Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:46 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times

Advertisements

Female Pols Have Fewer Sex Scandals Because Men Don’t Find Female Power Erotic

While Baird makes note of a few female pols who have behaved badly (former Charlotte, NC mayor Sue Myrick, Idaho congresswoman Helen Chenoweth, Utah congresswoman Katherine Bryson), one of the possible reasons fewer women have been caught cheating is because there are fewer female politicians, period.

Female Pols Have Fewer Sex Scandals Because Men Don't Find Female Power Erotic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
I don't know how true A is but I agree with B, especially female politicians. I don't think many will care if a female celebrity cheats on her boyfriend/husband especially if she is more famous than them but for female politicians, it's hard enough to get elected but considering how infidelity would ruin a male politicians career it would destroy any hope of a career for a female politician.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:09 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Barbara Walters. Just thought of one.
She hardly got any flack really, IMHO.....

Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Given that married men and women cheat in roughly the same numbers, why is it so much less likely to hear about famous women who have had affairs?

Think men are the unfaithful sex? A study shows WOMEN are the biggest cheats - they're just better at lying about it | Mail Online

I don't agree with the title that women cheat more often, and the content seems to disagree with it--

--but I do wonder where all the female Charlie Sheens and Tiger Woodses and Arnold Swarzeneggers are. Shouldn't we have some juicy stories about Denise Richards and Gabrielle Reese and Kristen Gillibrand by now? There's the story about Farrah Fawcett's 11-year affair, but I think the scales are severely out of whack, still. I have often said that people always find out; I said as much in the threads about Woods, Swarzenegger, and John Edwards. So what gives?

A. Famous women are just better at keeping the secret, or they choose more discreet partners. (In other words, they're cheating but not discovered.)
B. Famous women have more to lose, so although men and women cheat to the same degree, famous women cheat less.
C. The media suppresses stories about famous women cheating because of sexist bias.
D. Other.

Haven't had a chance to read the thread yet, but the way I understand it more men do cheat.

It's just that the women who cheat cheat more often and with more people. But there are actually fewer women who do it.

I'll have to see if I can dig that stat up.

And when it comes to famous, powerful women I believe while they may enjoy sex, it's not the aphrodisiac for them that it is for men.

See, I think many regular woman have sex or just use their bodes to feel powerful or to gain power.

But a famous, powerful woman ALREADY has what sex is giving some other women, so they don't cheat like their male counterparts do, which is why we don't have many female Tiger's or Arnold's.

Just my theory

Off to read the thread now to see what everyone else thinks.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
A vote for C! I was wondering if anyone would pick that one.
I don't know that it's so much vote as it is just providing info that backed up Coolhand's statement. You have to consider the source which was a men's magazine.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I don't know that it's so much vote as it is just providing info that backed up Coolhand's statement. You have to consider the source which was a men's magazine.
That may not be relevant, if it was about men cheating and in a woman's magazine would we question it?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
That may not be relevant, if it was about men cheating and in a woman's magazine would we question it?
Sure, I always consider the source for credibility. I'm not saying everyone does, but they should.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
If we are looking at heterosexual populations, one would assume that the numbers would have to be fairly equal.

In Tiger Woods case you have one famous male and several non-famous females. This type of cheating (one man/many women) skews the numbers.
Ummmm...those women weren't cheating. Tiger was, but all of those women were single.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
I'll try to explain. . .
You don't have to be MARRIED to cheat.
If TWO or MORE of the women that Tiger Woods was cheating with were also in RELATIONSHIPS, then they were cheating too.
I don't agree, as I think that most people, reading such studies, understand it to mean exactly married people...not single.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I do think there is a double standard, but I think it comes from a place where society still believes that a woman would never risk a good marriage, given all the obstacles she may face being single and getting older, while a man will take on that risk, even in a good marriage, just for some sex & variety.

I also think the cheating husbands tend to get vilified more than the cheating wives, because we (society) pity & come to the defense of the wife. The wife.... that "poor, aging woman who stood by her husband's side and supported him and his career and is now left without as many options". [i]
I don't think the double standard falls so neatly along gender lines. It seems to be more on a case-by-case basis. For example, Brad Pitt supposedly ditched Jennifer Aniston for Angelina, but I don't see a lot of people badmouthing Pitt. Now contrast that with John Edwards. He cheated on a woman who was suffering from terminal cancer so it's no surprise people hate him. Next we go to Bill Clinton. His approval ratings actually went up after his affair, partly because people hated the whole impeachment saga, but also because a lot of people just find Hillary incredibly unlikeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships