Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:34 PM

936 posts, read 2,062,122 times

Advertisements

I never wonder about the one that got away.

I wonder about the one that WON'T GO AWAY! That one takes up much more of my concentration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 PM

159 posts, read 288,081 times
I saw the one I let get away a few weeks ago, she found the meth and now doesn't have a tooth in her head and is as crispy as a well done french fry but I found the one for me 32 yrs ago and haven't let go-- she has to be up for at a minimum of sainthood putting up with my sorry arse

Old 11-03-2011, 03:41 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It thought about my first "true love" every single day for about 25 years after we broke up. I thought about him, pined for him, thought about trying to get in touch with him (even though he has been married for many, many years).

Then one day, I happened to find his sister on Facebook. She was a friend of mine (and co-worker) which is how I met him. I was looking around on her page and there were pictures of him there.

He was in church, with his eyes closed and his hands reaching up in prayer.

At that instant, my opinion of him changed and I realized that it was probably a good thing that we did not end up together after all. It's amazing that after thinking about on a daily basis for almost 30 years, I never thought about him again. That was all it took for me to lose interest.

Funny how that works out sometimes.
Facebook and Twitter have KILLED my fantasy world too.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
I used to wonder but now I don't because I got her not back excatly I never had her to start. We were best friend's who were in love with each other & too young to know what to do next. She never told me how she felt & I never told her. She moved to another state & we kept in touch for a while & moved on. Twenty year's later we're back together & she's moving down here in Feb. We often thought of each other & looked for each other during that time. She looked for me in the state I moved out of so she never found me. I found her on Facebook last June. I've never been happier. During those years apart I had dream's of her & thought of her often, it seemed that she did the same. I'm glad I looked her up I know some people don't want to go back. There was always something about her that I never was able to get out of my mind or my heart.

JUst my two cents.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:45 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Yes, Reed ... sometimes there are those happy endings. I read a blog where the couple were boyfriend and girlfriend in high school 20 years ago. They lost touch and both married other people and moved away. Then they both got divorced, found each other on Facebook, and were living in the same state.

They just got married on October 22nd.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:46 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
I don't...oh wait I'm with the one that got away....

Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Yes, Reed ... sometimes there are those happy endings. I read a blog where the couple were boyfriend and girlfriend in high school 20 years ago. They lost touch and both married other people and moved away. Then they both got divorced, found each other on Facebook, and were living in the same state.

They just got married on October 22nd.

We,ve talked about marriage off & on before. I am going though a divorice at the moment myself. But the marriage has been over for two years now. We've lived in seprate houses for a while now. We're just getting around to filing for divorice. She was engaged to one guy for 7 years. She told me that something was wrong & not to marry the guy. He found someone else & dumped her. She told me the first time we talked about marriage that if we're together in 5 years she would marry me. Last Sat we talked about & I told her I know you said 5 but I was thinking more along the lines of 2 years. She laughed & asked me if I felt that I was that lucky. I told her yes!

Sorry she's one of my favorite topics I could go on!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
Several 'get away' all the time, no sense in brooding over it.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:09 AM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,642 times
Best love story I ever read! Also one of the best lessons I've read about... "The one who gives you the fantasy vs The one who gave you all of himself"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
For me, the one that got away was Don, my college sweetheart. He was tall, dark and handsome, and the first boy to ever say "I love you." When when said he wanted to marry me, I was over the moon. I dropped out of college, left my family and moved clear across the country to be near him while he finished school in his home state. Shortly after we became lovers, he presented me with an engagement ring.

The plan was that he would graduate, get a job, that we would get married and then I would finish school. We seldom saw each other, though, because he worked and went to school full time, and gradually we started drifting apart.

This was the Viet Nam era, and Don's college deferment was running out. He decided to enlist rather than risk getting drafted. We ended our engagement just before he left. It was the night that man first landed on the Moon, and all I remember about that night was both of us sitting in his bedroom crying after I gave him back his ring. We continued to date when he was on leave, but things were never the same. I always hoped that after he came back from the Army, we could pick up where we left off.

Instead he met and married the sister of an Army buddy. When I found out I was devastated, and shortly afterward I returned to my home state to start my life again. I dated a lot and had a couple of serious relationships, but none recaptured the magic of that first love. I never stopped thinking about Don and wondering what had happened to him.

Then one night he phoned. He told me that he was still married and his wife had just given birth to their second son. He had become a successful businessman working for a computer company. We chatted for a while, and then he said that he'd never stopped thinking about me and that he still loved me. He promised he'd keep in touch, but he never did.

Fast forward nearly twenty years. I was married had found a good-paying job despite my lack of a college degree. One night my husband called me at work to say I'd gotten a phone message. "Some guy named Don, and he left a phone number."

I called the number and there he was. He was in town for a business meeting, staying at a hotel. Once again he said he still loved me and hadn't stopped thinking of me. I asked him how his family was, and he gave me some bad news. His youngest son, the one who had just been born the last time we spoke, had been killed in an auto accident at age 19. I expressed my sympathy at such a heartbreaking loss. Don was disappointed to learn that I'd never had children, but I told him that this was all right with me. He had an early flight to catch so he ended the call, but once again he promised to keep in touch.

After that phone call I was in a daze. I couldn't stop fantasizing about Don and what would have happened if only we had stayed together. It took me a long time to get over the shock of hearing from him, and I would sometimes cry when I heard songs on the radio that made me think of him. I had to keep reminding myself that despite all Don's sweet talk, my husband was the one who really loved me because he was the one who married me and stood by me no matter what, while Don was all talk and no action.

Another 14 years passed. I often wondered where Don was and what he was doing. Then one night just before midnight, the phone rang. I thought it must be a wrong number, but I decided against letting the answering machine take it. When I picked up, a voice said, "Hi, this is Don." He sounded older and sadder than I remembered. I asked how things were going, and he said that he had been forced to retire early and that he was getting by with consulting jobs. His surviving son had lost an arm after developing a muscle infection following surgery for tendinitis.

Then Don asked me if I was still married, and I said yes. Then he said "My wife and I aren't getting along too well." I expressed my sympathy, and he said, "Why don't you leave your husband and we'll run away together?" I smiled to myself because years ago I would have loved to hear those words, but by now I had come to accept that he was never the one. If he had really loved me, he would have been there for me years ago when I needed him instead of marrying someone else.

I hung up the phone knowing that finally, more than 40 years after we broke up, I am finally at peace. My husband and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships