavior can be rationalized as "100% straight" or "100% gay" or "100 % bisexual" etc.

The more these topics of sexuality are brought up, the less I believe in any of the labels at all. I dont think "gays" exist, and I dont think "straights" exist in any scientifically verifiable sense. I also think the fact that nearly all of our "science" is gleaned from western/European/American sources is highly suspect. I find it hard to accept that we dont value what scientists and cultures in other regions of the world have developed a consensus on. Its as if we accept only the scientific opinions of the guys in Idaho and Canterbury on matters of sexuality.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I think it is the male equivalent of what a lot of women are like these days - mostly straight most of the time. I'm completely straight all the time, but these days it feels like I am in the minority.
You're telling me....

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

754 posts, read 1,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I do not agree with you.

People may have a problem with Dr. Kinsey's personal morality - people are after all entitled to being judgmental and opinionated; it has been reported that Dr. Kinsey engaged in outside sexual activity with the knowledge and permission of his wife Clara ... but this does not diminish the value of his scientific research.

This is something we should give a rest; like Thomas Jefferson's sexual relationship with one of his slaves. Rather, let us focus on the more recent scientific research on human sexuality. Debating the sex lives of someone who has been dead for more than half a century is, in my view, is not that relevant.
You are entitled to disagree of course, however, I have a problem with giving ANY credibility to someone who admitted to the things I posted. It is not hearsay. After he admitted this, the Kinsey Institute themselves performed the survey again because again Dr. Kinsey ADMITTED to everything. The institute said that even though Kinsey lied the results were the same. Considering they had everything to lose, of course it should be taken with a grain of salt. Even if you have no problem with someone using their position to have sex with anybody and everybody in the name of "science", surely you have to agree that working with pedophiles and his treatment of children was despicable and can not be defended. Personally, I will not take anything coming out the Kinsey institute as valid. I prefer any scientific information to come from a reputable source. They are not. But again, there will always be people on both sides of this. I just can't understand why people are still defending him.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,728 times
I've had sex with women who I'm not attracted to. They did not turn me on in the least, but I was still turned on by what they were doing and what I was doing to them.

Were I to try it with a man, that's what I imagine it would be like.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,625 times
I am mostly Heterosexual, with a little bit of Homo thrown in because I do find some men to be physically attractive, but I can never see myself dating and marrying a guy. I think Bradley Cooper for example is a good looking dude, but still I would never in a million years choose to be with him over Carrie Underwood or Jennifer Connelly. After all I still am mostly Hetero.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
I've had sex with women who I'm not attracted to. They did not turn me on in the least, but I was still turned on by what they were doing and what I was doing to them.

Were I to try it with a man, that's what I imagine it would be like.

ewwwww.............why are you even thinking about that?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
ewwwww.............why are you even thinking about that?
I have an over-active imagination.

Don't worry, I wasn't thinking about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships