Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

Don't be cheap and do the coffee dates thing. Those are so lame and look lazy. Expensive dates at that age should be kept to 1-2x a month. But really...that is not that much. You ate too right? How much do you spend on a night out with yourself/friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Don't be cheap and do the coffee dates thing. Those are so lame and look lazy. Expensive dates at that age should be kept to 1-2x a month. But really...that is not that much. You ate too right? How much do you spend on a night out with yourself/friends?
Coffee dates don't have to be lame... if you are fun and interesting to talk to, you could be sitting in the back of a bus and have a great time.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's just upsetting. You're told all the time to be yourself, but then when you go looking for advice, you're told that you're in the wrong and need to change.
No one here has told you you're wrong or to change. We are giving you more "be yourself" advice. Don't change for someone else. Change if you want because you want to for you. But be whoever you are with the woman you want to date and get to know - and wonder if there's a future. Do NOT do things you wouldn't do just because she wants to. EG. My first husband knew that I was a beach person. I was a lifeguard, had my own boat, lived on the beach during the summers. I wanted and needed to be near the beach. Our first date was a blind date and we went to a lake. We swam - well, I did. He dogpaddled. But insisted he loved the beach. 2nd date was at my family's beach house. He seemed ok with it. We spent the entire weekend with my family - mostly at the water's edge (50' from the house), I took him out in the boat. He asked me out again and again and 90% of those summer dates were at the beach. So, I assumed, he liked beaches. Well, wouldn't you know, soon as we were married, our first argument was about MY spending the day at the beachhouse - with family - while he was going to be away from home. How in Hades should I have figured out he wasn't a beach person. He didn't resent my not being home; he resented WHERE I was: criticized the food, the house, the sand in his food and clothes, the sand in my shoes, the car, the dampness at night, sand in the bed, sun on his head, told me how he always felt like he was eating sandpaper (it was in his head that there was sand in the food). Bottom line: He wasn't honest about who he was. He was phony. He lied.

OP, be yourself. If you like museums, then take her there. If you like art shows, GO. Let her see you. And if you hate beaches but love mountains, let her know. If she hates mountains and loves beaches, stay away from her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
$100?! Good grief, that's too much to spend on a date, especially when you're just getting to know one another. Save the special restaurants for when there's something special.
Um, JJ - where do you go for any dinner at a SPECIAL restaurant for less than $100? Special restaurants around here would easily run $200-300 - and that's NOT with caviar and champagne. Mesa Grill NYC: cheapest entree is $28 (each) and a side is $7, cheapest app is $13 - EACH - that's with nothing to drink and no dessert. If he's doing drinks on top of everything, the MINIMUM he can get away with is $150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Try something different that is less expensive...cook a meal for two instead of going to a restaurant, maybe there are free events in your area, try engaging in mutual hobbies or try a new activity. You can be smart and frugal without being cheap, good luck.
Exactly! My favorite date was spent in a mall and strolling the boardwalk. It was my first date with my husband. What a great way for us to get to know each other - he saw my tastes in clothing, jewelry (not much interested), decor, etc. and I saw his. We talked, we laughed, held hands (both in our 40s and THAT was telling). Then we went to the beach, strolled on the boardwalk. Ate munchies. We laughed, sang to the music and danced on the boardwalk. And THAT is why we are together.

If that's the kind of thing that appeals to you, then take your date on that kind of date. If she doesn't enjoy, she's not for you. Picture yourself with this woman in 10 years. How would you like to spend the day with her? Do THAT as a first date.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Coffee dates don't have to be lame... if you are fun and interesting to talk to, you could be sitting in the back of a bus and have a great time.
Honey...no one is that interesting.

Bus dates? Whats next? Soup kitchen?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
If you're both in reasonable shape, a day of hiking or biking could be fun. Pack sandwiches and maybe hit a an ice cream parlor later in the day. I'm on board with others that the dinner/movie thing is kind of cheesy.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Um, JJ - where do you go for any dinner at a SPECIAL restaurant for less than $100? Special restaurants around here would easily run $200-300 - and that's NOT with caviar and champagne. Mesa Grill NYC: cheapest entree is $28 (each) and a side is $7, cheapest app is $13 - EACH - that's with nothing to drink and no dessert. If he's doing drinks on top of everything, the MINIMUM he can get away with is $150.
NYC is its own animal, Annie. I'm not talking about a fancy schmancy place--I know dinner can cost hundreds of dollars, depending on where you go. There are several nice restaurants around here where two people could eat for less than $100, even with a couple of $8 cocktails and an appetizer or dessert. The trouble is when you order a few cocktails apiece AND appetizers AND soup AND dessert, and unless you are celebrating something as a couple, there's no reason to shell out that kind of money.

You can pack yourselves with sushi, seafood or steak around here for $100 or less, including tip.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,547 times
Quote:
Honey...no one is that interesting.

You're moving too fast for me... I always save the soup kitchen for the 3rd date

Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Quote:
Hey, my best friend met his wife on a bus. I don't take the bus and maybe that's why I'm not married, yet.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Dates where you can interact with one another are better early on. Movies suck for first dates because there's not talking or getting to know you going on. It's two hours wasted.

Try a zoo, museum, aquarium, outdoor festivals now that summer is here, galleries etc. If you're a student you might be eligible for discounts at a lot of these places as well.

You don't need to change who you are, you might need to adjust your expectations a little, but there are plenty of women out there who will go out with you and not expect or demand you spend $100+ on a first date.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
You're moving too fast for me... I always save the soup kitchen for the 3rd date

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh you little tart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships