Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times

Advertisements

I have LOTS of friends who do not have a personal e-mail account. Some of them used to, but discovered that people don't really use it to communicate and they were not interested in getting "forward this to 10 people in the next 3 minutes or you will have bad luck for a year" or inspiring Power Point mantras so they closed their accounts.

Believe it or not, there are all kinds of folks who don't live or die by their PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Believe it or not, there are all kinds of folks who don't live or die by their PC.
True. I hardly touch a computer outside of work. But I do have a personal email. As do the people who claim to never use theirs due to spam and chain mail. They still have them.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
OP why don't you just ask for his number? If he doesn't give it to you then you will have your answer.

And I know a few people who don't have email addresses. Not all of them are older folks either.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
OP why don't you just ask for his number? If he doesn't give it to you then you will have your answer.

And I know a few people who don't have email addresses. Not all of them are older folks either.
Meh. I think if he wanted to maintain contact he would have offered when he said he didn't have email.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 AM

193 posts, read 450,156 times
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

Life is so damned complicated and confusing. Here I thought most of you would agree that almost everyone has a personal email address. I mean, after all, don't most organizations have rules about not using work resources for personal reasons? Also, my organization has made it clear that they have the right to monitor email and Internet use. I thought most others do as well for security reasons. So, I thought because of that, almost everyone who has a computer would also have a personal email so that they can keep their personal stuff private.

That's why I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganLady View Post
I think he probably senses your crush and knows a relationship isn't going to happen so he is easing out of having any kind of future friendship. That's what I would I would interpret when he says he wants to keep it "simple".

I've had coworkers leave too that I wish I could have kept in contact with but some people set up boundaries between work and socializing and I've had to just accept that and find my friends elsewhere. Wish him the best and give him your email address, who knows? Maybe someday he'll change his mind but if he doesn't, no harm done.
and this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
I think he doesn't want to stay in contact with you, and is hoping that by making it difficult for you to reach him outside of work, you'll leave him alone.

Sorry if that's harsh, but your friend is making excuses for him to try to soften the blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If he's no interested, it'll show over time. Nothing is going to change that.
The thing is that I always make the effort in maintaining contact in my very few "friendships". If I don't reach out, I wouldn't have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi
I gave him my number when we made plans for him to come over for dinner. He didn't give me his.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

Life is so damned complicated and confusing. Here I thought most of you would agree that almost everyone has a personal email address. I mean, after all, don't most organizations have rules about not using work resources for personal reasons? Also, my organization has made it clear that they have the right to monitor email and Internet use. I thought most others do as well for security reasons. So, I thought because of that, almost everyone who has a computer would also have a personal email so that they can keep their personal stuff private.
My husband's company have very strict rules about what outside sites they can view and hotmail was a site that was banned so he always just used his personal one. He doesn't excessively send private emails - maybe less than 10 a day. Now he has an ipad he could set up an email acct but everyone who wants to contact him uses his work address so there is no need really.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
He doesn't excessively send private emails - maybe less than 10 a day.
I don't send 10 e-mails in a week, just to offer some perspective.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
You go out and find that "one" person.
If they are ONLINE, they have a personal email address.

Right here! No personal email. I get on line and have an email at work. Until 6 months ago no TV. 2 years ago I broke down and got a phone. I have a computer at home to run my embroidery machine. There are people that dont care for all those annoyances. I curse the day I got a phone and TV. Cant wait till my contract ends then its back to green acres.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Right here! No personal email. I get on line and have an email at work. Until 6 months ago no TV. 2 years ago I broke down and got a phone. I have a computer at home to run my embroidery machine. There are people that dont care for all those annoyances. I curse the day I got a phone and TV. Cant wait till my contract ends then its back to green acres.
I call your bluff.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
You go out and find that "one" person.
If they are ONLINE, they have a personal email address.
Most of my close friends own their own businesses, and they all seem to use the same email account for everything.

Not everyone works for a big company and has to worry about mixing friends and business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships