Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,694,158 times

Advertisements

sometimes i think that movies and books and tv shows give me this unrealistic expectation in men.. it makes men seem deep and brooding and caring and multi-faceted and i have never met a guy like that or even close....
or do guys like this exist and i just dont meet them or should i just have no expectations at all...?

this is not a stab at guys, i love guys... i'm just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,225,886 times
Those who appear to be similar are probably the ones you're better off staying away from...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,652,110 times
Maybe women without common sense, but other than that, most realize that men are nothing like they are in films like twilight. And that's ok. I don't want an Edward Cullen. Based on what I heard about his character (haven't read the book or seen the film) he sounds manipulative and controlling.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,694,158 times
yea i wasn't talking about vampire fiction about unhuman men i was talking about regular movies with human men...

Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,834,875 times
You are right, but I don't know why you seem surprised. It's the same for Hollywood's treatment of women. What people keep forgetting is that pretty much everything Hollywood does is exaggerated, amplified, or otherwise stereotyped.

That's not a bad thing, because otherwise who would watch a cop show that details the hour after hour of boredom, paperwork, etc. that happens in the typical 20 year career, with maybe 2 events that call for blood on the pavement, flashing lights, and hot babes wearing stilettos.

Hollyowood is entertainment, not reality. Even Reality Shows have Producers, Directors, Lighting Coordinators, Hosts, etc, etc, etc, etc. It's just the video version of romance novels and Clive Cussler adventure novels, which are pretty much never taken as factual depictions, eh? But still entertaining.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
Personally from what I have witnessed all these crap TV shows, books, magazines and movies have totally fried women's brains into completely unrealistic expectations of relationships, life and especially $$$.

And I think it plays a key role in most women being unhappy. They see or hear all these other things and expect the same.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM

30,905 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
sometimes i think that movies and books and tv shows give me this unrealistic expectation in men.. it makes men seem deep and brooding and caring and multi-faceted and i have never met a guy like that or even close....
or do guys like this exist and i just dont meet them or should i just have no expectations at all...?

Movies & TV shows give people unrealistic expectations of realtionships. Period. Too much emphasis on the idea that being in love is enough. It isn't. It's a great starting point, but is never enough all by itself.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,862,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Personally from what I have witnessed all these crap TV shows, books, magazines and movies have totally fried women's brains into completely unrealistic expectations of relationships, life and especially $$$.

And I think it plays a key role in most women being unhappy. They see or hear all these other things and expect the same.
There is an element of truth in that. Contrary to what was said above however, I don't think that this applies to men. The main problem men have is that they try to be logical with women and most women find this both boring and somewhat frightening. This may explain why they often characterize nice guys as some sort of psycho. Experienced womanizers spin a line of BS that is carefully designed to be what women want to hear.

Anyhow, I was visiting a friend last month and she rented 5 movies for the next week. We were supposed to go out and do some things the next day but when she got a migraine, she was bed ridden. Not wanting to go off and leave her alone, I watched these films. Every one was what one would characterize as a "chick flick", something a date hadn't dragged me to in a long time. They were even more unbelievable than I recall and I was dragged to Ishtar a long time ago so I know how bad a film can be!

The guys portrayed were absolutely unbelievable. Cardboard figures. The plots were amusing because they were so completely unbelievable. The women portrayed could be completely unrealistic and still land these chumps in the end. Whew. After a day of this, I actually thought that I could write these screen plays. They are all basically the same!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
There is an element of truth in that. Contrary to what was said above however, I don't think that this applies to men. The main problem men have is that they try to be logical with women and most women find this both boring and somewhat frightening. This may explain why they often characterize nice guys as some sort of psycho. Experienced womanizers spin a line of BS that is carefully designed to be what women want to hear.

Anyhow, I was visiting a friend last month and she rented 5 movies for the next week. We were supposed to go out and do some things the next day but when she got a migraine, she was bed ridden. Not wanting to go off and leave her alone, I watched these films. Every one was what one would characterize as a "chick flick", something a date hadn't dragged me to in a long time. They were even more unbelievable than I recall and I was dragged to Ishtar a long time ago so I know how bad a film can be!

The guys portrayed were absolutely unbelievable. Cardboard figures. The plots were amusing because they were so completely unbelievable. The women portrayed could be completely unrealistic and still land these chumps in the end. Whew. After a day of this, I actually thought that I could write these screen plays. They are all basically the same!
Of what I have seen it is usually some 40 something actor(whoever is considered the hot property at the moment) that portrays a 30 something single male:

1. who has an extremely high paid job or business he is almost never at, and on his rare visits gets nagged by either some old battleaxe or nerdy weird girl secretary
2. who has a very cool car, maybe a classic sportscar or convertible, that he parks anywhere without abandon and hops over the door
3. who has some incredible loft in the city
4. who is portrayed as being in the "friendzone" of the main woman character
5. who has an ex girlfriend that is the stereotypical bimbo or biatch
6. who then at some point comes to his senses and hooks up with the main female character.

The main female character of course is some trendy girl with all the latest fashion, a high paying or business job which she is rarely at and is probably engaged to some guy portrayed as a jackass or total doofus. Which of course she has to come to her senses and realize friendzone man is for her.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,909,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post

They exist. I'm not sure I'd call my husband brooding but he is definitely deep, caring and multifaceted.

What bothers me about movies and TV is the way women are portrayed, not men. The way supposedly strong, independent, modern women are walked all over by men but still go running back to them. Carrie in Sex and the City for example... I only watched it now and then but how many times did "Big" break her heart? And yet she kept going back to him because she thought he's "the one". And then they do eventually end up together for good. What is that teaching women? That if you have no self respect or dignity and allow a man to hurt you again and again, if you keep going back to him, you WILL eventually wind up together forever. And this is supposed to be a show about modern, liberated feminists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships