Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times

Advertisements

I recently started communicating with a new guy on a dating site. He called me and we had a great conversation. I felt the "telephone sparks" which is a good thing. So anyways, using the information that I gathered during our phone call, I then went into full stalker mode and looked him up on every site I could think of just to do an informal background check for safety reasons in case we ever decide to meet in person. Anyways, I found out his last name, home address, place of work, personal website, public records, a couple of photos, etc. During my research, I also found out that he's about 6 or 7 years older than he claims to be on his dating profile. I didn't ask his age when we spoke on the phone so he didn't directly lie to me about it, but he has to realize that the age on his profile is way off. He's claiming to be 3 years older than me when he's really closer to 10 years older. I have lied about my age in the past on dating sites (I'm not currently lying about anything), so this isn't automatically a dealbreaker, but it does make me wonder what else he might be lying about. I'm also a bit worried that he didn't put any clear, recent pictures on his profile, but I found some that appeared to be somewhat recent during my research and you can clearly see that he's older than what he claims to be.

So, is it my fault for being a stalker or is it his fault for lying? Should I just ask him how old he is to see what he says? Maybe he has an explanation for lying about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
He's a liar and you have no respect for someone's privacy.

Sounds like a perfect match.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Eh, I think it's pretty normal to Google online dates when you're a female. It's not like I hired a private investigator. I have to look out for myself here.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,142 times
fyi...I dunno what "public records" you looked at but the online ones like peoplefinder.com, intelius.com, etc all have my age wrong bye 6 yrs

that being said he could actually be lying as well...you could always ask some roundabout questions like HS/college grad class yr etc. and then do the math

Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

No respect for someone's privacy? Sorry but if your information is out there online, its fair game. Its not as if she had a private investigator staking this guy out in front of his house.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
No respect for someone's privacy? Sorry but if your information is out there online, its fair game.
Absolutely! And yes, the age is often wrong. So is mine.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I have lied about my age in the past on dating sites (I'm not currently lying about anything), so this isn't automatically a dealbreaker, but it does make me wonder what else he might be lying about.
But couldn't the same be said for you? If you were doing it yourself, then why not cut him a break?

Personally I don't get the point of lying on a dating site - if someone would reject you for being 7 years older, then isn't it better to have them weed you out at the start, rather than reject you in person? Same thing with posting fuzzy photos - or old photos - the whole point is to eventually meet in person, so why would anyone try to mislead a potential date about what they look like? The last thing I'd want is to be rejected in person because I was older, or less attractive than someone expected. That would SUCK!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
fyi...I dunno what "public records" you looked at but the online ones like peoplefinder.com, intelius.com, etc all have my age wrong bye 6 yrs

that being said he could actually be lying as well...you could always ask some roundabout questions like HS/college grad class yr etc. and then do the math
I found his high school class year (8 years before mine) and an article mentioning how old he was during a certain year, and I was 9 years younger than him in that year. So there's no way he can only be 3 years older than me like he alleges.

Quote:
But couldn't the same be said for you? If you were doing it yourself, then why not cut him a break?
I am cutting him a break since I did it myself, but I'm just on guard now.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Same thing with posting fuzzy photos - or old photos - the whole point is to eventually meet in person, so why would anyone try to mislead a potential date about what they look like?
Beats me! They probably think they'll be so charming in person that the other person will cut them some slack in this department whereas otherwise he/she wouldn't give them a chance at all.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
He probably put a younger age to catch, I mean, meet, younger women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships