Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Are ya deaf, SD?
Whuuut?

Hey I am proficient in home repairs, landscaping, cooking, I look good in turnout gear, and can handle most traumatic injuries and illness', am a decent shot providing security... What more do I need to do?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
What more do I need to do?
I dunno... Why dontcha look over your shoulder and ask?!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I dunno... Why dontcha look over your shoulder and ask?!
I am afraid she'd tell me.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Whuuut?

Hey I am proficient in home repairs, landscaping, cooking, I look good in turnout gear, and can handle most traumatic injuries and illness', am a decent shot providing security... What more do I need to do?
Nothing. Just keep cooking!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Nothing. Just keep cooking!
yees, dear! i can do that!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If you got divorced, he would have to give you money.

If he died, you would most likely get money in the form of death benefits.
This is extremely naive. In the case of divorce, the wife gets half of the marital assets, but nothing that he came into the marriage with.

Half a house is useless if you cannot pay the mortgage on it and it has very little equity. Most likely mom and kids move into a much, much smaller, cheaper place, away from school and support systems.

Alimony only lasts a few years until the wife gets a job, and in some states, like mine, there is no alimony. Child support is mandated by the state and is not enough to constitute an income.

When I got divorced, I got the house but I had to give my ex $50k to pay for his half of the equity. I got that by refinancing, so the mortgage was even higher than before. If I did not have my own career we would have been screwed, but I was able to keep my kids in the same house and school district, so there was minimal disruption.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardindex View Post
You are newly married and you and your husband are living in your own house.Your husband earns about $ 15,000+/month which is enough for you both of you and also for future kids. Husband has good job security too!

Now, you are either a high school or a college graduate with just ordinary degree (no doctor, lawyer degree etc).Your husband wants you to spend more time in household works.Although he will help in household work but more responsibility is on you.
You have an active surrounding community so you won't feel bored in the afternoon. Your husband's office is only 2-3 minutes drive.

You have a very strong relationship with your husband. He shares every financial detail with you and also transfers a good amount of his income in your bank account every month for your personal use thinking that it's his duty.Husband always adores about your cooking and other household work.

So what would you do in this situation?

1) No Job and full time house wife. (still husband will have some household responsibilities)
2) Part time job and still managing household work.
3) Full time job and asking him for more household responsibilities.
I would wake up from that dream, grab some coffee and go to work.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
If you got divorced, he would have to give you money.

If he died, you would most likely get money in the form of death benefits.
Death benefits from SS are about 300$. You are assuming he had a hugh life insurance policy? Is it enough to pay the funeral expenses, pay off the mortgage and all other debts and support you for the rest of your life. Probably not.

As for "he would have to give you money", what Zentropa said.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 AM

613 posts, read 991,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Have you ever thought about what you would do if you won the lottery? It's a great exercise, because once you remove "making money" from the equation, it becomes about what you really want TO DO!
I've definitely thought about it........

SHOP!!! for a new house, new car, new clothes, new appliances, new tv, a maid, a financial consultant, a vacation home, a boat, a personal trainer, new gadgets (computer, phone, etc.), kids' college education, built in pool, home gym. YEP, think I could keep myself pretty busy with all of the above.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Winning the lottery is completely different scenario. If you won enough then neither would have to work.

Relying on your husband for money is foolish and naive. Many a wife has been blindsided by her husband running off with his secretary leaving her broke.

The least thing you can do is have a decent career that you can always keep up to date in. I find men enjoy a more independent woman anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships