Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,005 times

Advertisements

I've been on dates with a few guys and when the time comes to reject them or tell them I feel there's no connection or compatability, they don't take it very well at all. Some have turned to insults, others have told me I didn't give them a chance to let them show their real selves, and others just won't accept it. I have always been honest with them so I don't think I deserve being insulted...I never lead people on, it's just simply that there's no chemistry and that's it. The latest one had me laughing quite a bit. He seemed normal, albeit maybe a bit strange and mysterious, but when I told him I couldn't continue seeing him and gave him my reason, he went on about how he was a highly successful and respectable person in "x" field and had several connections in that same field and that I missed out on a golden chance to be with a very wealthy person, etc. I had to laugh at that. Why can't people just accept defeat and humbly move on? What happened to having some self-respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Typically I tell them "enjoy your evening." or say it was a pleasure talking with them.

After facing so many rejections recently though, I just stopped trying.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I've been on dates with a few guys and when the time comes to reject them or tell them I feel there's no connection or compatability, they don't take it very well at all. Some have turned to insults, others have told me I didn't give them a chance to let them show their real selves, and others just won't accept it. I have always been honest with them so I don't think I deserve being insulted...I never lead people on, it's just simply that there's no chemistry and that's it. The latest one had me laughing quite a bit. He seemed normal, albeit maybe a bit strange and mysterious, but when I told him I couldn't continue seeing him and gave him my reason, he went on about how he was a highly successful and respectable person in "x" field and had several connections in that same field and that I missed out on a golden chance to be with a very wealthy person, etc. I had to laugh at that. Why can't people just accept defeat and humbly move on? What happened to having some self-respect?
Same thing as getting rejected for a job offer. No big deal. Move on. I find it exciting.

The thing is I can't change her mind to like me but like the fact that she is honest with me. I rather have her reject me now then later.

What do you describe as leading someone on? Money alone is not going to change that chemistry and keep you happy emotionally when both of you are old.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Typically I tell them "enjoy your evening." or say it was a pleasure talking with them.

After facing so many rejections recently though, I just stopped trying.
Why stop? You still have to get that sale.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Same thing as getting rejected for a job offer. No big deal. Move on. I find it exciting.

The thing is I can't change her mind to like me but like the fact that she is honest with me. I rather have her reject me now then later.

What do you describe as leading someone on? Money alone is not going to change that chemistry and keep you happy emotionally when both of you are old.
Leading someone on is making them believe you like them and would like to pursue a relationship or continue seeing them. I've always been honest.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why stop? You still have to get that sale.
because I felt like taking a break after god knows how many rejections.

And many "you're a little short for me" snags.

I'll bide my time. Besides, I'm too busy saving lives at the moment to worry about dates apparently.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM

532 posts, read 1,056,221 times
Come back with politely phrased reasons for rejecting them, so that it seems like a mutual process, even if it isn't.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,108,330 times
What's rejection?

Wait a minute, let me go Google it.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,221 times
I usually talk on the phone a few times to see if we have similar ideals and things in common. If we don't then I won't call again. In my experience, it allows the first date or meeting to go a lot better because we have an understanding about one another. We aren't sitting there nervous, trying to say the right things or worried about what the other person thinks. We can be relax and know this person likes me, I like them, we are just getting comfortable with each other.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Leading someone on is making them believe you like them and would like to pursue a relationship or continue seeing them. I've always been honest.
You might be just outgoing and the guy would think you are leading him on but in reality you aren't. You can't help that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships