Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:30 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,393,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Didn't know you could tell another person who they can and cannot like. I have friends who are friends with somebody I can't stand, but as long as they don't bring them along when they come somewhere I invited, then it's none of my business who their friends are. Imagine that!
This thread is about I-MA-GI-NA-RY friend, so it is for fun purposes.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,634,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
This thread is about I-MA-GI-NA-RY friend, so it is for fun purposes.
As my friend Harvey once told me, even imaginary friends can teach you something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman
Didn't know you could tell another person who they can and cannot like.
Why not? Our government does it all the time when we go to war ... our employers tell us we can't show our like of coworkers by dating them ... online dating services make the decisions about who you're going to meet and, therefore, like ... our parents tell us not to befriend THAT guy, because he's "bad" ...

Quote:
I have friends who are friends with somebody I can't stand, but as long as they don't bring them along when they come somewhere I invited, then it's none of my business who their friends are. Imagine that!
So you totally trust every one of your friends? Totally? With your life?

You're very trusting.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
As my friend Harvey once told me, even imaginary friends can teach you something.

Why not? Our government does it all the time when we go to war ... our employers tell us we can't show our like of coworkers by dating them ... online dating services make the decisions about who you're going to meet and, therefore, like ... our parents tell us not to befriend THAT guy, because he's "bad" ...

So you totally trust every one of your friends? Totally? With your life?

You're very trusting.
Oh so this thread is supposed to be serious?

Well, in that case, all your examples (aside from online dating service) are examples of SUPERIORS (govenrment, employers, parents) making up the rules. Unless you consider yourself to be SUPERIOR over George, then you have no right to tell him who to be friends with. George however, should have enough common sense not to be friends with someone you hate, not to ruin the friendship with you.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Oh so this thread is supposed to be serious?
It is whatever your lovely heart deems it to be, m'Lady.

However, it IS based on factual events ...

Quote:
Well, in that case, all your examples (aside from online dating service) are examples of SUPERIORS (govenrment, employers, parents) making up the rules. Unless you consider yourself to be SUPERIOR over George, then you have no right to tell him who to be friends with. George however, should have enough common sense not to be friends with someone you hate, not to ruin the friendship with you.
Excellent point!

So only our superiors can tell us who to like and dislike, right?

... and I thought this government was "by the people, for the people" ... not "over the people" ...

Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It is whatever your lovely heart deems it to be, m'Lady.

However, it IS based on factual events ...

Excellent point!

So only our superiors can tell us who to like and dislike, right?

... and I thought this government was "by the people, for the people" ... not "over the people" ...
Well, in this world, whether we like it or not, we have to live by the rules and there is nothing we can do about it. That has to do with whom we are allowed or not allowed to associate (not sure about like or dislike, they have no power over our internal preferences or desires).

Depeche Mode - Master And Servant - 1984 - YouTube

In terms of your friend George, well, he should consider your feelings as a friend and not be friends with someone you hate (and it doesn't matter why you hate Chester, maybe you are completely in the wrong, as a friend, George should support you.)

Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Well, in this world, whether we like it or not, we have to live by the rules and there is nothing we can do about it.
So you are saying that we're born into slavery and never escape?

Quote:
(Depeche Mode)
One of my favorite groups - thank you!

Quote:
In terms of your friend George, well, he should consider your feelings as a friend and not be friends with someone you hate (and it doesn't matter why you hate Chester, maybe you are completely in the wrong, as a friend, George should support you.)
I agree 100%.

But then, I suppose it also depends upon how much George values our friendship.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that we're born into slavery and never escape?

One of my favorite groups - thank you!

I agree 100%.

But then, I suppose it also depends upon how much George values our friendship.
Why never escape slavery? I am hoping this order of life will stay and end in this life and beyond this life, we should be free as birds.
Yes, it does depend on how much George values you as a friend.
How much do YOU value George? Are you willing to overlook this betrayal?

PS: DM is one of my favorites too.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Why never escape slavery? I am hoping this order of life will stay and end in this life and beyond this life, we should be free as birds.
So hope, faith and belief play a role here ... interesting.

Quote:
Yes, it does depend on how much George values you as a friend.
How much do YOU value George? Are you willing to overlook this betrayal?
Good point. I suppose if George isn't an all-time favorite I can toss him to the wolves. As for overlooking betrayal, I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure I personally could do that.

Forgive, maybe. Forget, never.

Quote:
PS: DM is one of my favorites too.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,479,158 times
Keep your friends close - and your enemies closer. "Befriend" Chester and keep an eye on George!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,014,164 times
No one dictates who I am or am not friends with.

Putting myself in your shoes - Chester can shove it. And unless George proves himself unworthy, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships