Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times

Advertisements

If you're in NYC I would recommend Carmine's as a nice place to eat for under $100. They serve family sized portions, so one order is split between two people, and dinner for two with beverages can be had for $60 right in Times Square. If you like Asian food go down to 32nd St. plenty of Korean, Thai, and Chinese places that aren't too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:06 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
This is exactly why my first dates are typically lunch or coffee dates.... Worst case scenario you're out $30. If the women you're trying to date are so superficial that they think you owe them a fancy dinner and drinks then you don't need them anyway. They'll simply suck your wallet dry...

Like others have said... Quit trying so damn hard. Every woman I've ever dated that was worth my time just kind of happened. All the girls I tried to pick up, or tried to date were useless in the long run.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit....even hookers get more than 30.....at least the ones with teeth.

Damn cheapies!

Don't call a female superficial because you are too prideful to say you are broke/poor to handle what they like.

Thats like a fat chick saying you can't handle a "real woman" if you don't like them thick.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
We went out to dinner the first one, and it lasted like 5 hours. We talked the whole time. It ended well....

We went out a second time and just walked around the city for a few hours, went to a bar for a bit.
Which city? Richmond or D.C?

If it's D.C. there is really no reason to be spending as much as you are on the first few dates: The Smithsonian is free. Buy her an ice cream on the way out to enjoy as you're walking down the Mall, and if you feel ambitious, go get a cold, slurpee kind of drink like a frozen margarita at one of the restaurants on Pennsylvania Avenue.

It's grossly hot out right now, but if there's a cool day, an hour on a two-person paddle boat at the Tidal Basin will run you $12. Get pretzels and sodas afterwards, there's a date for $20.

You can get seats to see the Nationals for as low as $10--tell her you had a friend dump nosebleeds in your lap when he had a scheduling conflict if you're paranoid of looking cheap--throw in a couple of beers and a shared bag of peanuts and you're looking at a little more than $30.

I don't know much about Richmond, but surely there are mini-golf courses near there. I'm on Long Island, where everything tends to be more expensive, and yesterday afternoon I played hookey and my SO and I played 18 holes for $15 for both of us. That is such a cute, fun date that if you got a slice of pizza afterward, it would just fit the theme.

Virginia has wineries. Go to Linden. They actually have a decent white, and if memory serves me correctly, they sell bread and cheese and you can sit out on the terrace and enjoy. Or maybe that was Oasis. I forget.

Also, regardless of the city, it's festival season. Be on the lookout for things like chili cook-offs, ethnic festivals, and free concerts in parks. You can pack a cooler with a picnic and some sparkling cider (blasted container laws, or you could get a split of sparkling wine for $12). If you're feeling romantic, spend the $10 ahead of time and make some hand-dipped chocolate strawberries to surprise her with.

Go to a local wildlife preserve and feed wild birds by hand. It will cost you the price of bird seed and maybe a parking fee. That was how my SO kicked off our first date, and that was nearly 5 years ago.

Really, you just need to be creative when you date. I suspect that if you are just going out to dinner and taking walks, your dates may find you a bit "typical." Plus, you are young. If you are creative now, a good woman--a smart woman--will recognize and appreciate that right off the top.

She'll also wonder what else you're creative with.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Don't be cheap and do the coffee dates thing. Those are so lame and look lazy.
I couldn't disagree more. The coffee date isn't about being cheap or lame, it's about good conversation and interaction. Regardless of how I met my date, I like to get together for coffee. We always have a great conversation and it's never over quickly (because we're both having fun). Even if there's no physical chemistry, it can still be a lot of fun. BTW, I've never been turned down for a second date after an afternoon of coffee and entertaining conversation

As far as saving money, here's what I like to do:

-1st dates are usually coffee (~10 bucks).
-2nd date I like to do happy hour at a nicer bar/pub with a couple rounds of drinks and a few small plates. Afterwards do something fun to take the pressure off of the conversation. I personally like the aquarium or something else fun and interactive. Most places like that have discounted admission once a week. (~40 bucks for the whole afternoon/evening)
-3rd date: if all went well on your first two dates, invite her over and make her dinner. Make something "fancy" but simple. Eat by candle light and watch a movie or play a board game afterward. The goal is to do something low-key that helps both of you get to know each other even better. (~20 bucks)

After those first 3 dates you'll usually know whether you want to pursue things further. If so then that's great. If not, then you didn't pay an arm and a leg, and you'll surely have some memories.

That coffee date will really test your conversational skill, so become a good conversationalist (talking AND listening). If you can have a fun conversation, women that are worth pursuing wouldn't care if you spent $1 or $1000. You could sit on a park bench all afternoon and still have a great time.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. The coffee date isn't about being cheap or lame, it's about good conversation and interaction. Regardless of how I met my date, I like to get together for coffee. We always have a great conversation and it's never over quickly (because we're both having fun). Even if there's no physical chemistry, it can still be a lot of fun. BTW, I've never been turned down for a second date after an afternoon of coffee and entertaining conversation

As far as saving money, here's what I like to do:

-1st dates are usually coffee (~10 bucks).
-2nd date I like to do happy hour at a nicer bar/pub with a couple rounds of drinks and a few small plates. Afterwards do something fun to take the pressure off of the conversation. I personally like the aquarium or something else fun and interactive. Most places like that have discounted admission once a week. (~40 bucks for the whole afternoon/evening)
-3rd date: if all went well on your first two dates, invite her over and make her dinner. Make something "fancy" but simple. Eat by candle light and watch a movie or play a board game afterward. The goal is to do something low-key that helps both of you get to know each other even better. (~20 bucks)

After those first 3 dates you'll usually know whether you want to pursue things further. If so then that's great. If not, then you didn't pay an arm and a leg, and you'll surely have some memories.

That coffee date will really test your conversational skill, so become a good conversationalist (talking AND listening). If you can have a fun conversation, women that are worth pursuing wouldn't care if you spent $1 or $1000. You could sit on a park bench all afternoon and still have a great time.
This is really good advice.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

Um, JJ - where do you go for any dinner at a SPECIAL restaurant for less than $100? Special restaurants around here would easily run $200-300 - and that's NOT with caviar and champagne. Mesa Grill NYC: cheapest entree is $28 (each) and a side is $7, cheapest app is $13 - EACH - that's with nothing to drink and no dessert. If he's doing drinks on top of everything, the MINIMUM he can get away with is $150.

Umm..Mesa Grill is not exactly an average restaurant in NYC - you could find another one that served good food without the Flay label. You must be into spicy food - it is a good restaurant.

I like your museum suggestion. How about going to a street fair or rowing in Central Park lake? There are tons of things to do in a large metropolitan area that does not have to cost an arm, leg or retirement fund to do.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
If you think about the costs of things, dropping a $100 buck is easy to do. Even a dinner at a chain restaurant can set you back $40-50 bucks. Add in drinks (which are WAY overpriced at restaurants) and you've easily dropped another $20-30. Then on to a movie, another $20 without snacks.

You can have a nice date without spending so much money. Besides dinner, movie...has become so cliche. Mix it up and try some interesting things that are wallet friendly for you and will result in an all around enjoyable date.

It's going to cost to date. period. However, you are in control of how much you choose to spend. Good luck.
You speak the truth baby girl How you think I got you?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit....even hookers get more than 30.....at least the ones with teeth.

Damn cheapies!

Don't call a female superficial because you are too prideful to say you are broke/poor to handle what they like.

Thats like a fat chick saying you can't handle a "real woman" if you don't like them thick.
Cheapies, Ha! It's more like we are onto the games that some of the opposite sex love to play. At the risk of being flamed on here - it's the truth. If you can't handle the truth - get out of the kitchen.

Most of the best first dates were inexpensive. Worse first dates were "dinner traps"

Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
As a guy, spending a lot or not when it comes to going out is just a thing you will have to accept when it comes to dating, relationships, etc. It’s just the way things seem to go in the west instead of having a girl take you out, spend on you, see her get creative to romance you, etc. Try not to think too much on how much was or was not spent on the date but instead on how much you guys enjoyed spending time with each other or you’ll lose the idea of the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships