Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 PM

10 posts, read 45,709 times

Advertisements

Background:
I'm a divorced mother of two and I've been dating my current boyfriend for about seven months now. He's 24 and I'm 27. Yes, the age disparity is huge (at least in my opinion). He pursued me relentlessly despite the fact that I'm a divorcee with children (I had reservations about dating someone younger than me because I have children). My ex-husband had primary custody of my sons throughout most of our relationship, however, this will be changing in the fall.

The Dilemma:

My boyfriend is worried what the change in custody will mean for our relationship and he is having second thoughts about whether he can handle dating a single mother.

My Thoughts:

I'm very upset that he waited until this point in our relationship to decide that he might not be on board. He was aware that I wanted my sons primarily and that the probability of this happening was very high. There were several points in our relationship where I've explicitly asked him whether he was okay with "my baggage". I'm regretting getting emotionally involved with someone his age despite my strong feelings for him. His indecisiveness is unsettling for me (to say the least) on one hand but I can't help but think that my anger might be unjustified. Perhaps that his desire to reassess our relationship is normal and that I should give him time to sort out his feelings. But on the other hand, I feel that if he truly loves me as much as he claims to, he should have made up his mind long ago. What should I do, people of the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,526 times
I would tell your boyfriend that you agree with him. You agree that he can't handle dating a single mother. Tell him goodbye and good luck and thanks for the memories.

I wouldn't blame him too much for not having a lot of self awareness in the beginning of the relationship. Maybe at the time, he thought he could handle it but now he realizes that he can't. Better to find out now.

ETA: I'm sorry your heart is hurting.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartsntorts View Post
Background:
I'm a divorced mother of two and I've been dating my current boyfriend for about seven months now. He's 24 and I'm 27. Yes, the age disparity is huge (at least in my opinion). He pursued me relentlessly despite the fact that I'm a divorcee with children (I had reservations about dating someone younger than me because I have children). My ex-husband had primary custody of my sons throughout most of our relationship, however, this will be changing in the fall.

The Dilemma:
My boyfriend is worried what the change in custody will mean for our relationship and he is having second thoughts about whether he can handle dating a single mother.

My Thoughts:
I'm very upset that he waited until this point in our relationship to decide that he might not be on board. He was aware that I wanted my sons primarily and that the probability of this happening was very high. There were several points in our relationship where I've explicitly asked him whether he was okay with "my baggage". I'm regretting getting emotionally involved with someone his age despite my strong feelings for him. His indecisiveness is unsettling for me (to say the least) on one hand but I can't help but think that my anger might be unjustified. Perhaps that his desire to reassess our relationship is normal and that I should give him time to sort out his feelings. But on the other hand, I feel that if he truly loves me as much as he claims to, he should have made up his mind long ago. What should I do, people of the internet?

24 to 27 is NOT "huge"

What IS huge is the fact that you are a parent and he is not.

Let him go and concentrate on your young children. There is plenty of time for dating later down the line - be a mom for now.

You are hurting, and I'm sorry for that, but he is doing the right thing for himself - now go do the same for yourself and your kids.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM

530 posts, read 779,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I would tell your boyfriend that you agree with him. You agree that he can't handle dating a single mother. Tell him goodbye and good luck and thanks for the memories.

I wouldn't blame him too much for not having a lot of self awareness in the beginning of the relationship. Maybe at the time, he thought he could handle it but now he realizes that he can't. Better to find out now.

ETA: I'm sorry your heart is hurting.
From the "people of the internet" you will be receiving both "pearls of wisdom" and "snippets of wisdom".

I do believe boodhabunny has passed on to you a pearl. Just a small one though, but a good one.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 PM

10 posts, read 45,709 times
So everyone is in agreement that his indecision is enough to give him the boot? If he decides that he's okay with my single motherdom, I should still walk away?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
So everyone is in agreement that his indecision is enough to give him the boot? If he decides that he's okay with my single motherdom, I should still walk away?
He's awfully young to be taking on a single mom and her kids. Some guys would be up to it, but most would not.

He is having reservations and is not enthusiastic about this, so in the best interests of your children I'd let him go.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,796 times
Default age difference huge??

Quote:
Background:

The Dilemma:

My Thoughts:
first the age difference is not bad at all (my ex was 7 years younger)... age depends on maturity but this change in attitude with the children just won't work... I'm sure the number one thing in your life are your children so just tell him... you accept my children because if you reject them... you are rejecting me... after all they are an extention of you... say "bye bye" or ask yourself who is the most important thing in your life?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
24 to 27 is NOT "huge"

What IS huge is the fact that you are a parent and he is not.

Let him go and concentrate on your young children. There is plenty of time for dating later down the line - be a mom for now.

You are hurting, and I'm sorry for that, but he is doing the right thing for himself - now go do the same for yourself and your kids.
I just counted three fat fingers of mine and you're telling me it's not huge

Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,327 times
An age difference of three years is huge only in your mind, really, as you come to realize later in your life, three years is nothing. A person's maturity, rather than age, is what makes a difference. The OP said "I'm very upset that he waited until this point in our relationship to decide that he might not be on board". You have a short 7 month relationship and you think he should have made a very important decision much sooner? I suspect he didn't really know just what to expect, taking on the responsibility of two children is no small thing. Especially when it is two step children. I think having a long talk and letting him know that you understand if he chooses to leave, would be the best course of action. If you love him as much as you profess you are also concerned with his feelings, not just your own. If he is smart, he will find someone else.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
He's awfully young to be taking on a single mom and her kids. Some guys would be up to it, but most would not.

He is having reservations and is not enthusiastic about this, so in the best interests of your children I'd let him go.
Agreed 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships