Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times

Advertisements

Here I sit, at my job for the last 10 1/2 years. I saw a lot of turnover in that time.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The risk goes both way. Besides, it's not like you see much loyalty from the employers, so I don't blame these people at all. Everybody fends for himself in this damn world!

An acquaintance of mine's son moved his whole family with a little baby to Alaska for a job that lasted 6 months! How about that?!
I meant it more in the sense that if you give your "word" by joining a company, it is sort of a good faith thing... of course if the company is a crappy one then leave, but to just show up for a week or so and just split just seems a little dodgy to me.

Plus, is it kind of a crappy thing to do to your co-workers who may be relying on you to a certain degree... now they may be stuck with more work until someone else can be hired.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
It's happened here a few times since I've been working there.

But this definitely isn't a job for everyone. You have to be willing to work and get filthy at times. Most people just don't like it. I don't like it much either but it pays the bills for now.
It's just courtesy to give a two-week notice so they can find someone else. But if they're not going to do that, it would be nice if they called and let you know they're leaving. (Then the other employees are stuck covering for them while they find a replacement).

I suppose sometimes something could have happened to them, but most of the time word gets around that they were complaining and just ended up quitting.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
It's just courtesy to give a two-week notice so they can find someone else. But if they're not going to do that, it would be nice if they called and let you know they're leaving. (Then the other employees are stuck covering for them while they find a replacement).

I suppose sometimes something could have happened to them, but most of the time word gets around that they were complaining and just ended up quitting.
We had a guy who used to bike to that job. His first Saturday(which is only half days) he was biking into work, and a car hit him! His legs were apparently all F'd up and had injured ribs.

It was a shame, he was actually learning the job pretty well, too.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Out here we have 2 buck chuck.... I think in AZ they charge 3 bucks.... anyways, some really good table wine for 2 bucks a bottle good stuff.. I mean, nothing to write home about but really, for the money it is really a good decent table wine.

We have a winery here in downtown LA surprisingly enough that has a petite Syrah that would just make you drop your panties for.... it is like 25 bucks a bottle... but, IDK, I'd surrender my first born for a case or two....
What a fitting description; first you drink it, then you do it.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
We had a guy who used to bike to that job. His first Saturday(which is only half days) he was biking into work, and a car hit him! His legs were apparently all F'd up and had injured ribs.

It was a shame, he was actually learning the job pretty well, too.
How awful. Now if that guy managed to call in...

I hope he wasn't permanently disabled by it.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
How awful. Now if that guy managed to call in...

I hope he wasn't permanently disabled by it.
Believe it or not, he had the hospital call in for him and he tried to save his job.

He didn't, and I don't know if he's going to be disabled from it or not, but I heard he had like 6+ months of physical therapy to go through.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
What a fitting description; first you drink it, then you do it.
One of my SILs is a real wine "connoisseur." She was mortified when they served Two Buck Chuck at her son's wedding.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Oh I do like craft beers. Heavy Seas, Flying Dog and Dogfish Head make some killer stuff, and I'm also a fan of Samuel Adams' stable of brews.

But when getting sloshed is the central theme, you want something cheap that goes down easily. I'd feel bad drinking a fine artisanal beer just to get buzzed.
Some craft beers are high gravity and you can't help but get buzzed!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, he had the hospital call in for him and he tried to save his job.

He didn't, and I don't know if he's going to be disabled from it or not, but I heard he had like 6+ months of physical therapy to go through.
Poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships