Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,281,953 times

Advertisements

I love hearing about people who are happily married. I was for a while too - no one intends to divorce. Here's my take on it...

Get 100 married couples.
Commonly accepted statistics tell us that at least 50% are doomed to divorce.
So that leaves 50 couples.
Of those 50, probably 20 are actively happy, 20 are just bumping along, and 10 (I'm being generous here) would describe themselves as unhappy or unfulfilled, yet still stay together for financial/religious reasons.
So we actually have 20 out of 100 couples whose marriage can be described as "successful". Now add in unforseens such as unemployment, homelessness, illness, drugs or alcohol, or any number of the buckets of ***** life can throw at you. How many of those 20 couples will survive a serious test of their relationship? Probably only 10 at best. This is also not accounting for those couples whose "love" is actually some sort of unhealthy co-dependancy...we all know them...those who cannot even have an opinion or make a lunch date without first running it through their partners. Ugh.

In fact if I keep going, I'll prove to myself that the only people who stay married are the mentally ill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,222,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I love hearing about people who are happily married. I was for a while too - no one intends to divorce. Here's my take on it...

Get 100 married couples.
Of those 50, probably 20 are actively happy, 20 are just bumping along, and 10 (I'm being generous here) would describe themselves as unhappy or unfulfilled, yet still stay together for financial/religious reasons.
So we actually have 20 out of 100 couples whose marriage can be described as "successful". Now add in unforseens such as unemployment, homelessness, illness, drugs or alcohol, or any number of the buckets of ***** life can throw at you. How many of those 20 couples will survive a serious test of their relationship? Probably only 10 at best. This is also not accounting for those couples whose "love" is actually some sort of unhealthy co-dependancy...we all know them...those who cannot even have an opinion or make a lunch date without first running it through their partners. Ugh.

In fact if I keep going, I'll prove to myself that the only people who stay married are the mentally ill!
You're treating all these couples as if they are on equal footing. They are not. That's one of the many problems people have when attempting to interpret stats. The couple at risk for drug dependence and homelessness is not the same couple at a statistical marriage-success advantage. The latter group tends to be older, educated professionals and the former group tends to be younger, uneducated couples.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,411,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
What they don't realize is that when facing a divorce involving money, children, property people will turn into creatures you didn't know even existed.
THIS IS IT IN A NUTSHELL. It's kind of like wondering: if you try to pet a mako shark, will it bite you? You don't need to experience that to know it will.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
[quote=desertsun41;19284457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;19284220
Nope. "WE" were unable to sustain it. Because the relationship is unsustainable for long term, it's more rooted deep into our biology then our moral minds ability to force it to work. Especially men who need some variety. Hey don't shoot me for saying that. Blame your God for making us that way.
Relationships don't sustain themselves.
People sustain them. Or don't.

Problem number ONE identified.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,033,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

Get 100 married couples.

I won't quibble with your stats too much. But I will say that I think that if they are true, they are more a reflection on our collective state of emotional intelligence/maturity than they are on the institutionn of marriage.

I think the thing we humans have not faced up to is that our general levels of emotional intelligence are quite low. That is why we still have so much divorce, violence, drug and alcohol addiction (and various other addictions, etc) and general lack of cooperation in our culture and the world at large. We blame all of this on marriage, but really the problem is staring most of us right in the mirror.

Has it ocurred to anyone that maybe the most of the 10% to 20% of folks who have good and long lasting marriages have a higher EQ (emotional intelligence quotient) than the rest of us and that maybe there's something we can learn from these folks? (As opposed to thinking they just won the marriage lottery).

Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
Yes. Usually people who have good things come into their lives have taken the steps to create the environment in which those good things are attracted and flourish. But people would rather say they are lucky so they won't have to accept responsibility for why they do not have the same.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. Usually people who have good things come into their lives have taken the steps to create the environment in which those good things are attracted and flourish. But people would rather say they are lucky so they won't have to accept responsibility for why they do not have the same.
Agreed and this can obviously be applied to a broad range of topics.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,979,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I have never been married, but it seems to be pretty miserable. So many married couples fight a lot. Not Newlyweds, but people who have been married for a long time. They seem to take each other for granted, and they stop doing little things to appreciate each other. Possibly worst of all, married couples hardly ever have sex!

Obviously this is not true for Everyone and there are exceptions (like every other thread ever created on the Relationships forum, its based on some Politically Incorrect Stereotyping). But marriage seems like such a miserable experience. Surely there must be some good points that i am missing. But wow, no wonder guys never want to Tie the Knot. The older I get and the more of my buddies i see getting married, the more it sounds like a Jail Sentence.

Anyway, is marriage totally overrated, or are there some good things I am missing? Could you be happy for the rest of your life having a Significant Other but not getting married? Who knows, maybe you would end up fighting less and having sex more.
It's not what it used to be.

Like jobs. There were good ones out there at one time. Benefits and all. Not anymore.

Like having kids. Used to be alot of benefits...not anymore. They just demand you give them this and that.

Times have changed. I wouldn't get married. Not worth it anymore. Don't even know why people bother. If you have no morals than just shack up once in a while with a FWB and forget about it.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
It's not what it used to be.

Like jobs. There were good ones out there at one time. Benefits and all. Not anymore.

Like having kids. Used to be alot of benefits...not anymore. They just demand you give them this and that.

Times have changed. I wouldn't get married. Not worth it anymore. Don't even know why people bother. If you have no morals than just shack up once in a while with a FWB and forget about it.
Well, some people do have it all. That's why. It's just not most any more.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,229,683 times
Bad ones are. Good ones aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships