Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Like you, my husband took care of himself before me. Like you, he just does what needs to be done as do I - except for the laundry: he LIKES to do it and requested that I leave it to him. But the point is that I don't have to ask him to help, he sees a need and takes care of it; when I'm sick or extremely busy, things get done. Neither of us is keeping score, we just share the responsibility.

Same with us. My wife knits as a hobby, but anytime she is engrossed in the middle of a sweater or something, she wouldn't eat for days unless the food is placed in front of her. So, I just simply leave her be and cook for myself or for both of us. I did my own laundry before but I don't do that anymore because she has her own way and I wouldn't want to mess it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
I have a schedule that I follow for each day of the week...makes it easy to keep the house "company clean" everyday and for the most part I'm only doing about 2-3 hours of chores. Most of the times I start them before the kids are up and then have only an hour or so left after they've gone off to school.

It looks like a lot but when you maintain the schedule it doesn't get that messy.

Daily Tasks
Vacuum
Laundry
Pick up clutter
Clean glass front door
Dishes
Make beds
Errands

Monday
-Family room (dust surfaces, wash floor, wipe down leather couch, windows, dust ceiling fan)
-Child #1 room (wash floor, dust surfaces, clean ceiling fan, windows, organize closet/dresser)
-Child #1 Laundry day
-Grocery Shop

Tuesday
-Dining room (dust china cabinet, clean fixtures, windows)
-Child #2 room (wash floor, dust surfaces, clean ceiling fan, windows, organize closet/dresser)
-Child #2 Laundry day
-Doggie Bath Day

Wednesday
-Kids bathroom (sinks, counters, light fixtures, tub, toilet, organize vanity, mirror, change out hand towels, wash rugs)
-Child #3 and #4 room (wash floor, dust surfaces, clean ceiling fan, windows, organize closet/dresser)
-Mom's Laundry day

Thursday
-3rd floor (vacuum, fixtures, organize toys, windows, dust)
-Half bath (sinks, counters, toilet, mirror, light fixtures, change out hand towels, wash rugs)
-Take out all trash, pull cans to the curb at night (he typically does this chore!)
-Dad's Laundry Day

Friday
-Laundry room and Linen Closet (Wipe down machines, organize shelves and take inventory ...we store a lot of toiletries/paper goods in here, Put away any hanging clothing, collect hangers from closets for new week, straighten up linen closet)
-Linen Laundry Day (hand towels, kitchen towels, rugs, tableclothes..etc)

Saturday
-Kitchen and Sunroom (counters, clean oven, clean microwave, clean out fridge, organize pantry and take inventory, wash floors, wipe down cabinets, wipe down table and chairs, windows, light fixtures)
-Make weekly menu and grocery list
-Child #3 Laundry Day

Sunday
-Master bed and bath (dust, change sheets, clean windows, clean fixtures, sinks, toilet, tub, shower, mirrors, floors, organize closet, organize vanity)
-Clean out car
-Child #4 Laundry Day

Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
Nicely done, justthe6ofus. I like your list but noticed that it didn't include time spent on cooking/meals. If you include meal preparation/clean up to your daily tasks, how much extra time would it add to the 2-3 hours you spend?

Do your children do any of the chores? Your husband?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to fit everything in that I want to do every day. I meditate each morning (about 20 minutes) before I rise, and I usually end my work day with an hour long bike ride. But I'm trying to figure out how to make time for weight resistance training at a nearby gym.

I think I'll need to get up at 5:00 am to fit it in. I'm not very good at early morning stuff but I don't see any other way.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:33 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
You guys, this thread alone sounds like too much work.
We don't have a schedule in the way we do things. I work full-time, my husband doesn't. On the days he is home, he takes care of dinner, picking up our son from school, and maintaining the house. On the days I'm off, I'm the one doing house chores and cleaning. I do laundry few times a week and I do one major cleaning of the whole house once a week, on a weekend. We don't have particular schedule and do it as we go.

By the way, boodhabunny, I give you a lot of credit for trying to get up at 5 am. I value and love my sleep so much. I cannot give up my sleep for anything.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:40 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
I'm not married/in a committed relationship, am not living with a girlfriend or anything, but if I were I think it would be fair to evenly split the housework. Once I get my career started I'm looking at working extremely long hours two or three days of the week- the rest of the week would be mine, and I would be fine with doing housework and stuff during the day so that my girlfriend/wife has more time to spend with me when she gets home.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You guys, this thread alone sounds like too much work.
We don't have a schedule in the way we do things. I work full-time, my husband doesn't. On the days he is home, he takes care of dinner, picking up our son from school, and maintaining the house. On the days I'm off, I'm the one doing house chores and cleaning. I do laundry few times a week and I do one major cleaning of the whole house once a week, on a weekend. We don't have particular schedule and do it as we go.

By the way, boodhabunny, I give you a lot of credit for trying to get up at 5 am. I value and love my sleep so much. I cannot give up my sleep for anything.
Thanks max's mama. Don't give me any credit for being an early riser yet. I have good intentions but I haven't done anything but talk about it thus far.

Your flexible schedule sounds workable. I just happen to work more efficiently with a list in hand.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
I sorta do the whole house sweep while walking around with coffee. I do it all unless sick. I even started taking out the trash after he had an issue where he could not lift heavy stuff...lol
Daily:
- Wipe and mop the whole kitchen down
- same with bathroom
- change trashes
- laundry at random if needed
- bedding change
- pack lunch - make breakfast and dinner ( he occasionally makes his special dishes)
- traffic and pet area sweep

Weekly:
- deep cleaning sweep
- attack with windex all things dusty

Together:
-grocery shopping - we always do this together.

He pays the bills and likes to fix things (but I usually grab it off him and fix it first). If I am tired which happens when I am working, he does the daily things. Half assed but still they are done and I don't let him know its half assed. I just smile at the dude clean. LOL Which is a lot better than most and he get so excited that he cleaned like a 10 year old. LOL (look mom!) Currently he is working and I am a student.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I'm not married/in a committed relationship, am not living with a girlfriend or anything, but if I were I think it would be fair to evenly split the housework. Once I get my career started I'm looking at working extremely long hours two or three days of the week- the rest of the week would be mine, and I would be fine with doing housework and stuff during the day so that my girlfriend/wife has more time to spend with me when she gets home.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Nice! I've noticed that 50-50 arrangements work well for a lot of people until children enter the picture. That's when things tend to go awry and get off balance.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:58 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
I'm in a long-distance relationship, and see my bf 2 to 4 weekends a month (depending on the time of year).

From the start, he has always had dinner ready for me when I get to his place on Friday night. (After I've worked a full day and driven over 2 hours....seems right to me.)

I will do what I can in terms of household upkeep when I am there, which includes doing laundry, washing dishes, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, it all depends on the couple, and what they feel right with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships