Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,695,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I don't live with my boyfriend but he stays with me often enough that I already know what I'd be faced with. I even joked one day when he didn't put the toilet seat down "hey thanks for putting the toilet seat down!" and he ran to the bathroom to put it down but it didn't stick. I'm not going to nag, that's pointless. This is a drastic change for me since my ex not only paid for everything, but when he stayed over, he would make my bed and clean up after himself without me asking! That and I'm not going to live with someone I'm not even engaged to. Maybe I'm weird in finding that disrespectful but it is, to me. also, its not really a blue collar thing. Most white collar guys here are also traditional and always pay for the woman or get creative about dates if they can't afford it. they would rather get creative than make a woman pay. that, and its not like I never pay for anything. I'm not some kind of princess. If I'm out and am getting things for us to eat or do, since I'm not with him, I pay, even on my low income and I don't ask for money to cover it. I just call it my treat and my way of being respectful to his efforts. Also, its not a conservative vs. liberal thing. I've seen guys in California (where its supposedly super liberal) pay for their dates/female friends (although I don't see paying for female friends as really necessary) all the time! This whole, guys pay some of the time thing, is a completely new world to me! I've never seen it in real life until I met my boyfriend.
So you are just used to hanging around people on the more "traditional" side. There are probably some liberals in Texas if you look hard enough. Also this is more of an american thing most other countries are either similar or don't care. I mean if want to blame anyone blame the Dutch they don't seem to mind or make a fuss about it.

If you are used to the whole guy pay for everything with the exception of your boyfriend that's cool I have only seen it a couple of times, along with dutch, or she pays and whatever works. Like with what Freedom was saying it "should" be to where individual people do what works for them. I mean if you can show your appreciation by buying stuff for your guy when he is not around whats wrong with a women who doesn't mind buying something for her guy while she's with him? I mean I would feel bad if my lady wanted to treat me and puffed my chest out trying be all "manly". I would just accept the offer and enjoy the time we have with each other. So I guess we are each others Twilight Zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 5,308 times
It's VERY SIMPLE.

If the girl is under 28, pay for her.

If she is over 28, she would be literally out of her mind to demand ANY PAYMENT. As if a woman over 28 is higher in demand than her younger superior counterparts who will be hotter for a longer amount of time.

IT'S VERY SIMPLE.

All relationships are based on a supply & demand transaction. If this balance is breached, even seemingly strong relationships will break apart (if he loses his job or is cheap with money, or if she withtholds sex or if she doesnt' work on her appearance).

So in a situation about paying, think about supply & demand. If she has many options, pay for her to retain her interest. If she is old/unattractive with no options to raise her leverage, don't pay at all. This whole business of paying for dates is nothing more than an appraisal on her value (she has more before 28, and men have more after 28).

Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,695,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbreakableTruth View Post
It's VERY SIMPLE.

If she is over 28, she would be literally out of her mind to demand ANY PAYMENT. As if a woman over 28 is higher in demand than her younger superior counterparts who will be hotter for a longer amount of time.

IT'S VERY SIMPLE.

All relationships are based on a supply & demand transaction. If this balance is breached, even seemingly strong relationships will break apart (if he loses his job or is cheap with money, or if she withtholds sex or if she doesnt' work on her appearance).

So in a situation about paying, think about supply & demand. If she has many options, pay for her to retain her interest. If she is old/unattractive with no options to raise her leverage, don't pay at all. This whole business of paying for dates is nothing more than an appraisal on her value (she has more before 28, and men have more after 28).
No wonder I suck and don't understand relationships it all stems from my failure to grasp basic economics should of paid attention in my high school class.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,656,904 times
Quote:
It's VERY SIMPLE.

IT'S VERY SIMPLE.

Damn, I'm 29...just over the threshold of being ugly and with no options.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 5,308 times
Economics is the main thread undergirding this whole process.

If she were ugly, her views on dating would be vastly different than a hot supermodel with a tight dress knowing that thousands of guys would approach her.

Nothing to do with "tradition" or "manners" or "Victorian Chivalry".

All with what men and women CAN GET AWAY WITH.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,680,802 times
Quote:
It's VERY SIMPLE.

I can't tell if you're borderline insane or just trolling hard. Age doesn't determine whether somebody is attractive. Everything else you posted is complete nonsense

Here is a 35 year old with the most beautiful figure I've ever seen - http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img...xhEMZYIVve.jpg

Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Just ended a "relationship" with a girl who ended it by texting me saying she needs a guy who pays for things the majority of the time. Keep in mind I paid for the first 4 dates, a weekend trip to the beach for two and this past weekend she paid for waffle house and then we split a meal at panera bread. a few hours later after panera she texts me saying she needs a guy who pays for the majority of the dates. i didn't realize that her paying for waffle house was too much for her haha. i'm a teacher and make a king's ransom obviously ;-). i also drove us everywhere and would buy her random things like cigarettes, wine, even cooked meals at her place i bought everything from the grocery store.

so ladies how long into a dating do you start paying?
If you are going to base all your dates on what you pay vs. what she pays, you are going to be a very lonely man.....I can see her cooking for you now and then.....taking care of your laundry, but most women expect that man to pay on dates......I guess I am old-fashioned.

There is nothing worse than a cheap, stingy man............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships