Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times

Advertisements

What is it about this person? The Je ne sais quoi?

I really wonder, personally.

It seems to be several really simple things.

Basic values, character and perspective on life--I'm female so--guys that know they aren't perfect and do 'dumb' things and try to understand what went 'wrong'---that counts for a lot.

lol--'I am a man, I can't help myself'---that goes a long way with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
Well I would eventually move on after their passing, but I will be very sad to say the least when my parents pass. Despite all the screw-ups I've made they still love me, they're wise, they're hard workers, and they're always there for me.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:06 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
What the hell are you talking about.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
The only person I can't live without is myself.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The only person I can't live without is myself.
I think that is one dimensional.

My cousin certainly took his time. He must have been in his mid 30's/late 30's.

A conservative sort. Then one day, I never got the whole story --he met the right one. Much like him. He had tears in his eyes at their wedding.

I guess that has been over 10 years. He is a happy man. He met this woman shortly after his mother died. They were very close. His daddy was nearly 80 and had health problems. His sister then developed breast cancer, survived,it went into remission. His daddy got worse--had to be placed in a nursing home--heart and kidney problems. His sister's cancer returned and spread to her brain/inoperable. She died. One month later his daddy died.

Without his wife and her daughter by a previous marriage--now in her mid 20's--I don't think he could have coped or not nearly so well.

I suppose he could 'live' without her but together they live more fully.

I would like to hear more about such experiences. In my cousin's case--he knew himself and what he wanted/needed. A much better person than I could ever be.

His sister was also an exceptional person. Valedictorian of her class---respected in her profession and involved in her church and community. She chose not to get married--for reasons that I think/thought were senseless. Very shy and modest --very sweet and would have made an excellent wife.

I suppose her life was fulfilling--she certainly was a support to many people. Maybe that is another 'aspect of love'. She didn't go through her life alone.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:21 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What the hell are you talking about.
Yeah, and what does "The Je ne sais quoi" mean? I only speak English!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Yeah, and what does "The Je ne sais quoi" mean? I only speak English!

'I don't know what'---pardonez moi.

What is it about a person that 'turns you on'. It seems clear enough to me--'Why did you choose the person you chose?'

If I tried I could probably come up with additional thread titles.

If this thread is not your cup of tea--no harm, no foul.

In my experience --there is some sort of spark--however you choose to describe it--that 'Je ne sais quoi'.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
'I don't know what'---pardonez moi.

What is it about a person that 'turns you on'. It seems clear enough to me--'Why did you choose the person you chose?'

If I tried I could probably come up with additional thread titles.

If this thread is not your cup of tea--no harm, no foul.

In my experience --there is some sort of spark--however you choose to describe it--that 'Je ne sais quoi'.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

And when it sees it, it knows it

It's never just one thing that makes your heart make the choice it does.

It's a dizzying, colorful kaleidoscope of things that speak to your senses all at once.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
Haven't anyone yet that I absolutely cannot live without... unfortunately, this includes most of my family as well, the exception being my grandma- she just "gets" me better than the rest of my family does. I'd miss that.

outside of those few family members, like I said, I haven't met anyone I can't live without.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:46 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
The obvious answer is "me." If I am not here, I can't live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships