Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sure. I've been on my job for many years, but what I hear about the world of employment out there is scary!
Yep. I'm glad I sold my biz and work as a consultant now. My first rule of thumb? I refuse to have a difficult person for a client, particularly a rude one. It's really amazing what happens when you tell a prospect that you don't need the money badly enough to be treated in an unprofessional manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 05:49 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's really amazing what happens when you tell a prospect that you don't need the money badly enough to be treated in an unprofessional manner.
It's called DIGNITY....

Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM

530 posts, read 779,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
It's called DIGNITY....
It's really called don't use that color it's hard to read!!

But you're right though, dignity it is!!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:36 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
It's really called don't use that color it's hard to read!!

But you're right though, dignity it is!!
Could it be intentional...to stress a point???

Just joshing with you...thanks!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
How individuals within my 'circle' treat all people in general is the rule I follow. I don't limit the rule to 'dates' as, after all, I would like her to get along with my friends and my friends to get along with her.

[I endeavour to surround myself with happy people]

Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 PM

530 posts, read 779,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I doubt too many are interviewed over lunch or dinner these days anyway.
But it does happen, and how does one handle it?

I mean, there's the potential for bad breath if you order something with lots of onions and garlic. And what about the chances of food flying out of your mouth? Especially if your host says something he or she thinks is funny, ya gotta laugh, right?

Do you ask for a doggy bag, would that be appropriate? And should you even offer to pay? The check may be the only thing you'd get that day!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:

I mean, there's the potential for bad breath if you order something with lots of onions and garlic. And what about the chances of food flying out of your mouth? Especially if your host says something he or she thinks is funny, ya gotta laugh, right?

Do you ask for a doggy bag, would that be appropriate? And should you even offer to pay? The check may be the only thing you'd get that day!
They invited you and they pay. You say thank you for lunch. You don't order anything difficult to eat or highly seasoned. And you don't ask for a doggy bag. Not a good idea to order drinks either although that used to be common.

It's not really a lunch, it's an interview where they want to see if you can interact socially and have decent manners.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM

321 posts, read 533,919 times
Yep, that is the interview where the interviewers get to see appropriate reaction and behavior. On the other hand the interviewee gets a less stressful meeting place which is is neutral. The interview is as good as it gets.
The objective is - Let's eat first and we 'll talk later.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Luckily, at least this is one less thing I'll ever need to worry about. Hypothetically, I agree with Yellowsnow below. To me that's a stupid and uncomfortable way of doing an interview, though. C'mon... there's no need to pretend to be chummy... That's more like an American date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
They invited you and they pay. You say thank you for lunch. You don't order anything difficult to eat or highly seasoned. And you don't ask for a doggy bag. Not a good idea to order drinks either although that used to be common.

It's not really a lunch, it's an interview where they want to see if you can interact socially and have decent manners.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yep. I'm glad I sold my biz and work as a consultant now. My first rule of thumb? I refuse to have a difficult person for a client, particularly a rude one. It's really amazing what happens when you tell a prospect that you don't need the money badly enough to be treated in an unprofessional manner.
That's a fortunate position to be in, Cpg!

Reminds me of a company meeting once. The boss was trying to be funny and asked who didn't need a paycheck. Only one hand was raised. The dude is a retired military, so having a job for him is nice, but not absolutely necessary. Lucky him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships