Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,552,613 times

Advertisements

Being politically correct is sort of like having manners.

Practicing it keeps you form being hit in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Um, no. I can tell you all day long I want you to use different words. That's not censorship. You don't have to obey- I have no power to, for example, put you in jail if you continue using language I find objectionable. Someone objecting to your speech and asking that you change isn't censorship, as they have no power to punish you for disobeying.

Free speech is written into the 1st amendment, right? Well, the 1st amendment states that the GOVERNMENT cannot make LAWS controlling speech, thus guaranteeing you 'free speech'. It means you can't be punished for speaking your opinions. That's so very important, and such a wonderful thing to have.

The 1st amendment though, has nothing to do with individuals. Again, you do get to tell me I'm wrong, and I get to tell you you're wrong. I can even tell you I find your speech objectionable and you should change it. But I have no authority to actually enforce this.

Let's say I owned these forums. I could put any standards I want into place- including banning the use of certain words. If you did use them, I could suspend your account. Even that's not censorship. As an individual, I can set standards over the areas I control. If I decided you can't use the word 'blue' in my house, well- guess what, you better not be using the word 'blue' or I'm kicking you out.

The problem here is that you seem to be under the assumption that you get to say whatever you want, and no one else can respond or else they're interfering with your 'free speech' and 'censoring' you. It just simply doesn't work that way. Yes, you get to tell me I'm wrong for saying you're wrong- that was my entire point. We can go round like that forever, and neither of us will ever be censoring the other.
This forum uses censorship. Words are censored often here. It has nothing to do with the 1st amendment. Censorship is usually not illegal.

Right or wrong, below is a form of censorship, taken from the Mississippi thread....

''Oh my gosh dude, I'm not talking about racism, of course that's not good [MOD CUT] ''

Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
2. See a young black kid with saggy pants and head phones and think he is a thug?
The last time I saw someone of this description on the subway he followed off half way home and robbed me. During that robbery another black guy tried to defend me and got punched me in the face.

Stereo types exist for a reason. And if you ask me 1% of people give the other 99% a bad rap. Do I "hate" black people because of this event? Of course not. Will I cross the street if I see the person you described? You bet.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:19 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,879,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. I would say blind, deaf, black, asian, dwarf...

That whole pc double-speak 'blah-blah-challenged' is condescending and ridiculous.

And african-american? Asian-american? How about we're all just americans?
AA is a major pet peeve for me...if you are black and your family has lived here for 300 + years, how the hell are you African and NOT american? African Americans are People who were born in Africa and now live in the States, even their offspring are AMERICAN not AFRICAN..just my opinion though

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The last time I saw someone of this description on the subway he followed off half way home and robbed me. During that robbery another black guy tried to defend me and got punched me in the face.

Stereo types exist for a reason. And if you ask me 1% of people give the other 99% a bad rap. Do I "hate" black people because of this event? Of course not. Will I cross the street if I see the person you described? You bet.

The saggy pants clan is very ignorant.

The sagging of the pants comes from Prison culture where they don't have belts.

I look at them with disdain. Not because they sag. But, last Sunday when I was shopping they blocked the street in the shopping mall I was at in a pack of 5-7. They walked slow in the street when this mall has sidewalks everywhere. And they walked very slow. And traffic was coming.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
AA is a major pet peeve for me...if you are black and your family has lived here for 300 + years, how the hell are you African and NOT american? African Americans are People who were born in Africa and now live in the States, even their offspring are AMERICAN not AFRICAN..just my opinion though

Discrimination, large differences in who gets hired even with similar education, treatment, and other things.

And a guy just had to use the N-word in my presence just last month.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammadon View Post
PC for much of the time is airy fairy and excessive. It also undermines proper freedom of expression.

That said, in principle I agree with it.
You're free to express anything you like, yes, even your hatred.
You will suffer the consequences of your actions/words.

So sorry that being polite is seen as PC.

Express your bigotry all you like; no one is stopping you.
What is "proper freedom of expression"?
If people don't like your contempt for others, are they not free to express that?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,175,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammadon View Post
Can we control what we or others think?
One can never control the thoughts of actions of others, c'mon this is common sense...can we control our own thoughts? Ummmm, I should hope so THEY ARE OUR THOUGHTS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Being politically correct is sort of like having manners.

Practicing it keeps you form being hit in the face.
LOL...I like this explanation best...

Quote:

You are exactly right, stere-types exist for a reason, I am not going to get into ALL the stereo-types that exist in our society but I will say this, fear gets you nowhere and it is this very fear that causes racism, hate crimes and gets us nowhere...THIS very well could have a been a white guy...However if crossing the street makes you feel safe? More power to you..

Being PC means that some in our society have attempted to reach cultural competency, understanding that certain terms are hurtful and just plain ignorant...I agree they change rapidly and sometimes it is hard to keep up with the new "key terms"

I.E.
I was part of the MANDT training last month and I also belong to the LGBTQ Coalition..And when my friend gave a presentation she stated that the term "*****" is considered PC again, I stated out of shock, "Are you serious? *****? Is that not an term used during the 70's and considered deragoratory? She stated it was but they adapted the term again in order to take the power away from it...
I stated to her that I did not feel comfortable using this term because I would be offended if I was a lesbian...

And she stated something that I believe to explain it best regarding ALL PC terms..."If you are unsure of how to state it or call something or someone? Simple..ask..

What happened to being respectful and understanding? Un****enbelievable!
With that stated, to those whom actually have manners and care, keep on doing what your doing, change happens one person at a time..

Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:

So I guess, by your statement that stereotypes exist for a reason, that you believe that all women are gold diggers and if they have sex outside of marriage, then they are all w*****.

Bigotry, not the actions of 1% of a population make stereotypes. And not everyone buys into stereotypes.

In your case, if you were concerned, why didn't you find a place that was safe? Like a store or public place?
Street smarts go a long way.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So I guess, by your statement that stereotypes exist for a reason, that you believe that all women are gold diggers and if they have sex outside of marriage, then they are all w*****.

Bigotry, not the actions of 1% of a population make stereotypes. And not everyone buys into stereotypes.

In your case, if you were concerned, why didn't you find a place that was safe? Like a store or public place?
Street smarts go a long way.

That is not what she was saying at all.

BTW, the saggy pants clan tends to spread out to other places once they mess up one place. No place is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy