Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM

25 posts, read 104,498 times

Advertisements

Hi

Attempting dating after 45? My goodness the world and morality has certainly changed.

What are some suggestions or helpful hints for the novice dater who is over the age of 45? Seems the dating scene and relationships in general have changed so much over the past 20 years.

What can a person do to attract a person for friendship socializing, dating, long-term relationships?

What is this "friends with benefits" business? What do you do when you just want to meet nice folks for friendship?

Practical_Lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,310 times
My tips:

* Take extra good care of yourself (go to the gym)
* Look nice even when you're just going to the grocery store
* Be approachable and friendly
* Open yourself to dating men who may not look like your "type" at first.
* Don't sit at home - fill your social calendar, make new friends, accept invitations, go places and do things.
* Have fun and enjoy!

"Friends with benefits" is sex with no strings attached. It sounds easy in theory but is difficult in practice. If you can express yourself sexually without getting your emotions involved, I applaud you. Not many women can pull it off.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,378,206 times
Just stay away from the dating sites, take the time to be ok, you may feel rushed but don't be. Most of the good ones really are taken but there are some great ones out there.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practical_lady View Post
Hi
What is this "friends with benefits" business? What do you do when you just want to meet nice folks for friendship?

Practical_Lady
I don't know you or your standards but this FWB business is when you have a guy come over to ********* a couple of times a week, and that's basically it. Gross in my opinion. We all deserve better than that.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
Don't let some of the judgmental negative nellies tell you that FWB is only for the "low-life" element. I had a couple of men who were initially friends - before my separation (at age 47). We became FWB and now that we are no longer having benefits, we are still friends. in the meantime, I met the most wonderful man who understands women. :shock: There aren't many. He knows that women have sexual needs just as men do. We have now been together for 13.5 years.

How do you meet really great men? Look at places where really great men hang out - and the last place you'll find them is in a bar/club. Join professional organizations, volunteer as a docent at museums, historical sites, teach English through the library program. Join. Whatever interests you have. Take a college course. A friend met her husband by taking his night class. They have been together for 20 years - I was in the same class. I met my husband in a chatroom -- shared interest not a dating site.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
45 is not to old and where have you been to act so naive? Networking, Go out with friends, join a meet up group. Ive gone to a couple and there were fun people of all ages there.
Many dating sites and places like Craigslist should be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by practical_lady View Post
Hi

Attempting dating after 45? My goodness the world and morality has certainly changed.

What are some suggestions or helpful hints for the novice dater who is over the age of 45? Seems the dating scene and relationships in general have changed so much over the past 20 years.

What can a person do to attract a person for friendship socializing, dating, long-term relationships?

Practical_Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
My tips:

* Don't sit at home - fill your social calendar, make new friends, accept invitations, go places and do things.
* Have fun and enjoy!

"Friends with benefits" is sex with no strings attached. It sounds easy in theory but is difficult in practice. If you can express yourself sexually without getting your emotions involved, I applaud you. Not many women can pull it off.
Not many men can pull it off either!

Good advice!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 08-02-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,872 times
You have received some very good advice. Re-read post #2 and post #5, NY Annie knows her way around here, she won't steer you wrong. Life is pretty much what you make it. I don't know if you are an outgoing person or not, if you are, it is easier to meet people than if you are on the shy side. If you are on the shy side, you might have to try a bit harder to put a smile on your face and meet people. You can actually meet people just about anywhere you might be, in the line at the grocery store, while waiting to check out a book at the library, at your favorite restaurant, yes even in a bar. But where you meet people will make a difference in what kind of people you meet. There are nice people that go to a bar, but your chances are really narrow meeting a suitable person there unless you also like that scene. What interests you makes a difference in where you "hang out', is there a Country Club where you live? Read your local newspaper to find out what is going on in the social scene. As far as friends with benefits, I suspect everyone feels a bit different about that. If you have a single male friend that helps around the house once in a while it's no one else's business what goes on between the two of you. Everyone can get lonesome just don't settle for less than what you want in a relationship. Don't forget, there are many really good people on this forum that will offer help when ever they can, so don't be a stranger...

Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
My tips:

* Have fun and enjoy!

Or men.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Another suggestion: look feminine. I see a lot of complaints on the Relationships and Fashion forums about women letting themselves get frumpy in the name of comfort. If you're going for a hike, then by all means wear comfortable shoes, but if you're going to dinner wear a dress.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 AM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Another suggestion: look feminine. I see a lot of complaints on the Relationships and Fashion forums about women letting themselves get frumpy in the name of comfort. If you're going for a hike, then by all means wear comfortable shoes, but if you're going to dinner wear a dress.
That and maybe a make over. I have a friend of mine that I have known forever, she also does not know how to dress. She has a very pretty face but never wears any make up to accentuate her best features and down play her not so good features. and anoher friend of mine is not as pretty naturally, but with make up: Wow, she is a stunner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships