Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM

32 posts, read 56,971 times

Advertisements

I am obsessed with pretty much all other portions of city-data.com, so how I never migrated into the relationships forum before is beyond me.

I'm a recently single mother (2 yr old twin boys). I was with their father for 4 years and after YEARS of wanting to leave, I finally got the courage. I was having high expectations of hopefully one day finding someone who would love and respect me. That was until I came across all of the topics on single moms in this forum. People have some pretty nasty things to say about single moms.

One thing in particular that depressed me was a kid who said that single moms had to lower their standards because they were desperate. So a 10 woman, who would normally date 10s, would be left to date 6s if she were a mom. Brutal. And then the whole stereotype of single moms looking for a replacement father/financial support. Is that REALLY what men think about single mothers?

Am I, a 26 year old, college educated, successful, hard working, attractive woman, destined to lower my standards and get stereotyped continuously just because I am a single mother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Of course you don't lower your standards.

Lots of men get into a relationship with a single parent and make it work.

Don't for a minute think half the men on this forum reflect what normal men think

Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Of course you don't lower your standards.

Lots of men get into a relationship with a single parent and make it work.

Don't for a minute think half the men on this forum reflect what normal men think
Such a good point. We have a handful of really good guys on this forum.

A HANDFUL. (and you know who you are, don't make me name names )

Most males who post here have obvious issues themselves and do not accurately represent the male population out in the real world.

OP, no reason to be depressed!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
dont lower your standards, but maybe your expectations. Men in your age group typically do not want to raise another man's kids, thats just the way it is

Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellea View Post
Brutal.
It may be brutal, but it's true. Your choices are limited for this reason because not everybody wants to deal with it. Other people's choices are limited for different reasons. C'est la vie.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
dont lower your standards, but maybe your expectations. Men in your age group typically do not want to raise another man's kids, thats just the way it is

^

This!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,676 times
Quote:
Am I, a 26 year old, college educated, successful, hard working, attractive woman, destined to lower my standards and get stereotyped continuously just because I am a single mother?
I guess that depends on whether or not you believe everything you read on the innarwebs.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
If you lower your standards that is what you will get. Better to continue with your good life now that you disengaged the silly girl gear and shifted into the gettin real gear. Next, graduate to being a real woman and make having a quality relationship 3rd on your priority list ..... after a quality family life for your kids and keeping your financial boat afloat. Many, many kids of single parents do best when a new man is NOT in their world.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM

817 posts, read 811,281 times
Quote:
I am obsessed with pretty much all other portions of city-data.com, so how I never migrated into the relationships forum before is beyond me.

I'm a recently single mother (2 yr old twin boys). I was with their father for 4 years and after YEARS of wanting to leave, I finally got the courage. I was having high expectations of hopefully one day finding someone who would love and respect me. That was until I came across all of the topics on single moms in this forum. People have some pretty nasty things to say about single moms.

One thing in particular that depressed me was a kid who said that single moms had to lower their standards because they were desperate. So a 10 woman, who would normally date 10s, would be left to date 6s if she were a mom. Brutal. And then the whole stereotype of single moms looking for a replacement father/financial support. Is that REALLY what men think about single mothers?

Hmm, don't lower your standards, whatever they are, but the fact that you are out of a bad relationship shows that you had poor planning to begin with which made you get into such a relationship, what makes you think that any man who is willing to give you a chance doesn't feel that you might leave him next, I am not saying that it's your fault that you're out of a bad relationship, but how would any man take your word for granted.

Also, if you are a single mom, you might have to consider giving a chance to men that you wouldn't even have considered when you were younger, sorry but that's the way of the world, brutal, perhaps, but then that's how it is. If given a choice between a single young women with no kids and no strings attached and yourself, most eligible and qualified young men would go for the former, sorry, but that's the fact.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 AM

78,412 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:

Did you really just complain about being stereotyped while stereotyping guys about what they want?

There are millions of guys out there, odds are there is a good one for you out there. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships